Dating A Lachenal From The Serial Number

johnconstable

• 1 year later...

Saguaro,

I estimate the year of manufacture of your Maccann No. 2046 as circa 1910. I do not have any receipts or other info for Maccan duets  in this serial number range, but here is the logic of my estimate: 

Maccann duets had the early duet numbering sequence. (starting in 1884).

When Crane duets appeared, they originally had a separate serial number series (starting in 1896).

However, when the Buttersworth patent owned by Crane expired, the joint Crane-Maccann series emerged, proceeding from the then current top of the Maccann series, which was  then at or around No. 2000. This occurred in 1910/1911 when the patent  had expired. At that time, the old separate Crane series was around 1200.

CORRECTION. STOP THE PRESS!

I am embarrassed to say that the above message is fairly logical but totally wrong. I have found an original sales record for Maccann No. 1819 dated February 8, 1898, with a label of "Maccann Concertina Academy, Liverpool, Lachenal & Co Instrument. " Thus, my new estimate for No. 2046 is circa 1900.

Edited by Dowright
CORRECTION

On 2/6/2019 at 7:17 AM, Dowright said:

When Crane duets appeared, they originally had a separate serial number series (starting in 1896).

However, when the Buttersworth patent owned by Crane expired, the joint Crane-Maccann series emerged, proceeding from the then current top of the Maccann series, which was  then at or around No. 2000. This occurred in 1910/1911 when the patent  had expired. At that time, the old separate Crane series was around 1200.

Thank you dowright.  I also have a Lachenal Crane S/N 3008.  Where would you estimate that falling?

Also, did you receive my PM on the topic of miniatures?

saguaro,

Ironically, The mistaken estimate that I originally had for your Maccann No 2046 is close to the estimated date--hopefully correct--that I have for your Crane No. 3008. I do not have a sales receipt for a Crane with serial number close to your Crane number of 3008, but I used other information to arrive at estimate of circa 1911.  Weak supporting evidence is provided by a Crane Triumph with serial number 3032, which is the first Triumph in my data. The Salvation Army  formally adopted the  Crane/Triumph in 1912, which is when the Salvation Army's Triumph tutor was published.

Edited by Dowright

Rod;

Maccann No. 894 is not especially easy to date, but my best estimate is circa 1890-1891. Inside No. 729 was written "John Thomas, Concertina Soloist, March 4 1896". But I am certain that this entry was made several years after the manufacture. If he bought it in 1890-1891,  five years later would have been about the right time for a tune-up/repair at which time the inscription could be made while it was opened up.

I have been slow in sending you an email because, when I do, I want to attach some photos of the two 12-key Crabb English miniatures tht I have. COMING SOON !

I found what I believe to be a Lachenal serial number inside my C/G bass Anglo. The number is 49188. Is this a Lachenal serial and if so, any idea what approximate date this would correspond to.

Thanks,

Cohen

• 2 weeks later...

Cohen,

I am pretty sure that yours is a Lachenal, which would make it by far the earliest of the few Anglo bass in my records.  Of over 3.300 Anglos in my data, only 3 others than yours are bass Anglos--Nos. 80151 (20 key), 95348 (34 key), and 100086 (30 key). I estimate the year of manufacture for yours as circa 1878.  The next one--No. 80151--would date to circa 1884.

JFB (Joe),

I estimate circa 1907 for your 46-key Lachenal Maccann duet,

Don, 

Dating your Lachenal Excelsior No 26318 is not as easy as it might seem, given that I do not have any receipts for instruments with nearby serial rumbers. So I use the following indirect approach. Even though your Excelsior presumably does not have bowing valves, the following is useful  information: (1) Alsepti's bowing valve patent (No 8290) was granted on 8 July 1885, and (2) the first instrument with bowing valves in my data is No. 28320. If that one was built around the time that the patent was granted , then we can suppose that your No 26318 was made soon before or shortly after the 1885 date. But could it be that the No 28320 was built long after the patent went into effect? Not so, because I have receipts for No 29000 (1889)No 32620 (1894),  and No 32621  (1895)

So my estimate for yours in circa 1885.

Edited by Dowright

1 hour ago, Dowright said:

Dating your Lachenal Excelsior No 26318 is not as easy as it might seem, given that I do not have any receipts for instruments with nearby serial rumbers. So I use the following indirect approach. Even though your Excelsior presumably does not have bowing valves,

Dowright

Thanks very much. 

No, my Excelsior does not have bowing valves.  The only unusual thing about it is that it has glass buttons.

Don.

Edited by Don Taylor

Hi Dowright,

Sorry to pile on this thread, but can you tell me anything about Lachenal English #6915?  It has 48 glass buttons, brass reeds, rosewood ends with brass inlay, and gold stamping on the green bellows and thumb straps.  It was found in an attic in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada by the new owner of an old house, so no provenance came with it.  It's in its hexagonal rosewood box with a bone or ivory escutcheon.  post-6711-0-31635100-1323802501_thumb.jpgpost-6711-0-36586100-1323803151_thumb.jpgpost-6711-0-76374100-1323802514_thumb.jpg

Maybe our friend should be charging for his services! I'm tempted to rename this the "Dowright Does Right" thread. ? Certainly any of you folks should stand him a round if/when you meet in person.

Ken

• Like 1