Its There A Difference?

The only difficulty is that the Anglo is heavily biased towards the two home keys (C/G or G/D, or whatever) and the tune you are copying may be written in a different key. This means that you will not always be able to play along with the original recording. You will be playing the same tune, but in a different key.

Not a big problem, if you have a computer.

If you work with written music -- whether staff notation or ABC, -- there are plenty of computer-based tools these days for transposing it into more "comfortable" keys.

you know the name of those tools?

Sir Locust - Satie's "Gymnopedie No. 1"??? I'm not sure that would be playable on a 30+ button Anglo! But kudos to you for being ambitious.

Here's a version on concertina, but played on a one-of-kind custom duet (that only looks like an Anglo): https://youtu.be/vbJqi6K3B-0.

Gary

Edited by gcoover

If you work with written music -- whether staff notation or ABC, -- there are plenty of computer-based tools these days for transposing it into more "comfortable" keys. There are also several which can independently vary both the pitch and speed to make it possible to play along with an audio file (which you can have recorded from a CD, among other possibilities) even if the original key isn't compatible with your instrument or the original speed isn't compatible with your skill level.

I'm currently using MuseScore. I haven' got to grips with Audacity yet

I'm converting ABC files (and sometimes MIDI files) to MP3 files using MuseScore and the concertina font mentioned here

recently. I'm also in some cases transposing the key and importing the resultant score into my concertina notes. I carry the

notes and MP3 files around with me on my tablet.

I'm still working out the 'best' way to do all this, and getting to grips with MuseScore has been a bit of a struggle, but so far,

it's working well, and is proving a useful tool as I learn to play the the concertina. I can certainly play along (a little) with

some of these files.

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693

Sir Locust - Satie's "Gymnopedie No. 1"??? I'm not sure that would be playable on a 30+ button Anglo! But kudos to you for being ambitious.

Here's a version on concertina, but played on a one-of-kind custom duet (that only looks like an Anglo): https://youtu.be/vbJqi6K3B-0.

Gary

It's possible on 30-key anglo, with a lot of cross-row work, transposition up a fourth if on a C/G (I always hesitate to talk in terms of "key signatures" where Satie is concerned as his use of tonality is very ambiguous), and a bit of imagination where the accompaniment is concerned to imply those lovely major 7th chords where they can't be played in full.