Identity

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't bother replying to this thread because, to be honest, I couldn't care less either way. However, something just came up on another forum I belong to which relates to this thread....

Two of the posters, one a long standing member and one a newbie, got into a debate and during this debate it came up that the newbie has on and off over the years been suffering from some significant psychological problems. Things got a bit heated over not much at all and then the newbie posted a cryptic reference from which it became obvious that he had used the other poster's name and location to identify his home address. The long standing poster has left the forum, the newbie has been banned, and the rest of us are creeped out & concerned.

Well you get nutters everywhere, the trick is not to let them upset you, as I know you know.

How did the treatment bit come out? Did the regular actually write "You're a looney, aren't you?" and Mr Dodgy replied "Yes........"?

Well you get nutters everywhere, the trick is not to let them upset you, as I know you know.

I know, but I'll keep on trying to upset you anyway - Duets pah!!! ;)

How did the treatment bit come out? Did the regular actually write "You're a looney, aren't you?" and Mr Dodgy replied "Yes........"?

I think you only get such straight-forward conversations in antipodean countries.

Nothing wrong with duets, I think, also in Europe. please be human to Duet players. I am one myself. Maybe I am holding it upside down (depending on where you are), but it works.

I agree with Dirge that nutters should not upset you. What I am trying to say, you do not have to try to upset him. Isn't it true that people from antipodean countries are upset by definition, forced by gravity?

Happy sessions,

Marien.

I think you only get such straight-forward conversations in antipodean countries.

...the trick is not to let them upset you....
Nothing wrong with duets, I think, also in Europe. please be human to Duet players. I am one myself.

Don't worry, Marien. Woody was only joking. He wasn't really knocking duets.

He knows that Dirge is a strong advocate of duets (especially Maccanns), and Woody was joking that while Dirge might ordinarily be difficult to upset, disparaging duets would be something that would upset him . ;)

...something just came up on another forum I belong to which relates to this thread....

Two of the posters, one a long standing member and one a newbie, got into a debate and during this debate it came up that the newbie has on and off over the years been suffering from some significant psychological problems. Things got a bit heated over not much at all and then the newbie posted a cryptic reference from which it became obvious that he had used the other poster's name and location to identify his home address. The long standing poster has left the forum, the newbie has been banned, and the rest of us are creeped out & concerned.

I agree with Dirge that nutters should not upset you.

Dirge and Marien, it sounds to me as if you two have never had to deal with real nutters -- the physically violent or even fatal kind, -- and maybe don't even believe in them. Do you think all of this past year's garish headlines were fiction? Such folks may be rare, but I wonder how you would feel if someone you knew only from an online forum and only slightly said they had a personal grudge against you and had taken the trouble to track down your address.

I don't know how it happened in this case, but very often people who have been declared mentally unstable will "confess" the fact or even boast about it with no prompting.

What I am trying to say, you do not have to try to upset him.

Many people -- even "normal" ones -- can become upset without anyone trying to upset them. I recall one incident (not recent) where a member here (most definitely not a "nutter") was greatly offended/insulted by something I wrote... which I had considered a compliment to him. He had seen a very different meaning in my comment than what I had intended. (We communicated personally "off line" to resolve the problem.)

C.net seems a pretty safe place, but there are many online "places" where I would be reluctant to reveal my true name and location, just as a precaution.

It's a matter of proportion Jim. Everyone sets their own levels; with me it's important not to let loonies/miseries/safety nazis stop people living life to the full. Healthy contempt is a good way of cutting killjoys of all sorts down to size.

It's a matter of proportion Jim. Everyone sets their own levels; with me it's important not to let loonies/miseries/safety nazis stop people living life to the full. Healthy contempt is a good way of cutting killjoys of all sorts down to size.

I didn't post to either encourage or discourage people from using their real names, just to pass on a potential consequence of doing so.