Tangling With The Tango On The Anglo

Roger Hare

I know nowt about the suitability of the tango for the Anglo, but I like the sound of the music...

Can any kind souls suggest a couple of simple tangos which might be suitable for the Anglo?

I've downloaded a couple 'at random' from http://abcnotation.com but they are turning out to be

real 'knuckle-breakers' (at least for me :( ).

Thank you folks.

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693

I know nowt about the suitability of the tango for the Anglo, but I like the sound of the music...

Can any kind souls suggest a couple of simple tangos which might be suitable for the Anglo?

I've downloaded a couple 'at random' from http://abcnotation.com but they are turning out to be

real 'knuckle-breakers' (at least for me :( ).

Thank you folks.

Roger

Tango Caliente works very nicely on a C/G Anglo: http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/Argentina/TangoCaliente/0003

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jim,

This is a nice tango and I'd like to try it on the hayden duet as well. Do you know who is the composer?

Didie

Sorry, I don't have a clue - and at one point I searched for information on the composer, to no avail.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, soloduetconcertina said:

I've just uploaded a video of Tango Caliente on the Hayden duet:

Please let me know if somebody have recorded this tune on the anglo or other systems. And thanks again for sharing the score!

This is a few years old.  English concertina, D/G melodeon and C/G Anglo baritone.

That's beautiful soloduetconcertina, I'm jealous that you have a wine cellar to play in!

On the Anglo is it just the melody people are playing or is it possible to fill it out a bit?

Edited by snoot
Extra text

> Snoot: thank you! the vapors of wine are good for the concertina but it's not yet proven that the sound of the concertina is good for the wine!

> Jim: Great to listen to this recording and it gives me some new ideas for the accompaniment. Do you have the sheet music for this arrangement?

3 hours ago, soloduetconcertina said:

> Snoot: thank you! the vapors of wine are good for the concertina but it's not yet proven that the sound of the concertina is good for the wine!

> Jim: Great to listen to this recording and it gives me some new ideas for the accompaniment. Do you have the sheet music for this arrangement?

Sorry, no formal arrangement - it pretty much changed every time we did it. I'm playing a baritone Anglo, mostly using it like one would use a sting bass.

On 8/18/2018 at 10:51 AM, soloduetconcertina said:

I've just uploaded a video of Tango Caliente on the Hayden duet:

Please let me know if somebody have recorded this tune on the anglo or other systems. And thanks again for sharing the score!

Outstanding performance!

Speaking of simple tango, I am practicing "La Cumparsita" on my C/G Anglo.
G-minor (two flats) is working well.
Just follow the melody and should sound good enough.

If you are interested in how bandoneons are played in Tango, a new book specializing in bandoneon in Tango has been published recently.
The book bilingual (English/Español) and would give you some insights about the technical aspects of bandoneon playing, I believe.
https://tangosinfin.wordpress.com/metodo-de-tango/el-bandoneon-en-el-tango/

Cheers

Gen

13 hours ago, Daniel Hersh said:

Yes it's definitely possible - I just tried it out. 

Is the general principle to play a note of the underlying chord on the significant beats? Would be interesting to hear this approach to Tango Caliente on an Anglo.

12 hours ago, snoot said:

Is the general principle to play a note of the underlying chord on the significant beats? Would be interesting to hear this approach to Tango Caliente on an Anglo.

I would suggest playing more than one note of the chord, such as the 1 and the 5 (A and E for an A chord, or E and B for an E chord, etc.). I think soloduetconcertina's approach  to chording/accompaniment sounds great, and the same basic idea can be used on Anglo.  For me, playing the melody cleanly on Anglo is harder than putting in the chords - I'm not used to using so many D#'s and A#'s in my playing.

I don't know what is convenient on the anglo but in this video I'm using 3 notes chords on the left hand. But 2 notes chords work well too and sometimes sound better on the concertina. So as Daniel said you can choose what is the most convenient and sound better between 1, 3, 5, or sometimes 7. And for the chords rythm here I'm playing 3/3/2: dotted quarter note/dotted quarter note/quarter note.

Didie