My New Edgley D/g

It's one of his sessioneers which is his top model. I got it a few weeks back and I wanted to wait till I had got it figured out and played it a while before posting an opinion so that I would have something at least a little interesting to say. Before he sent it, Frank told me that he was very pleased with it. He let some other folks look at it and play it a bit and he told me that they also agreed that it was a really good one. (I put that in this post because I am a beginner and I wanted to back up my opinion with some comments I knew of from experienced players). I also play whistle, low whistle, and Uilleann Pipes. (I'm a beginner on UPs too) But, as a beginner, I am having a very easy time with this concertina. I know a good instrument when I am playing on one. It has a great sound and the action is very quiet and responsive. Frank describes it as litning fast action and whisper quiet bellows. It's true.

It is beautiful to look at. You can tell that it is made with real precision down to the last detail. It's cherry wood with stainless steel ends and black leather straps and black delrin buttons. It has a 7-fold bellows.

The first time I played it I had NO idea what the heck I was doing. I thought "oh crap, what have I gotten into?" It was pretty intimidating. but as I worked around with it, and figured out how the notes are arranged, I gained more confidence. Then on I guess the 5th go at it or so, I finally let her rip, and I was shocked at the crisp yet mellow sound that came out when I heard it at full volume the first time. The notes (and I mean this in a good way) absolutely bark out of it when you want them to. The deeper tones are rich and warm. The higher ones are crisp and clean. The whole thing is beautifully balanced with regard to both volume and sound quality and it's very much in tune with itself. I don't know how important those factors are to Concertina players in general, but those are the issues that come up when you're talking Uilleann Pipes. I assume it's the same.

Frank Edgley is a real gentleman and was a real pleasure to deal with. He helped me decide what key to get. I wanted a lower sounding one because I song baritone and I got this to be my sing-along instrument. Can you imagine a singing piper? :blink: I'm sure somebody's done it, and I certainly don't want to insult anyone if they do, but the idea kind of creeps me out for some reason. When I feel like I can put up a tune that doesn't embarass me to share in public, I will post one so y'all can hear it.

Now I just have to change my avatar. B)

All the best,

Paul L

Me too! I now have an A/E Edgley.

Mine just arrived the other day...well...no...actually it arrived about a month and a half ago back in October. It just seems like it arrived recently because time flies when...you know...and it does not seem like I have had it long enough.

My Edgley is the most comfortable and best one I have ever played. The buttons are the perfect size, placement, shape, and material and the action is amazing! It can be nice and LOUD when I want, so loud that I was playing around on it for a few days before I noticed that it actually has a grill cloth. How does he do that!?

I like it even better than Connie Dugan's Carrol (which costs twice as much) that I played a week ago.

I strongly recommend an Edgley to anyone interested a 30-key Anglo.

Paul, I'm glad you're having such a great time with that concertina! And you might need to update your avatar anyway, even if you keep it as pipes, since they're no longer in the same state.

(For those who don't understand that last comment, the picture in his avatar was taken by the pipe maker when the set was still just a bunch of unassembled pieces. Paul has the completed pipes now. Still, the picture is pretty cool....)

:)

Steven

Ah well, Steven, I am very glad that you went on to explain your statement. I thought you meant the pipes were not in the same state because he sold them and they were no longer in oh say Iowa, but were now in Wyoming. :o :P

I had called my maker, Andreas Rogge, to get an update on my pipes. It had been over 3 years since I ordered them. One of his workers, Jens said that he remembered seeing a box with my name on it full of cocobolo and gleaming silver. I was very excited by this news, I tell ya. He emailed me a couple of pictures of all the bits and pieces. I never realized how many pieces there are in a set of pipes. It's amazing actually. If anyone would like to see the full-size picture I'd be gald to email it to you or if someone wants to host it on the site here I'll send it.

Best,

Paul