Wheatstone Linota

Clinton Lofgren

Further to PeterT2s comment on the Rosewood ended option, I've had chance to play and inspect two 36 key Linota's from this period (1918 and 1920) just lately. both metal ended, both in original pitch. One is a black stained (rather than ebony) wood frame, the second rosewood. The black one is listed as a model number 61, the rosewood 55. Apart from the wood, the most obvious difference is one fold less in the bellows on the "55", which also has papers.

Both play beautifully, but the black one is better - nicer tone, though the raised metal ends may impact on this. Was rosewood the "beginner" level for Linota anglo's of this period?

Edited by Billcro

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats pretty good Peter. Horniman Ledgers say April 2nd 1914 for serial number 26375 ;)

Very interesting, Pete. The one which I had was number 26250 (16th January 1914), and, as I posted on another thread some months back, was very loud. The ends on this one were described as "white metal".

Regards,

Peter.

well all these linotas I have just obtained a 40 button linota anglo which andy norman restored for me

the s/n is 23703 which I think was about 1905 yes it sounds good its just getting used to the button layout.

ps any body know what JKPs crabb layout is he has said its wheatstone layout?

Both play beautifully, but the black one is better - nicer tone, though the raised metal ends may impact on this. Was rosewood the "beginner" level for Linota anglo's of this period?

I've just looked as Chris Algars Wheatstone c1910 pricelist:

http://www.concertina.com/pricelists/wheat...-Duet-c1910.pdf

The Ebony finish is rated as Class C (best quality) with a suitable price premium. This was probably still the case 20 years later.

Regards,

Peter.

any body know what JKPs crabb layout is he has said its wheatstone layout?

I also seem to recall John K. making this comment. As far as I am aware, he does not have any unusual variations to the layout, so it should be the same as a standard C/G Wheatstone. Just shows what can be done with better than average talent, and lots of practice.

Regards,

Peter.

any body know what JKPs crabb layout is he has said its wheatstone layout?

I can confirm this. I used to own a Dickinson/Wheatstone 40 button (Peter knows the box) that was standard Wheatstone layout. John played it in a workshop once and commented that it was the same layout as his Crabb. It sounded wonderful in his hands.

Chris

It sounded wonderful in his hands.

I thought that it sounded pretty good in mine, too. Still, we both know that it has gone to a good home, where it is loved, and played regularly.

Regards,

Peter.

First I want to thank Richard for posting these photos for me. I am getting ready to move out of my apartment so that I can be on my buildind site.I will be living there in a tent until I can move into my house.I will not have internet service any more on Friday only Phone service . I realize I asked to much for this Linota if anyone is interested in making a worthwhile offer you have until Friday to E-mail me with an offer or you can Phone me after 7:00 PM Alaska time at (907) 345-9540 or during the day Alaska time at (907) 244-5484.

This Concertina does have new pads, valves, and bushings and as far as I am concerned the reeds are un beatable. Again it will need new bellows sometime soon. Clinton Lofgren

• 7 months later...

I recently had this Linota fitted with a new set of reeds and tuned to concert pitch.I have been playing them in and it is really starting to sound good as good as the originals which I still have.I am glad I didn't sell it at the time.The fact is I am starting to loose interest and would probably take a look at ant seriuos offer

I recently had this Linota fitted with a new set of reeds and tuned to concert pitch.I have been playing them in and it is really starting to sound good as good as the originals which I still have.I am glad I didn't sell it at the time.The fact is I am starting to loose interest and would probably take a look at ant seriuos offer

Clint

I'm looking for a good instrument, but it's probably more than I'd want to spend, even with some flexibility on your part. Still, who made the new reeds? And hopefully the home building process ended happily.

mark

I have gotten some unlikely encouragement not to sell the Linota. Sometimes it seems to me that my playing hasn't gone in the direction that I had wanted to go and because of that I lost interest in playing to a certain degree. I was thinking this concertina belonged in the hand of someone who could make better use of it than I could and that a lesser instrument would serve me just as well.I have been told it is the best sounding concertina I have had and that I was playing just fine by people I thought could care less.

I sent it out today to C&R Dipper to have the bellows repaired,new springs,and some valve work done on it.

Also I would like to make a comment about Paul Groff. He did an excellant job on the Linota to get it to sound as good as it does.I have alot of respect for him and his contribution to concertinas. He deserve better than he gets.