Current players of The Maccann ?

This video was added to Youtube a few weeks ago ... looking at it, I think that it is a Maccann (correct me if I'm wrong please) ... and the lady's name is Mary. Unfortunately, whoever posted it gives her no surname, and little more information about her.

Anybody know her?

I stopped the video whilst Mary was showing the instrument to the audience and thus counted five rows accross.. so I'd say it is a Crane.

Yes Geoff,

With the wide, curved Butterworth/Lachenal key spacing.

Geoffrey

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see that 81 key again Chris. Did Bill tell you how he managed to buy it? Makes interesting telling.

[/Quote]

No, he didn't, Irene. And we were a bit short on time at the end of the evening, even if I had thought to ask him. Do tell. :)

I understood from Bill when I bumped into him again last year that he was using the Anglo he got from Keith in performance pretty quickly after purchasing it.

Yes, it's a 39 key Jeffries system, with plenty of duplicate notes, so he said he found it very easy to learn, playing across the rows.

Chris

• 2 years later...

I don't know where this project ever got to, but I've just discovered that Hazel Askew of the excellent Askew Sisters is playing Maccann these days, and doing very nicely on it (no surprise there!). Was she included on the list, and are there any other recent additions we should know about? Sadly, of course, there must be some names to remove from the list, for the inevitable reasons.

Matt Quinn here...

I'm a Maccann Duet Player. I play it in a band called The Dovetail Trio. http://dovetailtrio.com

I'm also a melodeon player (he said hesitantly) and I've only been playing the Duet for almost 2 years. I bought mine from Sylvia Needham in the summer of 2013.

Further info about me and my playing can be found at www.mattquinnmusic.co.uk

This is my first post here, but I've had an account for a while. Thought I'd better check in.

Nice to be here.

Cheers

Matt

Matt Quinn here...

I'm a Maccann Duet Player. I play it in a band called The Dovetail Trio. http://dovetailtrio.com

I'm also a melodeon player (he said hesitantly) and I've only been playing the Duet for almost 2 years. I bought mine from Sylvia Needham in the summer of 2013.

Further info about me and my playing can be found at www.mattquinnmusic.co.uk

This is my first post here, but I've had an account for a while. Thought I'd better check in.

Nice to be here.

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

nice to see you here! No need to apologize for the melodeon, heard you doing "Under The Sea" (at the Lewes Folk Festival, 2013), loved it!

Best wishes - Wolf

I don't know where this project ever got to, but I've just discovered that Hazel Askew of the excellent Askew Sisters is playing Maccann these days, and doing very nicely on it (no surprise there!). Was she included on the list, and are there any other recent additions we should know about? Sadly, of course, there must be some names to remove from the list, for the inevitable reasons.

Yes - Hazel has been playing a 55 key for quite some time and is a known quantity. I shall have to get back to doing this list at some point. Another fairly newbie is Ollie King; and Ralphie Jordan (who of course is no longer listable - gone but definitely not forgotten by any of us ) sold a 55 key to Becky Taylor about two years ago or more, and I know that she is playing it.these days.. Matt Quinn has been on the list for two years anyway.