Reed Generated Vibrations Path Of Travel Through A Concertina.

It was tuned on the plate out of the instrument, sounded different there also. The bandoneon I tuned last year was also tuned out of the instrument, then fine tuned within: in both instances the instrument had the harmonica sound, before and after tuning, the sound I associate with tango music, very different to when tango is played on accordion. Sounded like this on youtube: Astor Piazzolla - Bandoneón

Well then, it is *known* that several factors influence differences in *tone* from different reeds - different tongue material and shape, different shoe material and shape e t c . Maybe systematic research has been done, but reports seem to be few. So David, go ahead! Some kind of tone spectrometric registration and documentation is necessary to make findings objective. Sadly enough our ears sometimes are more sensitive than the equipment or at least interpretaton of technical findings vs audible sensations is a challenge.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be psychological effect. Your brain is used to a certain note coming from a certain button, and "hears" it, even with the reeds out. What your ear hears is just the rush of air, but your brain tries to fill in what's missing.

That has been shown to happen in all sorts of ways, so there's no reason that it shouldn't happen when playing an empty concertina.

It's like feeling your toes, even when your leg's been amputated.

..." like feeling your toes, even when your leg's been amputated"

This phenomenon - "phantom pain "- is usually not explained as a "psychological effect" but rather as a physiological/neurological effect from a misinterpretation by the brain of remaining sensory input from the cut-off peripheral nerves. ...There likely is some "psychology" involved as well...

After trying it out some times as I said I do wonder however *what* psychology might be involved if you ..." hear the approximate pitches from the air rushing through the tuned chambers"...

then you would "hear" the notes coming out also when manipulating the buttons without moving the bellows. I definitely do not myself, but by systematic intentional training maybe you can learn to "play" a silent instrument and "hear" it as well. I might guess that hearsay is involved in the *empty tuned chamber phenomenon"

I suppose people playing "air guitar" are the most common example. They don't just "hear" it, they become Jimi Hendrix !!