Simon Thoumire

Elizabeth,

Thanks for the link to the Simon Thoumire concert review. The Big Day In is my all time favorite concertina recording, I've been playing it constantly for months. Track three is amazing. Loved the pictures of Simon's hand positions, I've often wondered if the added freedom he has to move his fingers around the keyboard is at least a small part of his incredible playing. It sure doesn't hurt his ability to shape & control the notes. I'd love to find out more about exactly how he plays. How does he do those lightning fast ornaments that he uses where a flute player would likely put a roll? Is he just using two fingers on one button? I sure can't make my concertina do it.

I wish he'd do a tour of the USA some day. I emailed him last fall to ask if he was coming over and he promptly sent me a nice email explaining he had no USA tour planned. Maybe I should just contact him directly and ask how he does stuff.

bruce boysen

You can read an article Simon Thoumire wrote about his own English concertina playing style if you go to the Footstompin Records web site at:

www.footstompin.com

and then click on Articles and follow the links to his essay.

And Big Day In is brilliant, I agree.

Cheers,

Peter Dyson

Bellingham, WA

I gotta tell ya, I thought "The Big Day In" was on of those "not to beaten" type of CDs. Well, as fate would have it, Simon's CD titled "Solo" will absolutely blow you off the pond. I think he stretches the limits of the concertina into places that most people have not often dared to take it; and take it there he does! If you are a fan of Thoumire's, do not pass up this CD.

Rhomylly,

Greetings from northern Kentucky! We will have to get together and squeeze off a few. Regarding Thoumire recordings: concertina.net has a link to his company, Foot Stompin' Recordings. Great service! My order was here within one week!

Thoumire is a technical wizard but, at least right now, a little too far out for me. If you enjoy him yet long for a more traditional approach, check out his inspiration, Allistair Anderson.

Simon,Very cool to see you on the forum. You are the only player of the English Concertina that I know of who is pushing the envelope, into the 21st century. Harmony and Rhythm being pushed to the limit on the EC, most cool, most worthy and within a tradition. English concertina needs a champion and you are it ! Playing a Tenor Treble might be the reason for your "unique" hold (perhaps), I was advised to avoid T/T's because I would be "unable" to reach the low notes "anyway". Seems you found your way around"that", I persist none the less. and the TT is my favorite. You da man ! Rock on. Al W.

Simon, Good to see you on the forum. The English Concertina needs a champion and you are it. (I will strive to avoid emotocon use in this, my first post on the upgraded concertina net forum, so forgive that reticence.)

You are the only person pushing the EC into the 21st century. The Rhythmic intensity and drive of the music I've heard you play gives me hope for the future of the EC. I own your "fusion" CD, the one with the guitarist. Very cool.It would be jazz if you had just one Duke Elington tune. ( smiley emotocon infered)

I happened on a TT Edeophone and have been playing my music on it (such as it is ). I wonder if your unique method of holding the instrument might be influenced by the fact that you are playing a Tenor Treble. I was "warned" that I would be unable to reach the low notes on a TT. Your "hold" eliminates that "problem". I love that tenor range. My lowest note a D. works for me, but your addition of that Bb is interesting.

Once again cheers to all, hope to see the list members at next years N.E.S.I. I booked too much work to go this year,the heavens be praised. I vow to use my TT at the next gig I play. Enough of this Guitar and Violin nonsence already. I may have to attend Whitney as a consolation prize. Regs, Al Watsky