Marcus Music Instruments

After a lot of reading stuff on these forums, and looking at a lot of hybrid

instruments on the internet, I'm strangely attracted to the Marcus Music

30-button Hybrid Anglo for my second instrument.

Does anyone have any experience with Marcus instruments - they look

good on the website, and the Marcus staff have answered a lot of questions

from me about the instruments.

I am considering a G/D 30-button instrument. Any reason why not (I have

a restored 20-button C/G Lachenal at the moment)?

Thank you.

Roger Hare

Edited by lachenal74693

I've got one. It's my pride and joy.

I don't have any other equivalent instruments

that I could compare it to, but one local player has

taken it for a spin was very complementary. He plays

a restored Lachenal as his main squeeze.

The folks at Marcus have been just super about helping me too.

As for tuning the g/d system makes great sense, especially

if you don't play Irish. It's just the ticket for English folk

music, local sessions abound. Also,you could have lots of fun playing in a Morris side.

Though if you were to do that a cheap melodeon that you could

beat up might be more appropriate. Better volume too.

Edited by maki

I've never owned a Marcus though I do have a couple of other hybrids and from handling them on their stand at festivals and playing other people's I'm pretty sure they are of an equivalent quality to their peers. They are, also, very nice people. I would have no qualms about buying one of their boxes if you've tried one and like it.

As for G/D I play that all the time. I find C/G frankly rather squeaky for my taste (though C/G baritone is wonderful for song accompaniment). G/D certainly suits English music well, makes a decent fist of French music and I suspect would make a better job of Irish music than current orthodoxy admits.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

After a lot of reading stuff on these forums, and looking at a lot of hybrid

instruments on the internet, I'm strangely attracted to the Marcus Music

30-button Hybrid Anglo for my second instrument.

Does anyone have any experience with Marcus instruments - they look

good on the website, and the Marcus staff have answered a lot of questions

from me about the instruments.

I am considering a G/D 30-button instrument. Any reason why not (I have

a restored 20-button C/G Lachenal at the moment)?

Thank you.

Roger Hare

Marcus instruments are similar to the other quality hybrids- Morses, Edgleys, etc. There are differences, but they are minor, and mostly matters of individual preference.

Note, however, that G/D hybrids, in my experience, all sound more accordion-like than their C/G counterparts, the best of which sound closer to traditionally reeded instruments. For many people this is not a problem, but it's something to consider.

Marcus is a really good bloke. I got my first decent EC from him around 30 years ago and am still playing it. I've bought and sold a number of instruments from/to him over the years and he's always been very straight to deal with. He did some work on a harmonium and a couple of concertinas for me just last year.

I've tried his hybrid anglos and found them lovely to play. When I was looking for a hybrid some years ago, I, like Stuart, found the Andrew Norman instrument pleased me slightly more - maybe a bit brighter? Don't know if that is still true. The difference was not that great and more to do with personal taste than quality. I was probably comparing a wooden-ended Marcus with a metal-ended Norman!

I'd certainly recommend a Marcus concertina.

The only Marcus concertina I wasn't impressed by was a bass English he once made which, by his own admission, didn't quite work out. I wish he'd get the design sorted and make another one.

Edited by chas

Marcus built me a G/D special (625) in 2011, I've had to tune one reed since. I asked for a light low action, which is what I got, specified the drones (I wanted a non-standard set-up) and have thoroughly enjoyed playing it ever since. I visited their workshop when on holiday and tried out several models before making a decision, but I have also tried out other hybrids as well, and to my ear the Marcus was less shrill and suited my style of playing best. I found them very helpful, prompt and good to deal with. The guarantee I got with my instrument was for as long as I keep it, worth thinking about.

I have four Lachenal Anglos (3 x C/G and Bb/F) and a Wheatstone EC as well. The Marcus I generally play outdoors for Morris or in a small concertina orchestra and practice indoors on a brass reeded Lachenal 24 button so as to not annoy the wife.

My only complaint was the corners of the steel ends pressed rather too hard into my palms, so I glued some thin HD foam on the corners and this has solved the issue for me. Good quality, good sound, easy to play, and thus recommended.

As for G/D I play that all the time. I find C/G frankly rather squeaky for my taste (though C/G baritone is wonderful for song accompaniment). G/D certainly suits English music well, makes a decent fist of French music and I suspect would make a better job of Irish music than current orthodoxy admits.

Tim Edey is well-known for bucking the orthodoxy and playing Irish on a D/G melodeon; I'd be curious to see if anyone has tried crossing-over some of his concepts onto the concertina:

http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/4428

After thinking very hard the only thing I really don't like about Marcus concertinas is that their Jeffries style bellows papers have a sort of golden glow that you can recognise right down the street. I consider that if all I can find to moan about is the bellows papers then they're doing alright!

Chris

I thought I'd give it a week before posting a response...

Thank you all very much for all those helpful replies. I've rarely, if ever, seen

such a positive response to a question I've asked on any internet forum!

Looks like I might seriously be pursuing a Marcus - but someone did mention

Andrew Norman instruments, so now I'm looking at those as well. Life's never

easy is it...

Thanks for the link to the pictures of a disassembled instrument - very useful!

I've also been offered a second-hand instrument, in the key combination I'm

looking for. Thinks, "Now, if I bought the second-hand machine, I could probably

afford a...". No, no that way lies madness...

Once again, thank you all.

Roger

Well I've now had mine for about 2 weeks (a 2nd hand deluxe model I bought on ebay), so I feel happy making a few comments.

My last box was a mahogany ended Jones, and while it was a fine instrument the Marcus is so much smoother and quicker to play. The reeds are very responsive, and the action is wonderfully low and easy. You can play quietly or very loud.

I haven't much experience with high end anglos, but it feels to me that the Marcus plays far more nicely than any of the vintage models I've tried in Hobgoblin and some of them were priced at well over £2000.

I would describe the accordion reeds as a little less pure in tone than traditional concertina reeds but also warmer and less harsh. They are in no way inferior though, and the difference is hard to notice if you're not listening out for it- or when playing with other instruments.

I really love this concertina, and would totally recommend them. I doubt I will ever be able to afford a traditional concertina that matches the quality of this hybrid!