Does Anyone Own A Holmwood Concertina

Dark_Templar

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father spoke to the Guy at Barleycorn, who also sells concertinas on Ebay under the name of Cocoa111. This was to do with a Wheatstone my father saw on Ebay. He phoned up to ask about it, as Barleycorn deal with second hand ones, and it turned out it was one that the guy @ B/C had restored, and was selling.

If you lot really think I should go for a second hand one, then I'll concider it, but what do I do, or can I do, if the thing turns our to be crap, or I don't like it.

When you're talking about Barleycorn youre father must have been talking to Chris Algar. I would advice to contact Chris, because he has a good reputation for restoring concertinas and he seems to have quite a lot of concertinas in store.

I am sure that Chris will give you an advice according to your wishes (price, type of concertina, etc.).

Edited by Henk van Aalten

Hey, some of you lot were lucky enough to be in your early 20's during the 60's.

For me, middle to late teens. Don't know about lucky, but I drank deeply from the cup and morn the brain cells burnt in the process:blink:! Took me until the middle 80's to cut my hair and I'm still torqued off I did :P !

60ies were catastrophic times. Nothing to praise or morn.

In the US it was the time of lower educational standards, marxism (pseudo), USSR was wrecking havoc in Europe, Vietnam war, Cultural Revolution in China, stupid Cuban "experiment", African fueds, Israel was almost annihilated and Russia and US almost nuked each other (and the rest of the world).

Nice times indeed.

You probably refer to Rock-n-roll?

Edited by m3838

If you lot really think I should go for a second hand one, then I'll concider it, but what do I do, or can I do, if the thing turns our to be crap, or I don't like it.
That depends upon who you buy it from. There are many reputable dealers who sell completely, professionally, restored concertinas - with warranty and returns policy. Some even send it to you on "perusal" for a week to let you try it to see if you'd like to buy it or not.

Buying concertinas from businesses who don't have a reputation, or from some private parties, can (not *will*) often be a hazardous experience.

• 3 weeks later...