Music In Denmark In The Next Fortnight(Ish)?

Gently bobbing about in the North Sea, on the way to Linfjord (sp?),

I'm moved too ask if there are any coastal locations in Denmark where

we might find a session during the next fortnight? We have two 'tinas

and a whistle on board.

Ta.

Roger.

Gently bobbing about in the North Sea, on the way to Linfjord (sp?),

I'm moved too ask if there are any coastal locations in Denmark where

we might find a session during the next fortnight? We have two 'tinas

and a whistle on board.

Limfjorden (The Limfjord), an inlet on the west coast of Jutland?

Quite some distance from me (6-7 hours by train), but I'll see what I can find out. My guess is that your best bet would be in Esbjerg, but that's about 120 km to the south along the coast.

Limfjorden (The Limfjord), an inlet on the west coast of Jutland?

Quite some distance from me (6-7 hours by train), but I'll see what I can find out. My guess is that

your best bet would be in Esbjerg, but that's about 120 km to the south along the coast.

Correct - we are now in Logstar, well past Esbjerg, heading for Copenhagen...

What a wonderful place - the Danes appear (very sensibly) to have kept pretty

damn quiet about the Limfjord.- I'll be back.

Thanks.

Roger

Hi Roger,

...we are now in Logstar, well past Esbjerg, heading for Copenhagen...

Logstor (or Løgstør; both spellings seem acceptable), eh? So you're cutting through the "inland" route and avoiding the Skagerrak, Kattegat, and Skagen. I've just tried to find out whether anything is happening in Aalborg, but

• you're probably past there by now, and
  • I didn't have any luck. In fact, lots of sessions and such in Scandinavia close down during the summer, something which I've never understood, since not everyone takes their holidays/vacations at the same time.

Meanwhile, though, I'm curious about your plans, including and especially the timing. Right after I post this I'll send you a PM to discuss details, because if you're heading for Copenhagen,

• you'll be sailing through the channel that divides Helsingør (Elsinore, where I live) from Helsingborg (Sweden), where there might be a session this coming Thursday. (I've sent an email to ask if it will happen.)
  • That same evening there may also be a session in Roskilde, which is also home to the excellent Viking Ship Museum and boatbuilding yard. (Again, I'm awaiting a reply.)
  • I'm trying to track down a session or two in Copenhagen.
  • You'll be missing a great folk festival this coming weekend in Skagen.
  • But I'll be missing it, too, since I'm heading up to Halmstad (on Sweden's west coast), where the ships are gathering for the start of this year's Tall Ships Race. (That's about 1½ hours from here by ferry and train.)
  • And whether or not other things pan out, we could still meet and improvise a session somewhere.

'Twould be great to meet you.

Jim

Hi Roger,

Logstor (or Løgstør; both spellings seem acceptable), eh? So you're cutting through the "inland" route and avoiding the Skagerrak, Kattegat, and Skagen. I've just tried to find out whether anything is happening in Aalborg, but

• you're probably past there by now, and...

'Twould be great to meet you.

Jim

Jim, thank you for all that. I've replied in a little more detail to your PM, but briefly:

If only we were 'past there'!

We are stuck in a howling gale in Aalborg and will not be able to leave till Tuesday am at the earliest.

This has affected our plans - we are two days 'late', and will now finish in Helsingor, probably late

on Friday, and because of this delay, we are unlikely to make any sessions - there are two of us,

but 'tina players are in a minority on the boat and there are other priorities...

I have to leave early on Saturday to catch my flight to Manchester, so I won''t be able to visit the

Viking Ship Museum, Roskilde, The Burmeister & Wain and EAC museums. Pity. Next time

maybe.

Thank you very much for your help -much appreciated, even if I'm unable to take advantage of all

your efforts.

Roger

I’m following all this on the map, and it’s fascinating. We were in Denmark a few years ago, visited Jim, the Viking Ship Museum, etc.

• But I'll be missing it, too, since I'm heading up to Halmstad (on Sweden's west coast), where the ships are gathering for the start of this year's Tall Ships Race. (That's about 1½ hours from here by ferry and train.)

That can’t be the same Tall Ships that were in Boston last weekend? Could it?

...I'm heading up to Halmstad (on Sweden's west coast), where the ships are gathering for the start of this year's Tall Ships Race.

That can’t be the same Tall Ships that were in Boston last weekend? Could it?

Nope. Two quite separate "regattas".

I just checked the lists of vessels, and none are in both lists.* No surprise, actually, considering how long it would take any sailboat to cross the Atlantic. Besides, the "European" race I'm visiting runs from June 30 to August 8, while the one that visited Boston began April 13 and ends September 3 (crossing the Atlantic twice), so their calendars overlap. For more information on both, you can drill down on this web page, as well as searching the web for local reports from the various ships and the ports they visit.

* Portugal's Santa Maria Manuela took part in the first leg -- UK to Portugal -- of the longer race, but she didn't continue across the Atlantic. She's also scheduled to take part in the full, shorter race that starts in Halmstad. She's the only vessel appearing in the lists for both races, but she wasn't in Boston, so not in that list.

...we are two days 'late', and will now finish in Helsingor, probably late on Friday....

Since I live in Helsingør, we should at least meet while you're here, however briefly. My Halmstad plans can make room for that.

I've replied at greater length by email.

Hope to see you.

Jim