Reeds Come Unstuck On Rochelle Anglo (After Fall)

Hi

My Rochelle took a tumble and 4 reeds have come unstuck and fallen out of their berths.

What kind of glue should I be using for putting them back in?

It seems that originally (brown) animal glue was used.

Can i dare think of using a standard synthetic wood glue like vinavil ?

It's a question of sticking metal to wood.

thanks if anyone can help

all the best

Dominic R. Umbria, Italy

Dominic,

I do not have a Rochelle, but most of the concertinas like it use accordion reeds that are either held in place by screws or waxed into place. You don't want to glue them in because they may have to be removed for retuning. You should contact the maker, Concertina Connection for their advice. Good luck, Ross Schlabach.

Hi

My Rochelle took a tumble and 4 reeds have come unstuck and fallen out of their berths.

What kind of glue should I be using for putting them back in?

Rochelle reeds are held in with a wax, based on bees wax. You may be able to reposition the reeds and carefully heat the wax with something like a soldering iron to re-melt it. It is very sticky when molten.

Alternatively you could get some more wax (CGM Musical in the UK can supply) and he has a video on Youtube showing an easy way of waxing reeds. I have done this on a Rochelle to fix a leak. It can be fiddly and you would ideally cover the reeds and valves while you're doing it (against spills), but it isn't hard.

You should use the right wax. The wax you have will be OK to re-use (old wax isn't) but if you can't simply re-flow it you will need more. It isn't expensive.

Edited by malcolmbebb