Why is my Zoom suddenly producing huge MP3 files?

Dirge

A 128kbs setting should render an MP3 at approx 1Mb per minute. 32kbs sounds awfully low!

As Randall said, reinstalling Audacity may well have changed default settings. Sampling at 32 bit is fine, 16 bit 44.1kHz output is standard for commercial CDs as far as I am aware but much bigger than you want. CD tracks (stereo) are 10Mb per minute!

Hallo Dirge,

to add my contribution:

The file size is determined by the settings the last time you export it. In your case that seems to be exporting from Audicity.

The most important settings are the sample rate (to compare with the resolution in picture = how many pixels) and the bit rate what determines how much compression is used while making the file.

The settings in Audicity are to be found in the menu under preferences. In the pop-up menu there are several tabs, but "Quality" and "File Formats" are the ones you need.

They look like this:

post-1580-0-25718700-1326150765_thumb.jpg

Here the default sample rate is in my case 44100 Hz (or 44.1kHz). For your Debussy piece this was set to the lowest possible value: 11025Hz

post-1580-0-14571500-1326150766_thumb.jpg

Here under MP3 Export setup the bit rate is in my case set to 128 (kbps). For your Debussy piece this was set to 32.

So I'd suggest you set these values as they were for your Debussy piece (sample rate 11025Hz, bit rate 32) and see if this gives the required result.

Hope this visualisation clarifies.

1) I'm quite sure that CD quality is 22.1 not 44.1 as Pete suggests.

Never write tech info late at night. Pete is correct about 44.1 :(

But here it's still early evening and i think I now know how to take a reasonable recording and yet prepare it easily Cnet purposes, so that's good.

Bound to have forgotten how by the time I want it again of course...

Oh yes; always like sites like that.

Hey if you're really at a loose end find me a 'piano reduction' of the Schostacovich (whatever...) Romeo and Juliette theme.

I'll keep any eye out from my balcony, failing that I'll ask Maxim (Shostakovich - his lot use a Ш -sh not a Щ with a wiggley tail =shch - don't want the orcs copying your dorgy literary habits!)

I'll keep any eye out from my balcony, failing that I'll ask Maxim (Shostakovich - his lot use a Ш -sh not a Щ with a wiggley tail =shch - don't want the orcs copying your dorgy literary habits!)

sorry.

sorry.

That'll be another three tunes for detention practice by OO Orc hundred hours :)

actually had a squint around and the so far prob with old Shosters and the son is that their stuff probably still within copyright (and online sell bandwagon), even on the Russky websites.

BTW Скачать бесплатно Ноты:PDF

means download, no charge, notes in pdf or in Inglis: downlead free score: PDF format

This one** is looking hopeful and after going through trying to think out tips for you to pick out the Cyrillic I just realised it also has some with the English in background blue.....!

No shosters but Gounod, Prokof, Tchaikovsy for Romeo.

But there are lots of other pieces too.I cantr see a site like this being risk and no warning came up with firefox or taco cookie remover.

http://www.scorser.com/search.aspx?q=%D0%A4%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BF%D0%B8%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BE%20%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B5%D0%BE%20%D0%B8%20%D0%B4%D0%B6%D1%83%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%B5%D1%82%D1%82%D0%B0&l=ru&ft=-1&c=1&pn=1'>http://www.scorser.com/search.aspx?q=%D0%A4%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BF%D0%B8%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BE%20%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B5%D0%BE%20%D0%B8%20%D0%B4%D0%B6%D1%83%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%B5%D1%82%D1%82%D0%B0&l=ru&ft=-1&c=1&pn=1

Google translate is pretty good for tech stuff like this so you can have site open and cut and paste into auto Russian to see what u might be looking for. Or type rachmaninov into phonetic Russian keyboard (rakmaninov) and use resulting Cyrillic to go hunting. really easy peasy

The pdf R and J by Tchaik (either attached or by email) looks like the reduced juice type of thing you want or should it be even more reduced?

on that same scorser site left hand column is this which takes you to other Полезные сайты -useful sites. No harm in yr looking.

You might build up a collection of reduced score which other aspirants to higher themes and chords can tap later.

Art of piano

Фортепиано в России

Easybyte

Quatre mains

It has a list of R&Jul other instruments for playing along with piano tho I must go and look up the meaning of the one beginning with f/ph.... aahh - bassoon,well I never!

Фортепиано ромео и джульетта

+

Кларнет Скрипка Валторна Фагот Тромбон Флейта Контрабас Арфа Бас Труба Хор Увертюра Чайковский, Петр Ильич

And finally, the joke's on me - I find the home site is in English and I had come in round the side straight into the Russian version of the site........\ B) :unsure: :blink:

http://www.scorser.com

sorry.

That'll be another three tunes for detention practice by OO Orc hundred hours :)

actually had a squint around and the so far prob with old Shosters and the son is that their stuff probably still within copyright (and online sell bandwagon), even on the Russky websites.

means download, no charge, notes in pdf or in Inglis: downlead free score: PDF format

This one** is looking hopeful and after going through trying to think out tips for you to pick out the Cyrillic I just realised it also has some with the English in background blue.....!

But there are lots of other pieces too.I cantr see a site like this being risk and no warning came up with firefox or taco cookie remover.

http://www.scorser.com/search.aspx?q=%D0%A4%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BF%D0%B8%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BE%20%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B5%D0%BE%20%D0%B8%20%D0%B4%D0%B6%D1%83%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%B5%D1%82%D1%82%D0%B0&l=ru&ft=-1&c=1&pn=1'>http://www.scorser.com/search.aspx?q=%D0%A4%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BF%D0%B8%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BE%20%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B5%D0%BE%20%D0%B8%20%D0%B4%D0%B6%D1%83%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%B5%D1%82%D1%82%D0%B0&l=ru&ft=-1&c=1&pn=1

Google translate is pretty good for tech stuff like this so you can have site open and cut and paste into auto Russian to see what u might be looking for. Or type rachmaninov into phonetic Russian keyboard (rakmaninov) and use resulting Cyrillic to go hunting. really easy peasy

The pdf R and J by Tchaik (either attached or by email) looks like the reduced juice type of thing you want or should it be even more reduced?

on that same scorser site left hand column is this which takes you to other Полезные сайты -useful sites. No harm in yr looking.

You might build up a collection of reduced score which other aspirants to higher themes and chords can tap later.

Art of piano

Фортепиано в России

Easybyte

Quatre mains

It has a list of R&Jul other instruments for playing along with piano tho I must go and look up the meaning of the one beginning with f/ph.... aahh - bassoon,well I never!

+

Кларнет Скрипка Валторна Фагот Тромбон Флейта Контрабас Арфа Бас Труба Хор Увертюра Чайковский, Петр Ильич

And finally, the joke's on me - I find the home site is in English and I had come in round the side straight into the Russian version of the site........\ B) :unsure: :blink:

Erm sorry I meant Prokoviev.... all these Russians look the same.

There's a piano score on Petrucci which would be what I'm after but it's blocked; not sure why but it's still on copyright in America although I am not...

Editted to add I do know why; the edition was actually printed in 1956.

Editted again to add 'Found it!' We'll see if it's remotely playable.

Edited by Dirge

sorry.

Art of piano

Фортепиано в России

Easybyte

Quatre mains

+

Erm sorry I meant Prokoviev.... all these Russians look the same.

There's a piano score on Petrucci which would be what I'm after but it's blocked; not sure why but it's still on copyright in America although I am not...

Editted to add I do know why; the edition was actually printed in 1956.

Editted again to add 'Found it!' We'll see if it's remotely playable.

If I'd known it was Profekkiev I would have searched the Irish sites. :rolleyes: ......just watching the last edition of Heartbeat on the recorder and then off to bed.