Dipper Concertinas

scott fineran

I KNOW THAT DIPPER CONCERTINAS HAVE THE REPUTATION AS BEING THE BEST OF MODERN MADE INSTRUMENTS WITH MANY PLAYERS AND I WS INTERESTED IN FINDING OUT MORE INFORMATION ON THEM. I KNOW THAT HE DOES NOT HAVE A WEB SITE BUT BUT DIDN'T REALLY WANT TO CALL FROM AUS. TO THE UK. DOES HE HAVE ANY BROCHURE OR INFORMATION ON HIS INSTRUMENTS AND IF SO DOES ANYONE HAVE A COPY. I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE STANDARD TYPES OF ANGLO'S THAT HE BUILDS AND THEIR PRICES AND ALSO A BIT OF AN IDEA ON THE CURRENT WAITING TIMES FOR HIS INSTRUMENTS.

ANYONE OUT THERE WILLING TO COMPARE A DIPPER WITH A SUTTNER? I DID SEE ONE OF EACH A FEW YEARS AGO OVER HERE AND THEY LOOKED VERY SIMILAR.

ALSO (MAYBE BEST DIRECTED TOWARDS MAKERS AND THE LIKES), WHAT DO PEOPLE THINK ABOUT THE MAINETENACE OF OLDER INSTRUMENTS LIKE JEFFRIES. I HAVE ONE THAT I LOVE TO PLAY VERY MUCH BUT I THINK THAT AT THE END OF THE DAY, THEY ARE A MECHANICAL DEVICE AND WEAR MUST CATCH UP WITH THEM AS SOME STAGE. SEEING THAT IT IS OVER 100 YEARS OLD NOW AND I'D LIKE TO THINK I WILL BE PLAYING FOR A 30 PLUS YEARS ALL GOING WELL, ARE THEY LIKELY TO REMAIN IN A GOOD PLAYABLE CONDITION FOR THE NEXT 30 YEARS IF THEY ARE PLAYED REGULARLY. IF ALL OF THE MECHANICS OF IT NEED REPLACING DOWN THE TRACK WOULDN'T I BE BETTER OFF WITH A NEWER INSTRUMENT LIKE A DIPPER OR SUTTNER ETC.

THANKS

SCOTT

I consider that a good Jeffries in good condition well maintained will outlast both you and me, and anyone else on this forum for that matter. The same goes for good Wheatstones and Crabbs. With these instruments, and also with Dippers, we are talking beautifully made concertinas that I think should reasonably be expected to last some centuries.

To make comparisons, I can tell you that, miraculous though my Dipper baritone is, when I came into possession of my current Jeffries G/D I gave up my place of 5 years standing on the Dipper's waiting list for a G/D. They are both wonderful instruments and I can't ever see me selling either (admitedly the Jeffries was restored by the Dippers ...).

Although I own both a Jeffries and a Dipper and can testify to the excellence of both, I know less about Suttners. I have occasionally handled one and they seemed good to play, but I haven't fiddled around with them enough to express a strong opinion. The omens seem good, though. Others should be able to say better than me.

Colin and Rosalie have a few standard models, I believe. I know of the County Clare for Irish music, the Cotswold for morris and the Shantyman for song accompaniment. However you can customise them enormously. Waiting times, well, several years and up. I know that they have in the main stopped taking repair work in an effort to catch up with the backlog, but each concertina takes them a couple of weeks and a lot of people want one. I can testify, though, that they are worth the wait.

If you've got several thousand pounds at your disposal to buy a top quality concertina, I would consider looking out for a good Jeffries. Having done that get yourself on the waiting list of a good maker, such as the Dippers. Then forget about it. One day your turn will come and you'll feel like you've won the lottery. You can sell the Jeffries to pay for the Dipper, which it ought to do well enough.

Chris

PS There's no getting round it - if you want to buy a Dipper you are going to have to get on the phone.

"Caps Lock". Turn it off, please.

Seconded (with some sympathy).

Does anyone know how to kill the thing permanently? The 'Caps Lock' still wastes my time when I tickle it by mistake and have to retype a couple of lines, and I never use it deliberately.

Using a large hammer only seems reasonable for a split second, fortunately.

"Caps Lock". Turn it off, please.

Seconded (with some sympathy).

Does anyone know how to kill the thing permanently? The 'Caps Lock' still wastes my time when I tickle it by mistake and have to retype a couple of lines, and I never use it deliberately.

Using a large hammer only seems reasonable for a split second, fortunately.

Hello Dirge,

A programmer more informed than I may be able to advise you if/how todisable the CAPS LOCK function.

However, there is a handy and, perhaps, irritating little feature that will inform you with an audible tone that you've actually turned it on. Could save you come re-typing. Please note that the content of the text is taken directly from the Microsoft instruction with no editorializing on my part.

Here's the instruction:

To turn on ToggleKeys

ToggleKeys is designed for people who have vision impairment or cognitive disabilities. When ToggleKeys is turned on, your computer will provide sound cues when the locking keys (CAPS LOCK, NUM LOCK, or SCROLL LOCK) are pressed. A high sound plays when the keys are switched on and a low sound plays when they are switched off.

Open Accessibility Options.

On the Keyboard tab, under ToggleKeys, select the Use ToggleKeys check box.

To turn off ToggleKeys, clear the Use ToggleKeys check box.

Notes

To open Accessibility Options, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Accessibility Options.

Be Well,

Dan

Thanks Dan, I've done that, and it looks like it's what I needed, not being a touch typist.

I usually put a lot of effort into hunting down Mr Microsoft's idiot warning noises and eliminating them, so it makes a change.

I really don't know why anyone gives a hoot if its in caps or not. Should be easier for those of you who use the vision impared settings on the computer to read. Maybe we should change this to a microsoft chat room.

Thanks for the limited feedback to the actual query.

Scott

I really don't know why anyone gives a hoot if its in caps or not. Should be easier for those of you who use the vision impared settings on the computer to read. Maybe we should change this to a microsoft chat room.

Thanks for the limited feedback to the actual query.

Scott

Unfortunately, Capitals are harder to read than normal case and most people online take them to mean SHOUTING - if you see what I mean.

I think you have had very good advice from Chris Timson above and I don't have anything more to add than that - hence I didn't post.

all the best with your concertina choice(s)

Peter

Guest Old Leaky

Yes, keyboard etiquette is all very well but WHAT ABOUT THE ORIGINAL B****Y POST ABOUT DIPPER CONCERTINAS? AAAAAARGH!!! Thread drift will be the death of us ALL yet...

I think the point of my initial post has been missed to some extent.

My Jeffries is in good condition and plays very well, mind you I need to get a new set of bellows as the ones on it now are getting leaky and beyond patching up. I have had the action worked on since i picked it up and it plays very well but like I said before, these things are mechanical and must suffer some wear over the years. Surely the action must suffer some wear over the years and at some point must become loose and not function as well as it should.

Has anyone had to do any work on the action and replace any of it in the past?

What i was getting at was that these things must wear out at some time, it happens to the best of everything.

I was also trying to get an indication of the prices etc for Dipper concertinas. Are they comparable to Suttner or more expensive?

I am thinking more about the future than the present. Like I have said, the jeffires I currently play is very nice and I would not part with it without a very good reason. However I hav heard that the better makers of today are comparable (I have read some that say Dipper is better than Jeffries) and I am thinking more about the future problems that could arise from playing an instrument that s well over 100 years old. They are great to play but it would be frustrating to have them in the workshop a lot of the time.

I waited eight years for my County Clare and paid $3600 if I remember correctly but it was worth every dime and the wait. I've been playing since 1988 and owned Jeffries and Lachanals and neither can compare to my Dipper. I have not seen the newer makes but hope to at the Sqeeze In this September so I can't comment on those. I visited Collin and Rosely several times during the wait and it was a real treat. He is the master as far as I am concerned but you will have to be very patient. Cheers, JL

PS. Thanks to Dan. I too hate the caps key.

I was also trying to get an indication of the prices etc for Dipper concertinas. Are they comparable to Suttner or more expensive?

No, I'm sorry, we can't answer these sorts of questions on behalf of the makers. The world and the market changes. I'm afraid that you're just going to have to bite the bullet and make those long distance phone calls.

However I have heard that the better makers of today are comparable (I have read some that say Dipper is better than Jeffries) and I am thinking more about the future problems that could arise from playing an instrument that s well over 100 years old. They are great to play but it would be frustrating to have them in the workshop a lot of the time.

Again you just can't make generalisations. Jeffries made many more concertinas than the Dippers; some of them are no more than OK, but some of them represent the pinnacle of the concertina makers craft. And I say again, they should be expected with no more than reasonable maintenance to last several centuries.

The Dippers make marvellous concertinas. So did Jeffries. I am not going to be drawn on comparisons beyond that.

Chris

Eight years is a hack of a wait. A lot can happen in that sort of time.

Does anyone have an idea of Dippers current prices?

I am more than happy with the instrument that I have but was thinking more along the lines of long term maintenance on an old insturment.

Scott

I am more than happy with the instrument that I have but was thinking more along the lines of long term maintenance on an old insturment.

Scott

Scott

A well built concertina is almost infinitely repairable. Any parts that wear or deteriorate can be repaired. The most valuable parts are the reeds. If all the other parts were to be to be worn or damaged beyond use there are people who will build a new concertina round an old set of reeds.

Just play your Jeffries and enjoy it. It may last longer than you!

I miss driving my old sports cars. I owned several Triumph TR 6 and MGBs over the last 30 years, but trouble finding original or acceptable OEM parts led me to appreciate newer vehicles. I drive German made autos now, and love the responsive performance, and reliability. I need a car that I can jump in and drive anywhere, at almost any time. Although I have my eyes on a 1971 TR6 completely restored, I would buy one to drive on the weekends, and short trips and enjoy it for what it is. A beautiful antique an a reasonable investment. I love my new German made concertina for the same reasons, I can take it anywhere musically. Love the antique concertinas, but look forward to getting my second Suttner. Suttner has all information posted on models and construction, as well as wait times and prices. Just my two, or three cents worth.