Theme Of The Month For November, 2014: Something Irish

Jim Besser

Some very nice music on this theme. I especially like very beautiful slow airs played this month.

Merci beaucoup Thomas... ;)

It makes me want to learn and play this slow air "annaghdown pier" which I heard from Mairtin O'Connor, one of my favourite irish accordion player. It was a long time ago and I recorded him during a concert with an old "minidisc".. I do not know a lot about this tune, perhaps it is a composition from Mairtin O'Connor himself.. If someone knows...

Lovely calm playing!

Best wishes - Wolf

Edited by blue eyed sailor

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's the Clare Polka, or possibly the West Clare Polka.

The tune is associated with the playing of whistleplayer Joe Bane and fiddleplayer Bill Malley. The McNamaras (Mary and Andrew) play it a lot. There isn't really a name for it but if you want to go the 'Clare' route it would be East Clare.

Irish tunes being more or less my comfort zone, I thought I'd take advantage of the November theme one more time before the American Thanksgiving holiday preempts any further productivity this month.

Here's a favorite O'Carolan tune of mine, and one that doesn't get played as often--in this neighborhood, anyway--as some of the others. I like the way it sits on the concertina, and it's also a nice candidate for some Stupid Overdubbing Tricks.

http://youtu.be/Jh1VhTc8n7A

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Irish tunes being more or less my comfort zone, I thought I'd take advantage of the November theme one more time before the American Thanksgiving holiday preempts any further productivity this month.

Here's a favorite O'Carolan tune of mine, and one that doesn't get played as often--in this neighborhood, anyway--as some of the others. I like the way it sits on the concertina, and it's also a nice candidate for some Stupid Overdubbing Tricks.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Another brilliant vid. Love the tasteful over dub.

Here's my effort. A humble polka.

Was trying to go for The Rights of Man, but I'm choking on the b part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnm2m5fOOF8&feature=youtu.be

Edited by maki