Congo Alan Day Version

darticus

Anyone here play this? I am having trouble with the left hand. How does he want us to play it? I know he says button 1 and 2 of the left hand alternating with the 5 button for chords and bass. Is this all he plays through the full song? Thanks all Ron

Hallo Ron

Got your message from about three places.

I failed to mention that on the pull on this tune and others of a similar nature that you carry on with the same buttons that you are using on the push as on the pull 1 & 3 keeping the same rythym. The version you have listened to on UTube I am using additional pull notes (Not usually found on a twenty button instrument) to create depth of sound.Something you can investigate later on in your playing career.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Al

Hallo Ron

Got your message from about three places.

I failed to mention that on the pull on this tune and others of a similar nature that you carry on with the same buttons that you are using on the push as on the pull 1 & 3 keeping the same rythym. The version you have listened to on UTube I am using additional pull notes (Not usually found on a twenty button instrument) to create depth of sound.Something you can investigate later on in your playing career.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Al

Thanks for getting back.

I got the directions from http://www.etanbenami.com/Anglo%20Concertina%20Tutor/

And I think it says to use buttons 1 and 2 with alternating number 1 C bass button on the left hand. If 1 and 3 is correct I'll use that instead. Thanks very much for you help. I'm a beginner and learned the right hand but left was confusing. Retired I have time to practice. Thanks Ron

The buttons to use are 1&3 and then 5 1 & 3 initially on the push.

See if it all fits

Al

Thanks 1 and 3 alternate 5. Sounds like first note one beat chord and 2nd note one beat bass note. repeat. One beat each. Will try Thanks Ron

Edited by darticus

Ron- How many buttons has your concertina got?

The above information and the tune was supplied for a twenty button instrument ,but the main reason for the recordings is to coordinate your lefy hand with your right. Keep asking questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Al

I am using a 20 button Anglo. I know it sounds stupid but I'm trying to figure out how to play the left hand. Looking at the music Congo starts with 4 notes. The music I have is only the right hand. I think you wanted 1 and 3 on the first note than 5 bass on the second note. I think you want this to continue in this order. Does it only use 1 and 3 and 5 bass notes throughout the whole song. Is there a way to see the left hand played in any videos you have made? I'm a new player but retired and have played music most of my life. Its a catchy song with a lot of good beginner finger work. You can send a message if you don't want to do it here. Thanks Again Ron

Here is a new recording of the tune.

The tune is all played on the right hand the notes for the accompaniment is, first time through just three and one played either on the push or pull.The second time round is five with one and three push or pull.

Al

STE-056.mp3

Edited by Alan Day

Here is a new recording of the tune.

The tune is all played on the right hand the notes for the accompaniment is, first time through just three and one played either on the push or pull.The second time round is six with one and three push or pull.

Al

OK its 6 with one and three push or pull second time around. Thought it was 5 with 1 and 3. Thanks Ron

Sorry Ron it has been a hot hard day .You only have five buttons ,so it is Five with one and three(Second time through.

.I will change my details above to rectify the error.

1000 lines.

Al

Will give it a try. That seems very easy. You play it in a different way in your video. Also this person plays it differently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTTZYsXTXq0 Second song 1.5 inch in. Thought maybe a variation of 1 and 3 with bass and 1 and 2 with bass was a possible. Thanks Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Very Good and on my way.

Is there some info you can share on the left hand for Oscar wood's' Jig? This may be a little harder but I have the right hand done and ready for bass suggestions. Thanks again Ron

You could try a full G chord 5,123 on 7th beat and hold to eighth.

Straightforward base 5 on the beat with on all push notes with 1&3 on off beat as before for the first six.

Heavy pull notes try 1&2 right hand with 5 Left Hand.

Once you get your left hand bouncing away whilst playing the tune on the right ,other tune accompaniments will start to get easier.

Well done if you are making progress.

Al

Straightforward base 5 on the beat with on all push notes with 1&3 on off beat as before for the first six.

Once you get your left hand bouncing away whilst playing the tune on the right ,other tune accompaniments will start to get easier.

Al

What does the number 1 and 2 mean on top of measures 4 and 5?

Al

Thanks very much very helpful. Ron

Al

figured it out i think:

When you play through the first time go to the repeat sign then repeat to the beginning. Then when you play through the second time skip the bar marked 1. and go directly to the second part.

Al

figured it out i think:

When you play through the first time go to the repeat sign then repeat to the beginning. Then when you play through the second time skip the bar marked 1. and go directly to the second part.

What are you looking at to see numbers? Is there music somewhere? Thanks Ron