Forums Upgraded

It's right there in the Member's Profile too... just click the "Options" drop-down near the top left (under the photo). Tabs on top are a quick way to see most recent activity without having to dig deeper.

OK, I see that, but only because you told me so. That is sooo user-unfriendly! (In my opinion, anyway.)

I think that at the very least, the tab headings should read "Most Recent Posts" and "Most Recent Topics". (On my screen, there appears to be enough room.) Either that or a flashing neon sign that says, "For Topic and Post histories, don't look in the obviously-labeled places. Instead, try the various buttons with names suggesting other purposes. One of them hides links to the topic and post histories." :D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm finding I have to log into the forum every time I use it from my home computer. I was ready to accept that I had to do it when the new software was introduced, and again when I reset my cache, but it just happened again, and nothing has changed since I was here earlier.

I am certain that the "remember me" box was checked.

Are others having the same problem?

I appear to be having a variation of this problem. When I log onto Concertina.net, I am automatically accepted as a member on the home page, as before, but as soon as I click on a topic to view it, I now become a guest and have to register to view more posts. Any ideas why? I am a Windows XP and AOL user.

Chris

It's right there in the Member's Profile too... just click the "Options" drop-down near the top left (under the photo). Tabs on top are a quick way to see most recent activity without having to dig deeper.

Paul

Paul

Thanks. Missed the options menu too. I guess it's enough of an upgrade to have to learn from scratch where everything is rather than build on some previous knowledge. :wacko:

I'll have to do a lot more exploring rather than a little look see.

Leo

Edited by Leo

Now I'm finding I have to log into the forum every time I use it from my home computer. I was ready to accept that I had to do it when the new software was introduced, and again when I reset my cache, but it just happened again, and nothing has changed since I was here earlier.

I appear to be having a variation of this problem. When I log onto Concertina.net, I am automatically accepted as a member on the home page, as before, but as soon as I click on a topic to view it, I now become a guest and have to register to view more posts. Any ideas why? I am a Windows XP and AOL user.

Chris

My problem seems to have ironed itself out. Since resetting my cache and deleting my cookies, I have had to log in only once or twice, and the last three or four times I came to the forum I did not have to.

(Edited for typo)

Edited by David Barnert

My problem seems to have ironed itself out. Since resetting my cache and deleting my cookies, I have had to log in only once or twice, and the last three or four times I came to the forum I did not have to.

David, Paul had already said:

Ah, you're using AOL... that's the problem. I'll enable a setting that should help you.

I suspect he's now done that, and that's what has solved your problem. :)

David, Paul had already said:

Ah, you're using AOL... that's the problem. I'll enable a setting that should help you.

I suspect he's now done that, and that's what has solved your problem. :)

Yes, I saw that, but the problem didn't resolve until some time later. Paul's statement, set in the future, allows for the possibility that he didn't take the action for some hours, but if he did it just after writing it, something else might account for the delayed effect.

Some other observations on the new interface: The "Fast Reply" button is not always there at the bottom of a thread, next to the "Add Reply" button like it used to be. It wasn't there in this thread, but I see it in some other threads.

Also, below the window where I'm typing this is a window with a spinning "wait" icon and the words "Initializing Attachments..." in big black letters. This has been the case with every post I've typed since the upgrade. As there is no interface here to add a photo or other attachment, I suppose this is where it should go, but I have been looking at that message for a long time, now, and there is no indication that the end is near.

The "Fast Reply" button is not always there at the bottom of a thread, next to the "Add Reply" button like it used to be. It wasn't there in this thread, but I see it in some other threads.

I hadn't noticed that, but I also see a difference. And I don't know whether it means anything, but of the six threads currently under my "View New Posts", only this one lacks the "Fast Reply" button.

Also, below the window where I'm typing this is a window with a spinning "wait" icon and the words "Initializing Attachments..." in big black letters. This has been the case with every post I've typed since the upgrade. As there is no interface here to add a photo or other attachment, I suppose this is where it should go, but I have been looking at that message for a long time, now, and there is no indication that the end is near.

Your analysis sounds right. I don't get the spinning icon, but I do get an interface for adding and managing attachments.

Chris

Chris, try this: Log in (if you have to), scroll down the the main page of the forum and find "delete cookies set by this board" below the last section. Click it, log out and then log in again; with any luck that should sort it out - well it does on most Invision BBs. :)

Maybe it's just me but pictures don't seem to appear inline in posts anymore. They show up as links which isn't nearly as nice. Worse, if I click on the picture link, I get a permissions error and am forced to log in in order to view the picture. Once I've logged in, the pictures start appearing inline again.

Is this a changed default setting, that guests are not allowed to view pictures?

They were appearing inline as always (and they still do), but only if you're logged in. Correct, guests didn't have rights to images. I turned this back on for now, so guests have image access again.

Thanks for the feedback.

Paul

Maybe it's just me but pictures don't seem to appear inline in posts anymore. They show up as links which isn't nearly as nice. Worse, if I click on the picture link, I get a permissions error and am forced to log in in order to view the picture. Once I've logged in, the pictures start appearing inline again.

Is this a changed default setting, that guests are not allowed to view pictures?

They were appearing inline as always (and they still do), but only if you're logged in. Correct, guests didn't have rights to images. I turned this back on for now, so guests have image access again.

At the moment I don't seem to be getting attachments. Instead, I see text like the following (put in code tags, just in case it would otherwise work for you):

[attachment=2958:Obies_boys.wmv]

Paul

FWIW, it's still happening. About 2/3 of the times I visit the forum I have to reenter my login information, despite tossing my cookies several times.

FWIW, it's still happening. About 2/3 of the times I visit the forum I have to reenter my login information, despite tossing my cookies several times.

FWIW, yesterday I also had to log in again, though I never bother logging out. But so far it's only happened the once, and that was after I'd been absent for a week. I don't use either AOL or a Mac.

FWIW, yesterday I also had to log in again, though I never bother logging out. But so far it's only happened the once, and that was after I'd been absent for a week. I don't use either AOL or a Mac.

Right, one of the new security systems is set to expire old sessions/logins after about a week of inactivity. These new limits are here to help protect against session hijacking.

Paul

Right, one of the new security systems is set to expire old sessions/logins after about a week of inactivity. These new limits are here to help protect against session hijacking.

Paul

Paul

Sounds like a good idea. It seems to happen approximately every other day; activity or not. Keep up the good work and efforts, it's appreciated.

Thanks

Leo

Thanks for your efforts, Paul (and I'm really not complaining). But it's happening pretty much every day (twice today). But not every time I check in (which can be several times in a day).

Thanks for your efforts, Paul (and I'm really not complaining). But it's happening pretty much every day (twice today). But not every time I check in (which can be several times in a day).

You mean it's asking you to sign in again? Is it remembering your name and just asking for your password, or is it not remembering your login name either? Let me know and I'll try to find out the reason...

Thanks,

Paul