Mother Of All Our Joys!

nicx66

While we're on both video/film stuff and Noel Hill this may be of interest :

Noel Hill – Aisling Ghéar

A World Premiere, presented by the Irish Film Institute & TradFest

A searing portrait of one of Ireland’s most renowned traditional musicians – concertina player Noel Hill, as he recovers from a brutal assault. At the turn of the century, Noel Hill decided to turn over a new leaf and move with his young family to the rural idyll of Connemara. In 2008, he was brutally assaulted by a builder with whom he had been in financial dispute. Noel required 10 hours of corrective surgery while the psychological damage robbed him of his ability to play. Paddy Hayes’ documentary follows Noel as he journeys from his formative musical years in West Clare, to his darkest hours following the assault and then through his recovery. Today he is playing as well as ever and the film is ultimately a reflection on the redemptive power of music. Funded by TG4 and the BAI.

see also http://tradfest.ie/event/noel-hill-aisling-ghear/

In a chilling bit of irony, Shane lost most of his remaining teeth in a disturbingly similar incident in a pub restroom in London, 2004. The Paddy Hayes documentary should be good. I hope we get a concertina duet from Paddy and Noel!

Himself being unable to string a coherent sentence together is one thing but D'Arcy talking to him like he was talking to a toddler or his wife talking about him like wasn't even there (you have to ask him open questions..). The indignity of it.

Sorry, cross post, responding to Terence's above.

I hope we get a concertina duet from Paddy and Noel!

Hill is listed for the concertina criunniu next month with TrIona ni Domhnail. Unexpected combination.

Edited by Peter Laban

Even just the photos of him in the wheelchair are unbearable. Sixty is quite young for many people these days, including Noel, but this gentleman makes Paddy Keenan and Jackie Daly look like a couple of scampering, rosy-cheeked altar boys. Heck, he makes Keith Richards look like a rosy-cheeked altar boy.

I actually wonder if the not being able to string sentences together has to do with the fact that he is apparently still indulging in god-knows-what and happens to be doing so at the moment of the interview. I read, as opposed to heard, an interview with him within the last couple of years where he seemed compos mentis and acerbic. Granted, the writer noted the wife was hovering and fussing over him, and I'm pretty sure it was noted he grabbed a bottle of something and took a good swig during the interview.

Well, I had high hopes for the line-up of various contributors at this birthday thing, will have to try to see some of it. I really want to see what Cormac did.

Edited by ceemonster

"There were six men in Birmingham, in Guilford there's four"... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX59GVe6CCo (beware of the drunk guy with a cell phone, talk about unbearable) Cormac's contribution; hopefully a better, complete video/audio will surface. My old band used to do this one. I believe the original (birmingham six) had that rare combination of whistle/harmonica that sounded beautiful.

Edited by nicx66