Photographs And Avatars

At one point I had, for some reason, two memberships on Cnet, and at my request these were helpfully merged. However, with the merger I lost both my avatar (tastefully designed by Lady de Temps aka Sarah Taplin) and my photograph. I have tried numerous times to reinstitute both, but with no luck. Every time I have tried putting a photograph up I have received the message that it is too big, and no matter how much I have cropped and fiddled with the thing I do not seem to be able to get it to the requisite size to enter anything up.

Additionally, although the help feature gives instructions on how to put an avatar up, I have not been able to find anything that equates to them on the set up now in existence. Are these outdated instructions ... or am I just being a dimwit (quite possible) ? I really would like to get my avatar back up there again. :(

Paul knows the software better than I do, and he may well chime in if he stops by this thread (there are so many posts now neither of us gets them all read). But if waiting and trying some more doesn't work let me know and I can try looking behind the curtain and see if I can post it/them for you (possibly I can, but I'd have to figure it out too - I took a quick look and I don't see a way yet).

Ken

Thanks Ken. Have been trying to find out how to resize photos in Windows. The size allowed seems to be a lot smaller than might be expected these days with digital photography and higher resolution pictures now possible. I'll keep trying .

Thanks Ken. Have been trying to find out how to resize photos in Windows. The size allowed seems to be a lot smaller than might be expected these days with digital photography and higher resolution pictures now possible. I'll keep trying .

At one point I had, for some reason, two memberships on Cnet, and at my request these were helpfully merged. However, with the merger I lost both my avatar (tastefully designed by Lady de Temps aka Sarah Taplin) and my photograph. I have tried numerous times to reinstitute both, but with no luck. Every time I have tried putting a photograph up I have received the message that it is too big, and no matter how much I have cropped and fiddled with the thing I do not seem to be able to get it to the requisite size to enter anything up.

Additionally, although the help feature gives instructions on how to put an avatar up, I have not been able to find anything that equates to them on the set up now in existence. Are these outdated instructions ... or am I just being a dimwit (quite possible) ? I really would like to get my avatar back up there again. :(

• If anybody knows I'm wrong, please correct me, but: I seem to recall a thread a while ago about a similar or related concern, and I believe it was determined that one of the updates/changes to Invision's forum software merged the photograph and the avatar, so that one could not have separate images for the two. I believe the default was that the "photograph" became the image that was used for the avatar.
  • For making images smaller, I use the free VSO Image Resizer. If you don't want to be bothered with downloading and learning to use that tool, then feel free to PM me, and I'll arrange for you to email me your image, which I can then return to you in one or several smaller sizes.
  • I understand that if you store your images with any of several cloud services, they have resizing tools that are even easier to use, but I've never done that, because I don't want my personal stuff dependent on someone else's server computer. (Also, the number of photos I have is way above their "free" amount. :o)

What is the purpose of Avatars. ?

IMO

1. making a posting of yours easily (= on first sight) assignable

2. giving you the chance to provide an impression of who you are or would like to be, or what you're doing or liking

Well, coincidentally, I just changed my pic today. I have a Chromebook and I used picmonkey.com, the freebie services there.

That may be enough in itself, though I do use my compression settings at PBase.com. So, after picmonkey, I re-upload my pic to PBase where it will be automatically recompressed, for smaller file size (but still a large pic). THEN -- I download the large size version of that again, blah blah blah, get a file with much less size to it.

Sorry if that's all confusing.

So, I dumped my blue moon pic and now I have a 'selfie' in place. I'd actually decided to not use the new pic but I'd already lost the other one, so -- whatever.

Now, to go to all the millions of things I've got to do besides posing in front of mirrors under cake pans with bunny ears...

So, I dumped my blue moon pic and now I have a 'selfie' in place. I'd actually decided to not use the new pic but I'd already lost the other one, so -- whatever.

Well, at least it's a hexagonal selfie (resp. would be without the clipping) Wendy...! B)

Well, at least it's a hexagonal selfie (resp. would be without the clipping) Wendy...! B)

The hexagon shape was another free feature in the picmonkey.com editor, in the section for adding frames, under 'shapes' or something like that.