Hi folks,

I've just joined the site and thought I'd say hello. I'm Woody and I live in Wiltshire, UK.

I've been learning Anglo since April last year - I'm plodding along & finding it hard going sometimes - I know where my fingers should go but they rebel. Still I shall persist and one day they might obey me.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Chris Timson who gave me lots of helpful advice (thanks once again Chris) and I'm just back from Kilve reinvigorated by John Kirkpatrick's inspiring teaching and all the nice people you get to meet there.

I've currently got a Jones G/D 26 key and a cheap Stephanelli 30 key C/G which was bought specifically to live in my kitchen where I get lots of time to try working things out while waiting for things to cook.

Hi folks,

I've just joined the site and thought I'd say hello. I'm Woody and I live in Wiltshire, UK.

and I'm just back from Kilve reinvigorated by John Kirkpatrick's inspiring teaching and all the nice people you get to meet there.

Hello Woody and welcome. I expect I saw you at Kilve but did not get to speak to everyone, and i was going to English & duet workshops. See my post under the topic Anyone Going To W.c.c.p. Kilve 2006?. You probably picked up information that the WCCP have regular monthly meetings at Ruishton near Taunton, which might be a place you could get to, and could help I between periodic events like kilve.

Best wishes

John Wild

Edited to add PS: Woody, could you please provise a tranlation of the Latin quote at the end of your posting?

PPS: can anyone tell me how to create a link to another thread in the same instead of just quoting the title of the thread as i have done above?

Edited by John Wild

I expect I saw you at Kilve but did not get to speak to everyone

Yes I spoke to loads of people too, but I've got a bad memory for names at the best of times & when confronted with loads and loads of names my brain goes and hides until everything quietens down again :unsure:

You probably picked up information that the WCCP have regular monthly meetings at Ruishton near Taunton, which might be a place you could get to, and could help I between periodic events like kilve.

Yes I hope to get to some of these but so far they have been on weekends that I can't make.

PS: Woody, could you please provise a tranlation of the Latin quote at the end of your posting?

I don't know very much Latin so I've taken the translation on trust (which with the internet is often a bad idea - it could mean something quite different!)

Antiquis temporibus nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

In the good old days, children like you were left to perish on windswept crags.

Welcome, Woody! You're likely to find this site a source for useful information, helpful advice, friendly banter, and more than you ever thought you'd want or need to know about the sqeeze box!

Thanks Allison - I already seem to have found out more about squeeze boxes than I ever expected to. I've been playing guitar for lots of years and, apart from a few odd things like how to change strings, I've managed to remain blissfully ignorant.

A few months of playing an Anglo and I've already come across concepts such as sticking keys, leaky bellows, reed pan layout, real and hybrid concertinas and of course the debate regarding the relative merits of Anglo, English and Duet systems. I'm also fighting a battle to stop me spending far more money than I can afford on a better box.

Sometimes I wish I'd fallen for the Tin Whistle instead of the Anglo....... sometimes - but not for very long.

W

Hi Woody, we met over lunch (and in the bar) at Kilve; David, with the Maccan duet and pony-tail. I'll second your comments, it was excellent fun and really inspiring. If anyone involved in the organising is looking, thanks very much indeed!

Incidentally, there's no debate over the relative merits of anglo/english/duet if you have a duet...

Hi Woody, we met over lunch (and in the bar) at Kilve; David, with the Maccan duet and pony-tail. I'll second your comments, it was excellent fun and really inspiring. If anyone involved in the organising is looking, thanks very much indeed!

Incidentally, there's no debate over the relative merits of anglo/english/duet if you have a duet...

Hi David - good to hear from you. Also a very good point - thanks to the organisers for an excellent weekend.

Personally I think it's disappointing that an adventurous soul like your good self should need the security blanket of all those extra buttons & notes rather than braving it in the dare-devil world of Anglo-dom :D

Sometimes I wish I'd fallen for the Tin Whistle instead of the Anglo.......

Check out the complexities on the Chiff & Fipple website, and you'll know you made the right choice. ;)

And the relative merits of the different duets? :D

Personally I think it's disappointing that an adventurous soul like your good self [i.e., Dirge=David] should need the security blanket of all those extra buttons & notes rather than braving it in the dare-devil world of Anglo-dom :D

Meself, I enjoy the variety of the various different systems. :)

Hi folks,

Hi Woody,

Welcome to the fold...I too live in Wiltshire, just a few miles north of Chippenham.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Chris Timson who gave me lots of helpful advice

Not met Chris myself yet, but am planning of going along to one of the sessions he runs at Bradford-on-Avon...maybe we'll meet up there?

Cheers,

Paul

Check out the complexities on the Chiff & Fipple website, and you'll know you made the right choice. ;)

Yep - I play the odd (very odd when I play it) tune on the Whistle. It comes with it's own problems but you can buy a top notch one for less than the price of a Stagi and I wouldn't be facing a future where I have to sell my family into slavery to upgrade. Still, I'm sure they'll understand.

Welcome to the fold...I too live in Wiltshire, just a few miles north of Chippenham.

Hi Paul - not far from me then, I'm in Malmesbury.

Not met Chris myself yet, but am planning of going along to one of the sessions he runs at Bradford-on-Avon...maybe we'll meet up there?

It's well worth going to, I've been a few times and it's a very friendly and welcoming group, but I'm not quite up to the standard I want to be to go regularly at the moment. The last time I was there I was trying to play along to Princess Royal and I thought "Wow - I'm doing really well" - then I realised I was listening to Chris' playing - not my own :rolleyes:

Under your interests in says Morris Dancing/Playing - which side are you with? I play guitar for Malmesbury Morris

W

Antiquis temporibus nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Quisque comoedus est

Illud iterum dicere potes!

(I somehow feel this thread is going off at a tangent)

It's well worth going to, I've been a few times and it's a very friendly and welcoming group,

Thanks for the commendation. Don't feel put off from coming by the fact that we play the tunes we know more than the tunes we don't (oh shame, shame).

Welcome to the forum. If you don't find inspiration here you won't find it anywhere.

Cheers,

Chris

Don't feel put off from coming by the fact that we play the tunes we know more than the tunes we don't (oh shame, shame).

The thing that puts me off at the moment is that I'm not happy with how I play the tunes I do know!

Welcome to the forum. If you don't find inspiration here you won't find it anywhere.

thanks Chris - I think you're right.

I don't know very much Latin so I've taken the translation on trust (which with the internet is often a bad idea - it could mean something quite different!)

In the good old days, children like you were left to perish on windswept crags

Thanks - I did latin at school nearly 40 years ago, but have obviously forgotten most of the vocabulary.

- john