Arran And Concertina's

So ...

Who all's a-comin'?

This is too good to miss. I will start seriously thinking about it, Samantha!

Anybody else from this part of the word thinking about coming (besides Jim :) )?

I have a colleague who regularly travels between southern Sweden (Copenhagen, Kastrup). I'll have a talk with him.

Henrik

Henrik,

To answer your question: As the starter of this topic, I feel (happily) obliged to come

:) :) :)

see this quote:

To get an idea of how it can be in autumn, I included a photo that I made last saturday morning (November 20) from Dippin Lodge (where we stayed) looking south to the small island of Ailsa Craig.

arran4.jpg

To conclude: Arran is a great place and I look forward to the next autumn. I will be there!

This how it looks in November! So when we have the ACE meeting in the beginning of October, we better take our swimming gear with us!

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gratified to see the interest. I am trying to keep a list of all interested parties, but if you want to book (and therefore be sure of) a place please email/personal message me stating so clearly.

Henk, don't feel guilty, I've been meaning to hold this event since moving back here in 2001, it's just taken a little while for the bunkhouse project to get off the ground (but that doesn't mean that you can weasel out of coming now!)

Samantha

I'm gratified to see the interest. I am trying to keep a list of all interested parties, but if you want to book (and therefore be sure of) a place please email/personal message me stating so clearly.

Henk, don't feel guilty, I've been meaning to hold this event since moving back here in 2001, it's just taken a little while for the bunkhouse project to get off the ground (but that doesn't mean that you can weasel out of coming now!)

Samantha

Samantha

I booked already by e-mail some days ago. Did you receive my mail?

So I am not weaseling out (what a nice expression!). I am certainly not feeling iffy on this (that's another expression I learned on this forum). :)

There seems the potential for a higher than average concentration of brass players at this event - (four definites and a couple of maybes). If that is so, we may be able to work something out for a wee brass group on the side ...

Anybody else from this part of the word thinking about coming (besides Jim  :) )?

Warning! Warning! Invaders from the Southern Hempishere! :ph34r:

[Martin (my beloved hubby) and I will be there, all the way from Australia! :D]

Please be warned that I have a rather small repetoire and still consider myself a beginning, so please be gentle on me at the sessions! :P

Cheers

Morgana

Don't worry Morgana, I'm currently limited to one scots, one not sure and 2 morris tunes.

Must try to learn something else - hmm, but what? <_<

Any suggestions for a couple of 'standard tunes', anybody?

Don't worry Morgana, I'm currently limited to one scots, one not sure and 2 morris tunes.

Hi Hilary: which scots tune? I don't know any morris but am happy to learn. I will trade you for a couple of slow Irish tunes :D

Cheers,

Morgana :)

There seems the potential for a higher than average concentration of brass players at this event - (four definites and a couple of maybes). If that is so, we may be able to work something out for a wee brass group on the side ...

Ah, if only I could still play... mind you, if I was still playing the tuba, I'd never have taken up the concertina, so I suppose I can't complain :)

Hi Morgana,

'Rocks of Brae' is the scots, 'Banbury Bill' and 'Old Taylor' for the morris and I'm trying to learn 'Bumpers of Stretham'. Unfortunately I don't understand the ABC tabulature and I can't handle the dynamics for the tadpoles, so I usually learn by ear on the whistle and then try to tranfer it to the concertina. :D

Warning! Warning! Invaders from the Southern Hempishere!  :ph34r:

[Martin (my beloved hubby) and I will be there, all the way from Australia! :D]

Please be warned that I have a rather small repetoire and still consider myself a beginning, so please be gentle on me at the sessions! :P

Cheers

Morgana

Morgana, it's great that you are coming to Arran. We could play An Paistin Fion together :) . If possible, bring some Australian tunes with you.

If the "atmosphere" at the Arran Concertina Event is about the same as at the Scandinavian Squeeze In (SSI), I am sure that it does not matter at all if your repertoire is small! I understood that Samantha is very charmed of the SSI atmosphere ;) . So don't worry, there are at least 6 months left for learning some new tunes.

Samantha, do you have any plans for building a second sleeping bunk??

Edited by Henk van Aalten

• 2 months later...

I have recently returned from the Swaledale Squeeze where considerable interest was expressed in the Arran Concertina Event. It was nice to meet a couple of those who've booked already: these people told me of a couple of other c.netters who it seems are interested - do contact me if you haven't already. I also visited the newly completed bunk house last night - it really is superb and has been rechristened 'Kilmory Lodge'! I'm afraid the cost of the weekend has gone up to £60/head as a result, sorry folks.

I can confirm that haggis, neeps and tatties will be on the menu one night (vegetarian haggis for those that require it), and hope to build a distillery visit in on the Friday afternoon for those arriving on the 12.30 ferry or earlier.

Samantha

I have recently returned from the Swaledale Squeeze where considerable interest was expressed in the Arran Concertina Event. It was nice to meet a couple of those who've booked already: these people told me of a couple of other c.netters who it seems are interested - do contact me if you haven't already. I also visited the newly completed bunk house last night - it really is superb and has been rechristened 'Kilmory Lodge'! I'm afraid the cost of the weekend has gone up to £60/head as a result, sorry folks.

I can confirm that haggis, neeps and tatties will be on the menu one night (vegetarian haggis for those that require it), and hope to build a distillery visit in on the Friday afternoon for those arriving on the 12.30 ferry or earlier.

Samantha

Thanks for the prod Samantha - I must get my backside in gear and book that ferry ticket... :)