Upgrading Rochelle Hand Straps

cryptastix

I have the Elise Hayden duet, which is the fraternal twin of the Rochelle, I believe. The straps are perfectly functional, but I got the feeling in a month or so that they were sort of "rough" on the back of my hands, particularly the right. So....what I did was grab a tired wool sock with thin toe, cut the toe out, double/triple the sock on itself, and thread it around the strap. Voila, a much improved, comfortable "custom" strap.

Perhaps that will help you, too. By the way, it may have been inspired by a similar "look" on C-net active member Jody Kruskal's posts. I don't know if Jody uses a sock, or some other padding....

Regards,

David

FWIW, I have the sock padding the right, and am in the first hole. That leaves about 3/8" of space under my palm when I pull, and leaves enough room to move to all keys. I didn't feel the same minor discomfort on the left, and have not padded it. On that, I have the fifth (of six) hole engaged. As far as support goes, I guess the padded side feels more supported. I have not found the need to pad my Anglo straps, for some reason....well, one of four, I did. I had the extra sock, you know.

Regards,

David

• 6 months later...

If you are interested in support, here is what I do. I use soft wrist braces -- wrap around types with velcro. Sometimes I use carpal tunnel braces, too (I struggle with carpal tunnel for over a decade). This adds support for my wrists and keeps my hands from getting numb. Here is a link to the wrap-around ones I use when I play the concertina: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IEZAS4K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are many other versions of this available.

• 3 months later...

My first question is wear are you feeling or noticing the stress or annoyance? From that point we can look at what would be the best fix for the issue.

Is it possible that the "best" solution could involve changing what one does with the hands to hold the instrument, instead of or in addition to something involving the straps?

Edited by JimLucas