Anglo For Sale In Buy And Sell

Any one else see this and find it odd ? I wonder why not the USA,and why not Monaco, the Vatican or Bolivia.

We had a discussion before where some have said they didn't like seeing Britain's "heritage" being exported ( also odd...........I wonder what percentage of Wheatstone/Lachenal concertinas were made for the export market ?)

But why single out the USA.........is it a politically motivated not to sell concertinas to the States? If it is it appeals to me more than other hostile stands people take or express. ;)

I'm shortly going to the Button Box Concertina workshop..............I'll let you know if they are being brought to their knees.

Robin

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've recently ordered a new concertina. My choice came down to a Marcus Music, or a Morse. Now, all the smart money in this group advised me to go for the Morse, particulalry as I play for Morris.

In the end, I went for the Marcus....why?

a) It's Welsh, and so am I.

B) Having a dragon on it is cool.

c) He lives just up the road so repair, should it be needed is no problem.

d) Price was right.

On the other hand, I get furious when I see the onward march of American globalisation...Starbucks and MuckDonalds everywhere. Then there's the war.....and yes, I know that the UK are involved in it as well, but it just doesn't feel right anymore supporting American businesses...

As for why anybody would refuse to sell their concertina to the states........could it be that.

a) Concertinas are nice things.

B) They make nice music.

c) The people that hear the music enjoy the music and become happy?

and so :-

d) Why would I want a concertina to go to the land that gave the world the Big Mac?

Just a thought,

Phil

I've recently ordered a new concertina. My choice came down to a Marcus Music, or a Morse. Now, all the smart money in this group advised me to go for the Morse, particulalry as I play for Morris.

In the end, I went for the Marcus....why?

a) It's Welsh, and so am I.

B) Having a dragon on it is cool.

d) Price was right.

On the other hand, I get furious when I see the onward march of American globalisation...Starbucks and MuckDonalds everywhere. Then there's the war.....and yes, I know that the UK are involved in it as well, but it just doesn't feel right anymore supporting American businesses...

As for why anybody would refuse to sell their concertina to the states........could it be that.

a) Concertinas are nice things.

B) They make nice music.

c) The people that hear the music enjoy the music and become happy?

d) Why would I want a concertina to go to the land that gave the world the Big Mac?

Just a thought,

Phil

the local factor is nice. that is why i prefer to chose instrument makers on this continent.

a lot of the things that i buy and interact with in every day life are from china, and i speak a little chinese, and am taking chinese class in school. but that doesnt mean i support their policies, or their government, or the way they treat their own people.

phil, i think you hit it on the head, "go to the land..." its not about people, its about nothing. land doesnt start wars, land doesnt make bad food or bad music, people do. also, a person is not responsible for the actions of the whole.

last time i checked, the u.k. had a much stronger history globalization than the u.s. ever has. i believe the phrase, "the sun never set on the british empire" comes to mind.

the most amazing thing about life, is that boundaries dont matter, and that objects are irrelevent compared to people. i think that if every concertina in the world got destroyed, it would be tragic, but as long as people are ok, then everythings going just fine.

Why would I mind a concertina going to a land that-

a) has so many people I call friends, and

B)

is doing so much through makers and scholars and supporters and players to ensure the long life and continuity of the instrument I love?

Chris

I am surprised to see that someone has thought of the concertina as a politicized commodity.

To me, the concertina is an icon of the Folk community, and the Folk community is characterized (generally, here in North America at least) by feelings of a shared spirit of friendliness, and not divisiveness. When someone pulls out a concertina we can all share the good feelings, whether the concertina is Italian, German, English, or American.

Just a thought,

Phil

or the land that gave the world Tom Jones and larver bread? I guess seaweed is healthier than a Big Mac, not sure about the tight trousers though.

Guest Peter Laban

I didn't see the particular post but on the other side of the argument I have seen dozens of instances of people selling flutes, whistles, the odd concertina etc on other forums and on e-bay who expressly state : 'Will not send outside US' . I found this infuriating (as did others), especially when I was interested in the item for sale.

When asked reasons given were often : too much hassle to send abroad, no experience with the outside world, afraid customs will give trouble, too big a chance the buyer is a scam artist (anyone outside the US is suspect to some people).

Anyhow, there may be a multitude of reasons for the condition of the sale, not necessarily political. Not nice to be on the receiving end is it?

Edited by Peter Laban

Not nice to be on the receiving end is it?

There are two separate issues, the one that was posed by the discussion topic ("Don't want it to go to the USA") and the one you just brought up, about customs, taxes, and the hassle of shipping ("Can't ship it to the USA"). The first has to do with political views, and the second to do with the special difficulties of selling abroad. There are plenty of UK sellers who do not sell to US customers because of customs, taxes and the hassle of shipping, and vice versa with US sellers. I don't see any use in confusing these separate issues, or in treating the concertina as a politicized commodity.

Guest Peter Laban
There are two separate issues, the one that was posed by the discussion topic ("Don't want it to go to the USA") and the one you just brought up, about customs, taxes, and the hassle of shipping ("Can't ship it to the USA"). The first has to do with political views, and the second to do with the special difficulties of selling abroad. There are plenty of UK sellers who do not sell to US customers because of customs, taxes and the hassle of shipping, and vice versa with US sellers. I don't see any use in confusing these separate issues, or in treating the concertina as a politicized commodity.

As I said, I didn't see the concertina that prompted this thread advertised so I am not fully sure what the motivation of the seller was. I am not sure either what the real reasons were behind the 'won't ship outside US', in a lot of cases my impression was people were afraid dealing with 'outsiders' whom they obviously felt they couldn't trust by definition. Politicised or xenophobe, I find either way grating.

I am not sure either what the real reasons were behind the 'won't ship outside US', in a lot of cases my impression was people were afraid dealing with 'outsiders' whom they obviously felt they couldn't trust by definition. Politicised or xenophobe, I find either way grating.

With all the discussion on C.net about Internet frauds, I would imagine that not selling abroad where it's harder to check out a person's credentials for an expensive purchase like a concertina is quite simply a precautionary measure. Friendliness toward others doesn't outweigh practical caution to protect oneself when much is at stake. Moreover, I've never met any concertina players whom I would call even remotely xenophobic. But there must be one somewhere, to judge by this discussion topic.

We had a discussion before where some have said they didn't like seeing Britain's "heritage" being exported ( also odd...
Yes, that is odd: Wasn't much of US (and Canadian and Australian and ...) culture exported from Britain to begin with? There certainly are some negative aspects of US culture; why not reinforce the positive ones by sending over some concertinas?

That's the best reason of all.

What about the thousands of small American businesses, many (half?) of which are led by people who would like to see Bush & Cheney impeached, and the war ended?
Why would I want a concertina to go to the land that gave the world the Big Mac?
Because it will increase the concertina-to-Big-Mac ratio.

When asked reasons given were often : too much hassle to send abroad, no experience with the outside world, afraid customs will give trouble, too big a chance the buyer is a scam artist (anyone outside the US is suspect to some people).
eBay and PayPal offer some safeguards to US sellers dealing with US buyers that aren't there when dealing abroad.

............"I WOULD LIKE THIS CONCERTINA TO STAY IN THE UK AND NOT GO TO THE US".............................what grated with me was that although he would prefer it to stay in the UK, he WILL sell it anywhere, but preferably not the States. Selling and sending to the states is as easy as anywhere else abroad,so I don't think it's a postage issue.

Peter, the ad. is on this forums "Buy &Sell" on the opening window. Robin

............"I WOULD LIKE THIS CONCERTINA TO STAY IN THE UK AND NOT GO TO THE US".............................what grated with me was that although he would prefer it to stay in the UK, he WILL sell it anywhere, but preferably not the States. Selling and sending to the states is as easy as anywhere else abroad,so I don't think it's a postage issue.

Peter, the ad. is on this forums "Buy &Sell" on the opening window. Robin

I'm not so sure he's willing to sell ANYWHERE outside the UK. He seems especially fearful that the US will suck it in, and he will lose it forever. I wonder if he wants to maintain visitation rights.

"30 key LACHENEL wooden ended ango concertina referbed to high standard offers over£1,350 it plays like a dream. I WOULD LIKE THIS CONCERTINA TO STAY IN THE UK AND NOT GO TO THE US"

The ad is here.

Does sound a little xenophobic to me. Or perhaps the seller just doesn't want to be too far away from his concertina's wavelength . . .

Edited by greenferry

Guest Peter Laban
The ad is here.

Does sound a little xenophobic to me. Or perhaps the seller just doesn't want to be too far away from his concertina's wavelength . . .

OK I was looking for it on the Buy and Sell forum, not in the classifieds. I still don't really see any obvious political or xenophobic notions. 'Prefer not to sell to US' can have a whole lot of reasons. As I said, it's no fun being on the excluded end.

[OK I was looking for it on the Buy and Sell forum, not in the classifieds. I still don't really see any obvious political or xenophobic notions. 'Prefer not to sell to US' can have a whole lot of reasons. As I said, it's no fun being on the excluded end.

The phrase I saw smells distinctly like something political or xenophobic (okay by me).

I WOULD LIKE THIS CONCERTINA TO STAY IN THE UK AND NOT GO TO THE US

Sentiments along these lines have been expressed here before and I believe are an aberration. Mostly the C.Net community has been a safe harbor where we can commune with like minded souls on what matters (wonder what that could be?). For this I'm grateful. Besides, isn't it the full moon just now? I might be howling mad by evening meself (I rather look forward to that ):P !

Edited by Mark Evans