Period Pains!

Ptarmigan

Recently I bought a wonderful old Æola Baritone :wub: which weighs in at 2041g

Now it does have wrist straps but, foolishly I think, last week I lengthened them slightly, thinking they were too long!

However, it was clearly the wrong thing to do, because for two days after that, my thumbs ached & they were actually weakened so badly that I could not open neither jars nor juice or medicine bottles, in fact I could hardly hold my Fiddle Bow & almost dropped it while performing at the Burns Supper! :(

I have of course re-set the straps to the original lengths.

I guess Colin Dipper really does know more than me after all, when it comes to Concertina Straps! ;)

I'm hoping it was simply because I'd altered the straps.

I'd hate to think I wasn't fit to play this lovely Concertina!

Has anyone ever tried one of those long neck straps that some folks use to support the weight?

I had no serious problems, apart from slight Pinkie pain, when I started playing English Treble Concertina, back in September.

I haven't had any problems either, playing my Æola Tenor Treble & that doesn't even have wrist straps.

I wonder, has anyone else here ever experienced this sort of pain?

Is it time for me to give up .......... & take up the Harmonica instead? :wacko:

Cheers

Dick

Now it does have wrist straps but, foolishly I think, last week I lengthened them slightly, thinking they were too long!

However, it was clearly the wrong thing to do, because for two days after that, my thumbs ached & they were actually weakened so badly that I could not open neither jars nor juice or medicine bottles, in fact I could hardly hold my Fiddle Bow & almost dropped it while performing at the Burns Supper! :(

I have of course re-set the straps to the original lengths.

I guess Colin Dipper really does know more than me after all, when it comes to Concertina Straps! ;)

I'm hoping it was simply because I'd altered the straps.

I'd hate to think I wasn't fit to play this lovely Concertina!

Has anyone ever tried one of those long neck straps that some folks use to support the weight?

I had no serious problems, apart from slight Pinkie pain, when I started playing English Treble Concertina, back in September.

I haven't had any problems either, playing my Æola Tenor Treble & that doesn't even have wrist straps.

I wonder, has anyone else here ever experienced this sort of pain?

Is it time for me to give up .......... & take up the Harmonica instead? :wacko:

Cheers

Dick

I noticed this guy supports the weight of his large concertina (both ends) on his lap,and it looks to me like he does not use his wrist straps or neck straps either. Don't give up!

http://flickr.com/photos/74082216@N00/2214065275

Haromonica, "So What", "Ho Hum". Well that's what he said in the video :blink:

Leo

Edited by Leo

Eh, Dick? Is that the long and short of it? Seriously though, though I don't have my baritone to hand (it's not an Aeloa, sob, sob) - it's with a certain Mr Dipper at the moment getting a bit of TLC, so I can't weigh it - it doesn't have wrist straps and I have had no problems balancing it on my knee and playing it in the same way as I play my Edeophone treble. You may find that you can play it without using the wrist straps, or a neck strap, unless you plan to join a marching band! Give it a try.

Chris

Ah, but this is a single-action bass. Dick doesn't have one of these .... yet!

OOPS! I was so amazed at the size, I didn't consider that. :unsure: Then Disregard all of the above until you get one. :(

I'll crawl back under my rock now! :mellow:

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

OOPS! I was so amazed at the size, I didn't consider that. :unsure: Then Disregard all of the above until you get one. :(

Thanks

Leo

As surely as night follows day, a few minutes after my posting, a Wheatstone Bass was offered for sale. So; maybe Dick will soon have a Bass after all. :blink:

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks

Leo

As surely as night follows day, a few minutes after my posting, a Wheatstone Bass was offered for sale. So; maybe Dick will soon have a Bass after all. :blink:

Regards,

Peter.

:lol: No thanks Peter, I've got my work cut out right now with this Baritone, so I won't be going after it.

But please feel free to go after it yourself! ;)

Eh, Dick? Is that the long and short of it? Seriously though, though I don't have my baritone to hand (it's not an Aeloa, sob, sob) - it's with a certain Mr Dipper at the moment getting a bit of TLC, so I can't weigh it - it doesn't have wrist straps and I have had no problems balancing it on my knee and playing it in the same way as I play my Edeophone treble. You may find that you can play it without using the wrist straps, or a neck strap, unless you plan to join a marching band! Give it a try.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Up to now, I have felt most comfortable sitting cross legged, as in my YouTubes, letting my thigh take the weight.

However, I must try sitting up & resting it on one knee instead & see if that helps.

Perhaps I may even take a couple of bravery pills & try playing ........ strapless!

Which begs the question, has anyone ever been recorded playing a Concertina during a Parachute Jump? :ph34r:

Cheers

Dick

:lol: No thanks Peter, I've got my work cut out right now with this Baritone, so I won't be going after it.

But please feel free to go after it yourself! ;)

Well, on the basis that my English is smaller and lighter than a standard Treble, I think I'll also pass up on this one.

Perhaps I may even take a couple of bravery pills & try playing ........ strapless!

Which begs the question, has anyone ever been recorded playing a Concertina during a Parachute Jump? :ph34r:

Hope you are not going to try that, strapless! :o

Maybe your could play it in space..then it'd be weightless. ;)

Whooh! Playing in space.... Now that would be cool.

Actualy now that I think of it, it would be quite cold...-270 Kalvin I think. :o (I need a shivering smily face thingy here.)

fjb

Actualy now that I think of it, it would be quite cold...-270 Kalvin I think. :o (I need a shivering smily face thingy here.)

fjb

There's also this lack of air thing ...... in space noone can hear you scream play concertina

Edited by spindizzy

fjb

There's also this lack of air thing ...... in space noone can hear you scream play concertina

Could solve my practicing problems. ;)

I was thinking more of playing inside the international space station. lol!

I read the title and thought it applied to me :unsure: Just can't play when its my <whisper>TOTM</whisper> my brain rebels.

Oh wait its about something else :o :blink: lol!

No LDT, I'm afraid I certainly can't use that as an excuse! 3.gif

I'm either just not holding the darn thing right, or I'm not giving my hands time to adjust to the bigger beastie!