Something For The Weekend?

Pete Dunk

This tune's a cracker for keeping the fingers busy on a wet weekend. It was played by Jack Campin in the Euro sessions at this years Whitby Folk Festival biggrin.gif

it's Andalusian Arabic in 10/8 and sounds well on the concertina

I've got a year to get it up to speed ready for the next Euro sessions laugh.gifLamma Bada Yatathanna.pdf

Here's a youtube link to Lamma Bada Yatathanna sung by Fayrouz (the only way I can get the timing right is to listen to the tune biggrin.gif )

Now that's really quite odd, not something I would attempt at the moment, but here's the ABC for anybody who needs the midi.

X:1

T:Lamma Bada Yatathanna

M:10/8

L:1/16

Q:1/8=140

Z:Peter Dunk Sept. 2011

K:Bb

D2 | G4 AB cBBA AGG^F G4 D2 | G4 AB cBBA AGG^F G4 AB|

c4 d2 B2>A2 AGG^F G4 A2 | ^F4 G2 E2>D2 EDEF D2 ed |

c4 d2 B2>A2 AGG^F G4 :| D2 | G4 AB cBBA AGG^F G4 D2|

G4 AB cBBA AGG^F G4 B2 | B4 B2 B4 cBAc B2 Bc |

d4 c2 dccB BAGB A4 F2 | G4 A2 B4 cBAc B4 AB |

c2 d2 B2>A2 AGG^F G4 A2 | ^F4 G2 E2>D2 EDEF D2 ed |

c4 d2 B2>A2 AGG^F G4 AB | c4 d2 B2>A2 AGG^F G4 |]

No problem, I just hope it's traditional and not under copyright!

:D

It's very old, a traditional tune from the time when the Moors ruled Spain so it should be alright biggrin.gif

Here's a translation of the verse smile.gif

When the gossamer nymph appears,

My beloved's beauty drives me to distraction;

Surrender

Surrender

When I am enraptured by a glimpse,

My beloved's beauty is a tender branch caught by the breeze;

Surrender

Surrender

Oh my destiny, my perplexity,

No one can comfort me in my misery,

In my lamenting and suffering for love,

But for the one in the beautiful mirage;

My beloved's beauty drives me to distraction,

Surrender

Surrender

Now that's really quite odd, not something I would attempt at the moment, but here's the ABC for anybody who needs the midi.

I have never quite got round to asking why abc is what gets offered here rather than a pdf of the music, and now I understand. It never occurred to me that you could get the machine to just play it.

Here I was able to look at the music and see what it was about then listen to the Youtube authentic, but I now understand why lots of people post the abc. Technology, eh?

Good thing to try on the squeezebox though; stretching!

I have never quite got round to asking why abc is what gets offered here rather than a pdf of the music, and now I understand. It never occurred to me that you could get the machine to just play it.

Here I was able to look at the music and see what it was about then listen to the Youtube authentic, but I now understand why lots of people post the abc. Technology, eh?

The abc is universal Dirge, always has been. Sad to say Youtube has nothing to do with it though! :rolleyes:

I now understand why lots of people post the abc. Technology, eh?

Conspiracy! B)

Seriously: There is another huge advantage: you can change and transpose ad libitum...

The abc is universal Dirge, always has been.

I liked lilypond very much, but cannot hope it will replace the "abc" format at some time or another... :(

(o.k., I know it is meant for making beautiful looking sheets more than sharing some music...)

lilypond[/url] very much, but cannot hope it will replace the "abc" format at some time or another... :(

(o.k., I know it is meant for making beautiful looking sheets more than sharing some music...)

I've really struggled with Lilypond, the concept is wonderful, properly typeset music, but sadly I can't seem to get to grips with it. What a shame!

I've relented.

For the simpletons like me here's Lea Rigges with variations for the common man/woman. In a thousand years or so I may just be able to play this at 40 BPM!

X:54

T:Lea Rigges

C:Variations by Tom Clough

Q:1/8=180

M:C|

L:1/8

K:A

c/>B/ |{A//} cEE>F A>BA>c | B>c d/c/B/A/ dFF c/>B/ | {A//} cEE>F A>B A/c/e/a/ | f/>e/ f/g/a/f/ e/d/ cAA :|

e | f/>e/f/>g/ a>c d/>c/d/>e/ f>A | B/A/B/c/ d/c/B/A/ dFF c/>B/ | {A//} cEE>F A>B A/c/e/a/ | f/>e/ f/g/a/f/ e/d/ cAA :|

L:1/16

e2 | (3cBA (3ecA (3fdB (3ecA (3cBA (3ecA (3fdB (3ecA | a>gfe dcBA d2 F2F2 e2 |

(3cBA (3ecA (3fdB (3ecA (3cBA (3ecA (3fdB (3ecA | a>gfe caBe c2A2A2 :|

c>d | e>fed c/d/e/c/ f/e/d/c/ e>fed c/d/e/c/ f/e/d/c/ | BABc dcBA d2F2F2 c>d |

e>fed c/d/e/c/ f/e/d/c/ e>fed c/d/e/c/ f/e/d/c/ | f>d fgaf ed c2A2A2 :|

c>B | A2 (3ecA E2 (3cAE C2 (3AEC A,2>c2 | Bdce dcBA d2F2F2 c>B | A2 (3ecA E2 (3cAE C2 (3AEC A,2 ag | fedc BFed c2 A2A2 :|

e2 | f2af e2dc d2bd c2BA | Bdce dcBA d2F2F2 c>B | A2 (3ecA E2 (3cAE C2 (3AEC A,2 ag | fedc BFed c2 A2A2 :|

a2 | aeec ceAe eccA AcEc | dede caca c2B2B2 (3efg |

aeec ceAe eccA AcEc | dede caca c2A2A2 :|

e2 | fecd aece fece aece | aAgA fAeA d2F2F2 e2 |

fe E/A/c/e/ aece fe E/A/c/e/ aece | agfe cAaA c2A2A2 :|

c>B | A2C2B,2A,2 A2C2B,2A,2 | B2>c2 dcBA Bdce dcBc | A2C2B,2A,2 A2C2B,2A,2 | fefg afed c2A2A2 :|

cB | (3AcB (3AGF (3EFE (3DCB, (3A,CE (3Ace (3agf (3edc | Bdce dcBA d2F2F2 cB |

(3AcB (3AGF (3EFE (3DCB, (3A,CE (3Ace (3agf (3edc | ABcd gfed c2A2A2 :|

cB | A2CD E2F2 E2AAA3 c | B2>c2 dcBA d2 F2FF cB | A2CD E2F2 E2AA a2a2 | f2ee F2ee c2A2A2 :|

e2 | f2>g2 a>ecA d2>e2 f2>A2 | (3Ace (3Ace (3GBe (3GBe d2F2F2 cB |

A2CD E2F2 E2AA C2 a/g/f/e/ | f/e/d/c/ d/c/B/A/ G/A/B/A/ G/F/E/D/ C2A,2A,2 :|

Here's a jolly jape. Sorry we aren't allowed an abc file this time just a PDF. A tricky piece this one, it was a proper devil in the original key of A, in C#/Db it's a right b*gger. Not a problem though as we have a proper musician to show us how it's done ... :P :P :P B)

Yeah yeah.

I'm not printing that off it'll use up all my ink.

The hornpipe obsession continues. This one is a cracker sent to me from a (fiddle) player in the USA. I'm always a bit wary when I see a tune that's not credited as 'trad'. If you recognise this as a composed work do let me know and I'll take it down. It's quite a tricky little piece on the English, worthy of Alistair Anderson or one of his cohorts ...

X:1

T:Savage Hornpipe, The

M:2/2

R:Hornpipe

K:Gmaj

(3DEF | G2 G2 GABc | dBdg dBGB | E2 E2 EFGE | D2 DE DB,G,B, |

CB,CD EGFA | GABc defg | dBGB cAFA | G2 G2 G2 :|

|:dc | BdGd BdGd | AdFd AdFd | GBEB GBEB | FB^DB FBDB |

CB,CD EGFA | GABc defg | dBGB cAFA | G2 G2 G2 :|

Pete. This tune appears in both the Laurence Leadly manuscript, as no 32 (untitled) in the original key of Bb major and in the John Clare manuscript, as the Savage Hornpipe, also in the key of Bb flat major, abc notation below, so I guess it must be traditional! Pete Cooper and Richard Bolton play a fine version of it on their CD, entitled The Savage Hornpipe.

Chris

X:110

T:Savage Hornpipe. JC.110

R:.Hornpipe

S:John Clare,Poet,Helpston. (1793-1864)

O:England

A:Northamptonshire

M:C|

Q:2/4=90

K:Bb

((3FGA)|\

B2B2Bcde|fdfb fdBd|G2G2GABG|FDFB FDB,D|!

EDEF GBAc|Bcde fga2|fdBd ecBA|B2B2B2:|!

|:fe|dfBf dfBf|cfAf cfAf|BdGd BdGd|AcFc AcFD|!

EDEF GBAc|Bcde fgab|fdBd ecBA|B2B2B2:|

A tricky piece this one, it was a proper devil in the original key of A, in C#/Db it's a right b*gger. Not a problem though as we have a proper musician to show us how it's done ... :P :P :P B)

But why?

Who is this "proper musician"?

What is their instrument?

And
why
did they transpose it into that key?

I'm sure that there are lots of tunes/pieces which could be made more difficult by transposing them into odd keys, but what's the point? It's not a way I'd normally want to spend my weekend.

P.S. I don't really think it's any more difficult than in the original key of A, except for the fact that "nobody" practices the key of Db. On the English, that key (5 flats) also has a simple, consistent pattern, but it's a different pattern from the "more common" keys (up to 3 flats or 4 sharps), and probably very few players are used to it.