What Accompanies A Concertina Well?

The only instrument that I would say is difficult with the concertina is a mouth organ,I have never heard an instrument apart from that which I have thought does not go with a concertina.Joel Thomas one of the finest Mouth Organ players I have heard thinks otherwise however,a possible future project

I certainly like the Hurdy Gurdy with concertina.

Al

I don't see the problem.....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wEZI7HOlzNs

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjux7KtvKmk

Excellent!

I play with Kathryn Kaufman who is a wizzard on the mouth harp. Along with Terry Thomas and his banjos. It is a very good instrumentation with old time material. Only problem is that we don't get to jam all that often.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only instrument that I would say is difficult with the concertina is a mouth organ,I have never heard an instrument apart from that which I have thought does not go with a concertina.Joel Thomas one of the finest Mouth Organ players I have heard thinks otherwise however,a possible future project

I certainly like the Hurdy Gurdy with concertina.

Al

I don't see the problem.....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wEZI7HOlzNs

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjux7KtvKmk

BRILLIANT! Straight to favourites for that Rick Epping video.

Thanks Leonard

There is no combination that you can say, out of hand, is bad or good.

How about bombard and lute. The bombard cannot be played softly, and the lute cannot be played loudly.

Ah, does it not depend on the bombard player? With Shady Grove I attened a folk festival in Nantes back in Novemeber 84'. At one of the events I got to know a bombard player. He wanted to play, we did and my Wheatstone tenor-treble and his bombard did very well together. We actually had dynamics (yes, there was a lot of wine involved and no I was not totally plowed...I think).

As to the lute: It's a rather large family those lutes. I've encounterd players and instruments that had no problem making themselves heard.

To David's point we could look at J.S. Bach. In his second Brandenburg Concerto Grosso, the concertino is made up of an ensemble that one would fine a bit odd: violin, oboe, trumpet and recorder. Each instrument states the ritornello in the first movement and then has a duet with one of the other concertino members. Bach has the trumpet and recorder do a turn together :o . The baroque trumpet is to put it mildly, a beast that in less than expert hands has two volume levels...loud and oh my god! Before the end of the movement the concertino are all going back and forth together with the large ensemble. It can be done and I've been in the audience to wittness it right here in Boston on Baroque instruments.

War pipes? Well, they more or less only want to play alone or gather in groups with drums :ph34r: . There is a lad at the fire station on the western side our town park. I live on the eastern edge. When he cranks up, I've pulled out the penny whistle and played along ;) . I'm sure he's unaware of our duets :huh: .

I'm learning classical guitar, and flirting with the idea of learning concertina...though it seems exponentially more puzzling than classical guitar. However, be that as it may, my best friend plays concertina, so I really want find an instrument just born to accompany the concertina. At NESI 2008 I listened all weekend, loved the music, and it seemed to me that fiddle accompanies the concertina magnificiently, but perhaps there are other suggestions as well? Perhaps anything and everything. Concertinas don't seem to be snobs, they get along with everyone...how does that poem go? "(Nature) lives and loves in every place, calls nothing she meets with base"...that must go for concertinas too! Always finding friends wherever she goes. Dignified and solemn as well as wild and rambuctious. So, what do you think is the ideal instrument to accompany a concertina? ...another concertina? (of course I suppose it depends *a little bit* on the type of music you want to play, but that aside)

thanks for your inspiring ideas!

Priscilla

Just to add to the general confusion......I often play with a cornet/flugelhorn player, which sounds great....brass and concertina makes a great sound!!! Also played recently with cornet/tuba/concertina....which again pleased my ears.. Cheers LIAM!

Just to add to the general confusion......I often play with a cornet/flugelhorn player, which sounds great....brass and concertina makes a great sound!!! Also played recently with cornet/tuba/concertina....which again pleased my ears.. Cheers LIAM!

Hm! Sounds like the Salvation Army! That's what Ab/Eb Anglos are for! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

John

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the serpent yet:

The Lost Chord

(I'm not convinced myself!)

I wonder whether they have a similar thread running on S.net?

I went to the "Serpent Celebration 1590-1990" concert, in London, and have a copy of the recording made available after the event. The notes indicate that 58 serpent players were present, plus conductor/pianist. Mr Townsend was not present, but a certain Mr Dipper was.

The concert finished up with a performance of the 1812 Overture.

Regards,

Peter.

PS - I'm not convinced, either, but it makes an "interesting" sound.