Bourrée: On d'onderon garda

Gary Chapin

Hi Gary,

I don't know about a recording, but this video includes a certain Mr. Day on anglo:

Maybe Alan could advise whether he knows of a commercial recording, or, perhaps, put up a solo recording on YouTube. :-)

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Gary,

I don't know about a recording, but this video includes a certain Mr. Day on anglo:

Maybe Alan could advise whether he knows of a commercial recording, or, perhaps, put up a solo recording on YouTube. :-)

Regards,

Peter.

Firstly ,it's nice to know what it is called.I am happy to do a solo of it if you wish Gary.I sound pretty dominant on this George recording however. I could do a single note once through and then chords if you would like me to.

Thanks Peter.

Al

Hi Gary,

Regards,

Peter.

Firstly ,it's nice to know what it is called.I am happy to do a solo of it if you wish Gary.I sound pretty dominant on this George recording however. I could do a single note once through and then chords if you would like me to.

Thanks Peter.

Al

Just been listening to your original recording Gary ,you have it all there tune,rhythm and dancing speed.

Very slightly different to The George version which is obviously the one I know.

Al

Just been listening to your original recording Gary ,you have it all there tune,rhythm and dancing speed.

Very slightly different to The George version which is obviously the one I know.

Al

Hey, Al, thanks for the kind words. I would love to hear a solo recording. I'm interested not so much to learn from, but because I'm a bit obsessed with this tune and the way different instruments and performers do it. I was listening to the different versions and -- maybe others don't see them as different -- I was struck that each had a very different character. So I am very interested in how you'd do it.

Firstly ,it's nice to know what it is called.

But we'll never know how it's spelled!

But we'll never know how it's spelled!

According to the 'source' which found:

X:6

T:On d'onoren gorda

R:Bourrée à 3 temps

A:Massif Central

O:France

M:3/4

Q:1/4=210

K:G

G2|ABc2B2|ABc2d2|c4B2|A2G2G2|ABc2B2|ABc2d2|c4B2|A4:|

G2|ABc2B2|G2A2B2|G3GF2|G2A2G2|\ABc2B2|G2A2B2|G3GF2|G6:|

From the recordings I have:

Sylvain Piron: On d'onderon garda

José Roux: Ont tirarem gardar?

Christian Bessier: On Onarem Gardar

Unknown Player: Ont Anarem Gardar

On d'onderon garda, which you site, is in the Mel Stevens/Dave Mallinson set, and that's the spelling I use, but who can say???

As promised Gary ,Sorry about the out of focus start but it's OK when the music starts.

I didn't like the single note start hope this is OK

Also my hair,just washed it and can't do a thing with it !!

Now where have I heard that before ?

Al

Wow, Alan, that's lovely. Very interesting stuff happening on your left hand. There's been a lot of discussion over on Mel.net about how to approach the left hand with three beat bourrees. Your approach seems to focus on the 3-1 rhythm (with a lot of variation according to the melody), but has some harmonically cool stuff happening. Thanks for posting this. What a great resource. Now to UPDATE blog.

Wow, Alan, that's lovely. Very interesting stuff happening on your left hand. There's been a lot of discussion over on Mel.net about how to approach the left hand with three beat bourrees. Your approach seems to focus on the 3-1 rhythm (with a lot of variation according to the melody), but has some harmonically cool stuff happening. Thanks for posting this. What a great resource. Now to UPDATE blog.

Thanks Gary

This type of bourree when dancing and playing you count 123-123 as you mention so the emphasis should be on the first note and add the other two beats for effect.The last time through is mainly how the French Melodion players play it.The start of the tune and the finish is very common in Central France but mainly for the Auvergne Region.

As a difference in style and timing have a look at the very exciting tune Chasse Pain

Al

As a difference in style and timing have a look at the very exciting tune Chasse Pain

Al

Spook, pretty much the last tune I just played before putting the 'tina down and checking in to Cnet.

It had gone out of my head for a few weeks, and then I was playing the brilliant Claeys, Paris, Chabenat and Decombel 'Live en Flandre' CD with a storming version of that tune on it.

Great tune indeed, and a nice version Alan!

And I was just thinking, "I've got to take the leap, spend the coin, and get that CD!"

Spooky indeed!

Ah, Gary, you've just got to buy that CD. Great tunes, lovely arrangements, top-notch playing, and some wonderfully mad improvisational moments as you'd expect with Fred Paris and Gilles Chabenat on board. If 'Live en Flandre' leaves you cold then I'm afraid it's official - you just don't like French trad dance music :)

• 1 month later...

Gary here is a very similar bourée to the one you are playing.I will find the name if you like it.

The speed and timing is just about right for dancing a two time bourée. (just danced to it).An old Rosbif tune.

I am playing this in D but all on the G row,starting off on the pull

Al

Edited by Alan Day