Does the duet have a great future... discuss?

I completely missed this thread back in January. I only discovered it because of Irene's post today. .......................................

• There need to be performances and recordings to excite others into wanting to do something similar, even to extend the limits.
  • There need to be accessible sources of instruments for both beginners and those who have reached the stage of being selective in what they want.
  • There need to be teachers, but also teaching materials for those without access to flesh-and-blood teachers..............................................................................

Will we do it? Will we succeed? Only time will tell, but we
have
made a start.

Has anyone tried to make a list of the currently available resources for each kind of duet? Someone should.

If nothing else, glad to have brought the thread to your attention Jim ! :)

Aye to your final comments, and therein lies the rub!

Recordings ... well of course Duet International is waiting in the wings ... wonder if Al can provide any further information on that one?

And Ralphie's solo CD "Eloise" has been let loose upon the unsuspecting world, as detailed in the separate thread at http://www.concertin...opic=11629&st=0 It's already received several airings on Genevieve Tudor's BBC regional programme, and good reviews.

Teachers and teaching resources ... yes, please. As someone who is still coming to grips with the obsession, and the instrument (more slowly than I'd like in the last year, thanks to other life matters getting in the way, a real live proper teacher would be great. But since the pool of actual players of the Maccann in the UK is not exactly a large one, and we're all fairly widely spread out ... there's not really anywhere to start. Two good players that I have spoken to, no names or pack drill, have both suggested that they wouldn't know where to start with real structured tuition (as per piano or violin lessons). They both learned to play their instrument without formal tuition, and their styles are quite different ... tips can be provided but not structured lessons.... sigh .... and the tutor books from the turn of the twentieth century are OK as far as they go, but rather dated, dry and formal.

When you suggest a need for list of resources for each type of duet, what type of resources did you have in mind?

Going back to writing that article now....

Edited by Irene S