swelling on pinkie knuckle

michael sam wild

I've got a pain and a swelling on the inner side of the middle knuckle of my right hand pinkie (little finger) It is about the size of a pea and is jelly-like in a capsule . the joint hurts and won't bend to well so it impedes using f natural and a

Any ideas?

Edited by michael sam wild

I've got a pain and a swelling on the inner side of the middle knuckle of my right hand pinkie (little finger) It is about the size of a pea and is jelly-like in a capsule . the joint hurts and won't bend to well so it impedes using f natural and a

Any ideas?

Yeah.

See a doctor.

At least (s)he'll be able to examine it, which is more than I can do.

From your description I could suspect it to be anything from a blister to a burrowing parasite to cancer.

Mike,

Seek professional help. (For your finger; obviously none of us can help you with your compulsion to play concertina!)

Hope you improve quickly. (The finger's health; I have not heard your playing.)

Greg

PS. Seriously, get in touch with the health system and take care of your finger.

Wait a minute, aren't you supposed to use your third finger for the right side F nat? Are we talking anglo? I only use my right pinky for the Bb on the accidental row as far as I can remember...

Wait a minute, aren't you supposed to use your third finger for the right side F nat? Are we talking anglo? I only use my right pinky for the Bb on the accidental row as far as I can remember...

yeah sorry, it's for the a

Anyway I will visit the quack as my partner recommended 3 weeks ago! I'm just scared of the knife! She says it typical of blokes.

Mike,

Usually lots of more conservative treatments and choices before you get to the knife. And always get a second or third opinion before going down a treatment road of no return.

Best wishes for your recovery,

Greg

Mike,

Usually lots of more conservative treatments and choices before you get to the knife. And always get a second or third opinion before going down a treatment road of no return.

Best wishes for your recovery,

Greg

Thanks Greg and all the other answers. It's still there but less painful. I've got an appointment at the doctor in three weeks! Meanwhile I'm avoiding those notes on the far right

On further enquiry on the web it seems it is a bursa, cyst or ganglion. Leaked synovial fluid in a capsule from which water gets withdrawn to form the gel.

One old way of treating it was apparently to whack it with a family bible to burst it!!

I asked here because I like to hear whether anyone else has had one and recovered.

Our Religious Instruction teacher used to use his to hit you on the head if you wre a bit slow.

I've got an appointment at the doctor in three weeks!

Wow! 3 weeks?? Is that the normal waiting period for medical attention in the UK? In that case I hope it's not serious....well...I hope it's not serious in any case really.

One old way of treating it was apparently to whack it with a family bible to burst it!!

Maybe I'll start using the family bible in my imaginary practice. Was that the King James version? Old or new testament?

I've got an appointment at the doctor in three weeks!

Wow! 3 weeks?? Is that the normal waiting period for medical attention in the UK? In that case I hope it's not serious....well...I hope it's not serious in any case really.

Maybe I'll start using the family bible in my imaginary practice. Was that the King James version? Old or new testament?

I could go and queue up but haven't got the time or desire to catch swine flu in the waiting room so that's the earliest appointment date round here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Still waiting. Obama will have sorted US healthcare before NHS!

Then we'll be waiting 3 weeks to see the doctor too! :(

Last time I went in for microsurgery was when I had nearly severed my little finger on the LHS. I have since strengthened it by playing Fsharp and D

Every time I went to the hospital I seemed to get pushed to the back of the queue as drunks came in with stupid accidents!

well, there's no "supposed" to in the concertina. i have a modified jeffries layout ( http://www.carrollconcertinas.com/images/C...uttonConfig.jpg ) and i play Bb with the third finger, actually. it just makes more sense... if you are playing a with the middle finger (inside row), then grabbing it with the next finger (third finger) is much easier than grabbing Bb with the pinky. if you use the pinky, you are needlessly stretching for a note that you don't have to stretch at all for. same thing goes for using the pinky finger A... it is so much easier to grab Bb with the third finger than jumping with the pinkie. like i said... no rules--if it works for you then, it's great. obviously Bb occurs next to other notes, but no you're not "supposed" to use a finger for anything, it's all based on what works best for what you are trying to do. personally, i have *never* used my pinky for Bb (but maybe for C# on the push).

also, if you look at the instrument, there 3 notes which would be on the pinky in first position* (including Bb, as you play it), and 3 notes on the pinky in second position. so, even if we consider "supposed" to based on 1st button=1st finger philosophy, we have 6 notes on the pinky, not one...

*i consider first position is when your fingers are in home... 2nd position to be shifted shifted up one AWAY from the center of the instrument. everyone might shift to second position for different reasons or in different places, but for example, if you are playing the C scale on the right hand side along the row, you have to switch to second position at some point to complete the scale.

michael--hope your finger gets better. maybe you should go to cuba like michael moore did? they might treat you faster... :-P

Sure, and come back with an insatiable urge to smoke crooked cigars and play Babalu with a big hat of fruit on your head. :P