50 Key Treble

Robin Harrison

Anyone ever seen a 50 key treble before ?

Aeola

Looks like they are squeekers. Robin

My guess, based on the odd positions of them, was a whistle and squeeker. Of course, such features are more commonly seen on Anglos, but I have seen them on an Edeophone English before now, and I've heard of them on a duet.

So it went for US $6,100.00 in the end, though it probably has a hook action.

I bought an ABSOLUTELY identical concertina of the same vintage from the Button Box in 1998. They had purchased it from a woman whose father had left it to her many years ago. When she contacted the Button Box, they did not initially believe her description of 50 buttons, and she was somewhat insulted. I wish that I had placed all my money in concertinas -- I paid half that amount retail ten years ago. The two additional buttons are simply two higher notes. I am quite sure that it has riveted action.

I bought an ABSOLUTELY identical concertina of the same vintage from the Button Box in 1998. ... The two additional buttons are simply two higher notes.

That's curious - In that case it appears to have a top C# on the right side, and a jump from that to top F# on the left, with none of the intermediate notes... :huh:

I am quite sure that it has riveted action.

It was made following Wheatstone's takeover of Lachenal & Co., during a period of great change that saw the introduction of cheaper construction methods and materials. The Wheatstone Edeophone Anglo #33301, made for a vaudeville act in July 1934 (and now owned by C.net member Greg Jowaisas), has a hook action, as does the Æola treble # 34523 made in May 1937 specially for Alf Edwards (I know because it's now my personal instrument!), so I'd be surprised if the amboyna eBay Æola # 33861, made in between them in October 1935, is any different. :unsure:

Anyone ever seen a 50 key treble before ? Aeola

Looks like they are squeekers.

My guess, based on the odd positions of them, was a whistle and squeeker.
I bought an ABSOLUTELY identical concertina of the same vintage from the Button Box in 1998. ... The two additional buttons are simply two higher notes.
That's curious - In that case it appears to have a top C# on the right side, and a jump from that to top F# on the left, with none of the intermediate notes... :huh:

I, too, own a 50-button Æola. It's been in the possession of a friend for some time, so I don't remember exactly what the two extra buttons are, but they are extra high notes, not novelty buttons. I think the positions are the same as this one on eBay, but the notes on them are not what I expected from their positioning. It always puzzled me both why those particular notes were chosen and why they were placed irregularly.

Has anyone counted how many 50-button Englishes are listed in the Wheatstone ledgers?

I, too, own a 50-button Æola. It's been in the possession of a friend for some time, so I don't remember exactly what the two extra buttons are, but they are extra high notes, not novelty buttons. I think the positions are the same as this one on eBay, but the notes on them are not what I expected from their positioning. It always puzzled me both why those particular notes were chosen and why they were placed irregularly.

Well the only 50-key I've ever seen was the Edeophone that I mentioned, though that had the whistle and squeeker buttons outside the normal fingering pattern. Maybe these Æola 50-keys were only made for the US market, and even for one store or teacher? :unsure:

Well the only 50-key I've ever seen was the Edeophone that I mentioned, though that had the whistle and squeeker buttons outside the normal fingering pattern. Maybe these Æola 50-keys were only made for the US market, and even for one store or teacher? :unsure:

Teacher??
:unsure:

These are three very special Æolas. They would have to be for exceedingly special "students", methinks.

Instruments made specially so that their players could do one particular piece? Any ideas as to the purpose of the extra keys, or even as to whether these instruments are in any way connected to each other, seem wildly speculative.

Are the serial numbers even close to each other? Are there any more in the ledgers?

I was speaking loosely when I said that mine was the "same vintage." It was made in 1925 (#30801). I transformed the top note on the left side into an air button, so I do not remember what the note was (although I have the reed). The extra buttons are on the top of the inside row on both sides.

I was speaking loosely when I said that mine was the "same vintage." It was made in 1925 (#30801).

Ah, a lot can happen in a decade, and it certainly did at both Wheatstone's and Lachenal's between 1925 and 1935, not forgetting with the World Economy... :huh:

In that case your instrument should certainly have a riveted action, not forgetting better construction and materials - in fact I'd be much more interested in buying yours than the one on eBay. ;)

Teacher??

These are three very special Æolas. They would have to be for exceedingly special "students", methinks.

Why not Jim, we know of numerous high quality instruments sold by teachers such as Harry Boyd (Alistair Anderson plays one of those!), Joseph Astley and A.M. Ross.

Instruments made specially so that their players could do one particular piece?

I'd been wondering that myself, in fact it might fit in with them having been ordered for pupils of the same teacher... :unsure:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Teacher??

Why not Jim, we know of numerous high quality instruments sold by teachers such as Harry Boyd (Alistair Anderson plays one of those!), Joseph Astley and A.M. Ross.

Instruments made specially so that their players could do one particular piece?

I'd been wondering that myself, in fact it might fit in with them having been ordered for pupils of the same teacher... :unsure:

And now (since the instrument has been relisted with more information) we seem to know who - no less than Gregory Matusewitch!

In the words of the eBay seller:

HISTORY:

This concertina has been in my aunt's home for years. She used to play it as a teen in the late 30's. (I thought, she had been the one and only owner, turns out, I thought wrong!) After speaking with her, here is her recollection of the past. You can email me for the full story, if you want more details.

In the mid to late 1930's my aunt lived in Bronx, NY. Her parents were friends and neighbors of Gregory and Manya?? Matusewitch. My aunts parents wanted her to take concertina lessons from their son Boris. Manya Matusewitch sold one of Gregory's gently used concertinas, to my aunts mother for a very low price (around 1936-37). My aunt took lessons from Boris for approx. 2 years.

And now (since the instrument has been relisted with more information) we seem to know who - no less than Gregory Matusewitch!

Indeed, the photo of him in the Free-Reed Journal article (see link above) shows him with just such an Æola with the extra key in the top C# position. I wonder if those two high notes were needed for his playing of the "Czardas" by V. Monti? (That goes up pretty high... )

GregoryMatusewitch.jpg

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I see it's back on because the winning bidder didn't pay up. Could this be a scam or perhaps the fake bidder is back?

I don't see any reason to be suspicious about the relisting, in fact the additional information from the seller sounds very genuine. But maybe a fake bidder?

It seems quite genuine to me too and anyone with three grand to spare (pounds, that is) can grab themselves a nice bit of concertina history as well as an exceedingly beautiful and unusual instrument.

Chris

... the instrument has been relisted with more information ...

Though I see I forgot to provide a link to the new auction: Wheatstone Aeola 50 key English Concertina "Vintage"Exceptional! Rare! History w/famous Boris Matusewitch!

The Wheatstone Edeophone Anglo #33301, made for a vaudeville act in July 1934 (and now owned by C.net member Greg Jowaisas), has a hook action ...

And I also failed to mention that I had the owner of another of that special trio of D/A Edeophone Anglos in my house only a couple of weeks ago, though sadly the instrument was safely at home, in Rochester, New York. I'd love to have seen it! :(

I believe the relisting is legitimate. The initial auction winner was in touch with me to possibly order parts for reconditioning. Through a series of snaffus the final sale was not completed.

So Stephen, is this fate (ta, ta, ta, dah; from the 5th) knocking on your door inviting you to be able to place Alf's and Boris' instruments next to one another?

Greg

I've been watching this forum for a long time and I am interested in this concertina. Does anyone know what would be an acceptible and fair bid for this gem? I don't want to bid too low but I don't want to go too high either!