English Concertina at Australian National Folk Festival

Hands up all you Australian English concertina players.

I thought it might be a good idea for all English Concertina players - beginners to advanced - to meet and have a face-to-face Concertina.net chat and possible session.

Let me know if you are interested in attending and I'll arrange a time and place.

Warren Fahey

Hi, I play English concetina and am hoping to go to the the Folk Festival.

I live in Canberra, within about a km of the venue but have not attended previously because of family commitments. This year I'm hoping to go for one day and will probably have a 4 year old in tow.

If you choose a time let me know which day as I'll try to make that the day I go.

I have only been playing for 2 years, but in that time I've not met another English Concertina player face to face, so I'm quite keen!

Robert - I meant to add that English players in Australia are few and far between. Those anglo players don't know what they're missing!

Well, I'm an anglo player who also plays English concertina, and I'll be there (but sans English concertina) and will of course seek out your performances, Warren. Since you are looking for Australian English concertina players, I didn't respond...

Looking forward to the festival....anglo or English!

Dan Worrall

Dave Brannigan lives in Canberra now - I've

played with him a few times now at the O'Malleys

Sunday session. He's a melody plus chords type

of player. He will be playing with Franklin B Paverty

every day at lunchtime at the "Stockman's Camp"

Robert - I meant to add that English players in Australia are few and far between. Those anglo players don't know what they're missing!

Well, I'm an anglo player who also plays English concertina, and I'll be there (but sans English concertina) and will of course seek out your performances, Warren. Since you are looking for Australian English concertina players, I didn't respond...

Looking forward to the festival....anglo or English!

Dan Worrall

Robert - by all means let's meet. I am performing several times so come along and tap me on the shoulder.

I'll be coming on Saturday, so will hopefully see you then - but will probably be darting from your session to Dan Worrell's session as I see that they are back to back!

I had a great time at the festival. We're already planning our trip next year!

I enjoyed seeing the Larrikins perform - Warren: I believe you might have been the only English concertina player on stage.

I sat in on Dan Worrells workshop which was interesting in an academic sort of way (I've worked out how to play a scale in octaves on my english but don't think I'll be adopting it as my prefered style ;-)

Hup: Thanks for the heads up re Dave from Franklin B Paverty. He was playing a banjo on Saturday but was only too pleased to show me his refurbished Wheatstone (original wooden ends replaced with silver, and woodwork redone in stringybark.) Nice guy and beautiful instrument.

And my last highlight was meeting a guy in the session bar who had just been given two Wheatstone concertinas - one Bass the other Bass Baritone I think. Apparently an estate had decided that rather than selling them (when the original owner died) they would set up a trust that would lend them to Concertina players for perpetuity. I got to have a diddle with the Bass Baritone but found the lack of a note on the draw to be too distracting to manage any more.

Oh, thanks about The Larrikins concerts - we enjoyed ourselves too.

The two monster concertinas were a Bass and a Baritone. They only have action on the push because of their size. They were owned by Rowan Webb who died last year - and wanted them to go to a good home. They now belong to John Thompson, an English system player, of Cloudstreet - a perfect recipient.

Oh, thanks about The Larrikins concerts - we enjoyed ourselves too.

The two monster concertinas were a Bass and a Baritone. They only have action on the push because of their size. They were owned by Rowan Webb who died last year - and wanted them to go to a good home. They now belong to John Thompson, an English system player, of Cloudstreet - a perfect recipient.

So sorry to hear of the passing of Rowan Webb, Warren,

I remember those two monster Concertinas very well because I sold them to Rowan back in the '70's. He was a very good friend.

Best regards,

Geoff.