Pirates Of The Caribbean

I've a soft spot in my heart for Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. Dad used to get up with me when I was just a sprout (1-3 years old) at 4a.m. before he would head of to the Air Force base in Stillwater, Oklahoma. We would listen to their early morning radio program and he would sing those songs to me has he danced with me in his arms. Nice memories.

Obi's Boys do a number of their songs with concertina...no horseback though or tryin' to play while eatin' dust behind a stagecoach :D .

There's a sample of me and another group doing New San Antonio Rose on the link below.

Edited by Mark Evans

...and speaking of Pirates....

I just received two CD's by the "Toucan Pirates."

We talked about these CDs previously.. Willie wasn't it you who told me it was a Crabb English a la Rob Witner? It is played much like an anglo, what clued me to English was some of the trickier keys such as A major that it might be an English.

I like the straightforward treatment of the tunes, and there is very little ornamentation. I recently listened to Jason O'Rourke, and realized just how straightforward the concertina playing is on "Pirates". In any event, I like it and the Cds helped my playing out. They are fun, and if you get bored, they make a great addition to a pirate themed kids B-day party, complete with cannons, sloshing water, and the voices of weather beaten pirates

Steve

I was half watching the tv at the weekend when an advert came on which featured a concertina. It was for phones 4 u. It featured a very odd stampede of people on a beach. I don't think they were running from the c player ! Now concertinas used in ads must be a much smaller field.

Also while we are on to great country singers...... it would have been happy (83rd i think) birthday to Hank Williams yesterday.

Spade Cooley ? ? ?

Er um Mr Chambers.. did you meet him in the lock-up ! ? : ) "cell" mates ????

What irks me in movies is the concertina players are usual pumping away with the air button depressed, in no particular rhythm, while a piano accordion is dubbed in....

Very sad, and the truth is still not known. Roy and Dale and the "secret" have gone to the grave.

He was always one of my favorites along with Tiny Moore on Mandolin

( took some lessons from him the year he died)

Jeff