Matching Cases With Instruments

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is no-one going to disagree with me then ?

Oh alright then, do you want to have the full argument, or were you thinking of taking a course? ;)

... does a case need to be a work of art? Indeed doesn't making a work of art somewhat defeat the object as you then start to worry about the case itself getting damaged?

Or does it make you more careful what you do with the case, thus subjecting the instrument to less potentially damaging shocks ? After all, if you consider your case to be "bullet-proof", you tend not to worry about banging into things so much ! :o

Mind you, some of the old hexagonal wooden cases did have "outer" cases made of leather, or even ("termite-proof") tin for the Tropics, to protect them. I think some of today's "concertina gig-bags" might be big enough to act as outer cases ?

I understand the idea that gravity might eventually cause the valves to fall away from the reed plate if the instrument were in storage for a prolonged period. But I would have thought this affect would have been very slight compared with the stresses of normal playing ...

I have revalved many concertinas that have been stored on their ends. The valves underneath the pan are usually considerably curled away from the wood (so much so that they couldn't possibly work), whilst those on top are generally flat against it.

Stephen, you said:

"I have revalved many concertinas that have been stored on their ends. The valves underneath the pan are usually considerably curled away from the wood (so much so that they couldn't possibly work), whilst those on top are generally flat against it."

That would seem pretty conclusive that the curling is due to gravity rather natural movement due to drying out etc. Do you know if these instruments were played regularly as well, or had they been stored for a long time without being played at all?

Also I've just noticed that there is a whole thread on case requirements and design in the 'General' forum, perhaps we should transfer that part of this thread into that one.

And look, I didn't come here for an argument, I want to complain!

Clive

Edited by Clive Thorne

Personally I always store my concertinas oriented North-South so that the reeds lie across the earth's magnetic field, thus ensuring that they pick up no magnetic charge.  B)

Chris

Chris, you might have to make a more careful study of the earth's magnetic field. In British lattitudes the magnetic field is not parallel with the surface but dips downward towards the magnetic north) The angle of dip is very roughly 70degrees in the UK so you may need to design a case that will hold the instrument at that inclination!

Theo

Do you know if these instruments were played regularly as well, or had they been stored for a long time without being played at all?

Clive,

Most of them haven't been played since goodness knows when, but some have had relatively new valves, and were being played.

I've just noticed that there is a whole thread on case requirements and design in the 'General' forum, perhaps we should transfer that part of this thread into that one.

Maybe ? :huh:

And look, I didn't come here for an argument, I want to complain!

Oh, no, that's next door. It's "being hit on the head" lessons in here. :o

(Monty Python references, for anybody who isn't familiar with The Argument Sketch.)

Edited by Stephen Chambers

• 2 weeks later...
Chris, you might have to make a more careful study of the earth's magnetic field.  In British lattitudes the magnetic field is not parallel with the surface but dips downward towards the magnetic north)  The angle of dip is very roughly 70degrees in the UK so you may need to design a case that will hold the instrument at that inclination!

Ah, stupid! How could I have forgotten that! (Slaps forehead with palm of hand, momentarily forgetting the horse shoe I'm holding. Ouch.) No wonder the lights keep flashing as I play. Or is that the horse shoe?

It seems to me the only solution is to build a case that is impermeable both to magnetism and gravity. Then you could have your concertina oriented however you want.

Chris