Early 'heads up' for Whitby Folk Week

AnnC

Unaccompanied songs (occasional accompanied song on 'tina), Scandinavian & English toons are my thing.

I'm looking forward to it.

Steve

There's a 'Learn Swedish Tunes' do, 11.30am - 12.50pm on the Thursday at the Fisherman's Rowing Club with Vicki Swan on Nyckelharpa and Jonny Dyer on Accordion, any instrument welcome biggrin.gif

This sounds good - I'll try and make it (train arrives about 1200 so I should be there for the 2nd half of the session).

Edited by SteveS

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a 'Learn Swedish Tunes' do, 11.30am - 12.50pm on the Thursday at the Fisherman's Rowing Club with Vicki Swan on Nyckelharpa and Jonny Dyer on Accordion, any instrument welcome biggrin.gif

This sounds good - I'll try and make it (train arrives about 1200 so I should be there for the 2nd half of the session).

Just checked and it's an 'F' price code in the programme so you may be relieved of £5 if the steward is still there when you arrive smile.gif

George Garside on t'other side says:

looks as if there there may be one or two of us in the Elsinore on Thursday afternoon! Maybe a few 'non melnet' (as yet!) box players who will read the notice in the daily newssheet etc.

Just in case anybody thinks otherwise it's not a DG gathering, although no doubt they will be the majority - all sook an blow boxes of whatever tuning ( and their owners) will be most welcome.

george

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,6712.msg93717.html#new

:) :)

We'll be there looking for good sessions and workshops.

So far my events programme has highlighter on it for Sunday at the Rifle club 11.30am-12.50pm 'The Tunes of Scan Tester'with Will Duke, and a tie between a music session with Moor Music in the Middle Earth or John Kirkpatrick in the Fishermans (Fisherlads) Rowing Club, both running from 5pm-7pm biggrin.gif

Monday there's a C/G Anglo workshop10am-11.20 at the Con club with Brian Peters followed by a quick sprint to get some lunch and meet the Scratch Morris for the rest of the day

Tuesday there's an English music session in the Middle Earth 5pm-7pm with Ken Watson

Wednesday there's Early Music at the Con club 11.30am-12.50 with Andy Casserley and Ian Pittaway then Scratch morris for the rest of the afternoon until 4.30pm when the Coliseum has a concert of Medieval musicsmile.gif

Thursday has a clash between the Early music and learning Swedish tunes with a sprint to the Elsinore afterwards to put some faces to melnet names while Friday is either more Scan Tester tunes or an All Systems Concertina forum in the Rugby Club 11.30am-12.50 with Keith Kendrick and Sylvia Needham followed by Scratch Morris.

Add in all the spur of the moment pub sessions and it's going to be a great week biggrin.gif

Edited by anlej

We'll be there looking for good sessions and workshops.

So far my events programme has highlighter on it for Sunday at the Rifle club 11.30am-12.50pm 'The Tunes of Scan Tester'with Will Duke, and a tie between a music session with Moor Music in the Middle Earth or John Kirkpatrick in the Fishermans, both running from 5pm-7pm biggrin.gif

Monday there's a C/G Anglo workshop10am-11.20 at the Con club with Brian Peters followed by a quick sprint to get some lunch and meet the Scratch Morris for the rest of the day

Tuesday there's an English music session in the Middle Earth 5pm-7pm with Ken Watson

Wednesday there's Early Music at the Con club 11.30am-12.50 with Andy Casserley and Ian Pittaway then Scratch morris for the rest of the afternoon until 4.30pm when the Coliseum has a concert of Medieval musicsmile.gif

Thursday has a clash between the Early music and learning Swedish tunes with a sprint to the Elsinore afterwards to put some faces to melnet names while Friday is either more Scan Tester tunes or an All Systems Concertina forum in the Rugby Club 11.30am-12.50 with Keith Kendrick and Sylvia Needham followed by Scratch Morris.

Add in all the spur of the moment pub sessions and it's going to be a great week biggrin.gif

v useful extractions! tks

Any session pubs closed down as was rumoured earler in the year?

The 'Bottom House' is now flats, the 'First Inn' isn't folk friendly any more, the 'Big A' is still boarded up and I'm not sure if the 'Stakesby Arms' has re-opened yet but I'll find out when I'm up that way to drop some music off for someone biggrin.gif

Definitely still going are the Fleece, Middle Earth, Black Horse, Endeavour, Ship, Station, the Dolphin down the Bay and probably some more smile.gif

looking in the programme Becketts cafe on Skinner St. will welcome musicians and singers and there's a daily lunchtime 'have a go' session run by May Cheadle in the Spa Foyer between 1pm-2pm for people who feel a bit shy of joining in a full blown pub session

Edited by anlej

Any session pubs closed down as was rumoured earler in the year?

The 'Bottom House' is now flats, the 'First Inn' isn't folk friendly any more, the 'Big A' is still boarded up and I'm not sure if the 'Stakesby Arms' has re-opened yet but I'll find out when I'm up that way to drop some music off for someone biggrin.gif

Definitely still going are the Fleece, Middle Earth, Black Horse, Endeavour, Ship, Station, the Dolphin down the Bay and probably some more smile.gif

looking in the programme Becketts cafe on Skinner St. will welcome musicians and singers and there's a daily lunchtime 'have a go' session run by May Cheadle in the Spa Foyer between 1pm-2pm for people who feel a bit shy of joining in a full blown pub session

A rumour is being circulated that a sunny day may attract fly-by-day players to the waterside next to the Whitby Backpackers . Only extras you would need it seems are folding stool/chair, coolbox with refreshments and praps water wings.

Google0map here for street pics of the water's edge.

54.481293,-0.611115

parking beyond the Spital's bridge (on the left) by the look of things....

A rumour is being circulated that a sunny day may attract fly-by-day players to the waterside next to the Whitby Backpackers . Only extras you would need it seems are folding stool/chair, coolbox with refreshments and praps water wings.

54.481293,-0.611115

smile.gif I think the row of parking places by the cottages may be private (I'll check) and the bit of handy cobbled 'parking' you're looking at on Google is the slipway ....... and the tide comes in biggrin.gif here's a link to the tide tables for August http://www.tidetimes.org.uk/Whitby-20110820.html

'So far my events programme has highlighter on it for Sunday at the Rifle club 11.30am-12.50pm 'The Tunes of Scan Tester'with Will Duke'

This is well worth attending; Will has done a couple of all-day workshops on Scan's tunes for the Lewes Saturday Folk Club. If you've got one, take a recording device; the tunes are alive with quirky decorations and triplets which spring out and catch you off balance. They can be difficult to recapture.

Rough outlines of some of Scan's tunes are notated on the Lewes Saturday Folk Club website at http://www.lewessaturdayfolkclub.org/LAFC/LFTunes.html#SCAN. You can download them in abc, midi, Noteworthy Composer and pdf. Do bear in mind, though, that these are impressionistic and not holy writ. Don't ask Will to comment on them as he doesn't read music. Wherever there's a difference between the dots and what Will plays, Will is right. They might, however, help to jog your memory after Will's session.

Edited by Valmai Goodyear

Wherever there's a difference between the dots and what Will plays, WILL IS RIGHT.

biggrin.gif Thanks for the link and advice, I've been listening to an old double LP of Scan Tester ' I never played to many posh dances' to get a feel for the tunes but hearing them played live will be much better.

54.481293,-0.611115

smile.gif I think the row of parking places by the cottages may be private (I'll check) and the bit of handy cobbled 'parking' you're looking at on Google is the slipway ....... and the tide comes in biggrin.gif here's a link to the tide tables for August http://www.tidetimes.org.uk/Whitby-20110820.html

Anyone for Handel's water music (Dirge will have gone home by then....but we have him plaaying Nimrod, God of the Sun accompanied by melodeon from ECMW if u want to hear it!)

be good to know parking if u can check out - I see cars parked on Google street, where no yellow lines the other side of spital bridge heading away from the slipway and cobbled/car park at cottages. Backpackers' parking will be full we understand with reezidents conveyances, but they will just bring their cold drinks & seat out as needed.

What about the other side of the houses where there seems to be a path and rail right in front of the water (for playing, not parking)?

Free 'on street' parking in Whitby is a rare as hen's teeth in the holiday season and even residential areas away from the town centre get clogged with holiday makers parking up for the week.

Are you looking at the path/railings to the South of the Backpackers Hostel or Northwards up towards the Fleece and Church Street? I'll have an amble across there later on to have a look smile.gif

Free 'on street' parking in Whitby is a rare as hen's teeth in the holiday season and even residential areas away from the town centre get clogged with holiday makers parking up for the week.

Are you looking at the path/railings to the South of the Backpackers Hostel or Northwards up towards the Fleece and Church Street? I'll have an amble across there later on to have a look smile.gif

With the sea to your back (watch for high waves rolling in) and river and backpackers on your right walk "up" the road over Spital bridge( Iassume the road bridge is called that) and there is some wide entrance to track/road going off to the left - and into wot looks like trees/allotments growing Fordtransitii and so forth. There are no yellow lines where that meeets the road. The googstreet is so diff to use --

With the sea to your back (watch for high waves rolling in) and river and backpackers on your right walk "up" the road over Spital bridge( Iassume the road bridge is called that) and there is some wide entrance to track/road going off to the left - and into wot looks like trees/allotments growing Fordtransitii and so forth. There are no yellow lines where that meeets the road. The googstreet is so diff to use --

Parking in Whitby is a nightmare at any time of year and when there are popular events on, then it is even worse. Scarborough Borough Council car parking charges are extortionate (and that's being polite) but the car parks still fill up so forget that even if you have the mortgage organised. You have two options. One is to park right outside Whitby and use the bus and the other is to be prepared to walk. You can get parked on the streets but nowhere near the town centre. One year I parked in Sleights which is about five miles from Whitby and used the bus and went to fetch the car after six o'clock when the car parks empty and the charges come off. Otherwise I have parked some distance from the town centre and walked. I can usually get within about 10 minutes walk of the town centre.

Don't believe what you see on Google. I found out the hard way. During folk week all those potential spaces you see on the aerial and street views are taken - during the day at least. After six pm, things empty out quite a bit and you can usually move your car to a more convenient location for the evening.

I would seriously consider bus or train if the last bus and train to Middlesbrough weren't so early.

Geoff

Parking in Whitby is a nightmare at any time of year and when there are popular events on, then it is even worse. Scarborough Borough Council car parking charges are extortionate (and that's being polite) but the car parks still fill up so forget that even if you have the mortgage organised. You have two options. One is to park right outside Whitby and use the bus and the other is to be prepared to walk. You can get parked on the streets but nowhere near the town centre. One year I parked in Sleights which is about five miles from Whitby and used the bus and went to fetch the car after six o'clock when the car parks empty and the charges come off. Otherwise I have parked some distance from the town centre and walked. I can usually get within about 10 minutes walk of the town centre.

Don't believe what you see on Google. I found out the hard way. During folk week all those potential spaces you see on the aerial and street views are taken - during the day at least. After six pm, things empty out quite a bit and you can usually move your car to a more convenient location for the evening.

I would seriously consider bus or train if the last bus and train to Middlesbrough weren't so early.

Geoff

Borrowing friendski's spare yacht so parking should not be a problem.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=abramovich+pelorus&view=detail&id=E516CFB793D9FAC6022BB5CD201D9F34D5C87751&first=0&FORM=IDFRIR

The wide looking track, California Road, is the access road to several businesses, including a skip hire company, a fishermans net store and a playing field and where it narrows, leading off up to the allotments ( and I think a house somewhere in the trees) there's a gate barrier put across it to stop unauthorised access and parking smile.gif Not the underused quiet road that Google maps would have you think it is biggrin.gif