Using Audacity:

JimLucas

In relation to the new tune that Morgana submitted for Recorded Tunes Link Page, there was a problem with download speed.

One thing I did, was downloading the file and reducing the bit-rate from 256 to 32 kbps. As a result the file size was reduced from 2858kb to 358kb. After uploading the reduced file, the download time was sharply reduced.

As Morgana asked how I did it, I made a small demo to show her. For those of you who would like to see it, follow this link.

Just press SHIFT+DELETE for permanent deletion. The response will be slightly different for each Windows version, but its usually a 'Do you really want to delete..' type dialogue.

Well, I did that, and it worked, but...

After using that procedure to delete about 150 Mb of files at once, every time I clicked on any file or directory in Windows Explorer, it took many seconds (sometimes half a minute or more) to return control to me. I finally shut down the machine and restarted, and then it was quick, again.

This is a problem in Win98 and one I suffer from too!

I still couldn't find documentation of SHIFT+DELETE ....

Right now I'm using Win98, and I also have available NT4.

In Win98, "keyboard shortcuts - general" lists various keys and key combinations that have special functions.

In Win98SE help its under keyboard shortcuts - desktop, but don't ask me why!

• 2 months later...

:) Hey! I'm kind of pleased at the moment, since I managed to figure out how to record and then mix two tracks -- using my Sony IC recorder and then AUDACITY.

I did look at your demo before, Henk, about using Audacity, but things just weren't ready to sink in, yet, I guess. NOW when I look at it -- now that I've already mixed two tracks that just happened to align together 'okay' enough (by luck), I can see the value of using Audacity.

I wasn't really trying to figure this out.

I have a bass bansuri flute that I haven't really played much, but I happened to pick it up tonight and give it a whirl. The low note, though, a low A, is sooooo hard to get clearly every time, so I put that flute away and grabbed my bamboo flute in F, which is WAY easier to play.

My little voice recorder makes a separate track with every new recording, and there's a counter. So, suddenly I realized I could try to time two (or more...) tracks to be aligned and then mix them together, maybe.

So, I mixed my concertina and my bamboo flute, using a bit of simple 'noodling' in the key of F, basically a I-IV-V progression (F, Bb, C).

This is sooooo cooool.... :ph34r: :)

So, I'm glad I kept Audacity on my computer, since now I finally see that I can actually do something with it!!! I'll try aligning things according to your demo, Henk.

I can't wait to try some other instruments, too....

If you want to hear my recording, it's at:http://geocities.com/geranimom/audioscraps...ambooFluteF.mp3

(about 616 KB)

EDIT ADDED:

...Back to say, I made another mix, this time using the Audacity tools. It's longer than the other file, since I was able to fix more parts! That's at:

http://geocities.com/geranimom/audioscraps...uteAndECMix.mp3

and that one's about 932 KB.

Edited by bellowbelle

This is sooooo cooool.... :ph34r:  :) 

So, I'm glad I kept Audacity on my computer, since now I finally see that I can actually do something with it!!!  I'll try aligning things according to your demo, Henk. 

I can't wait to try some other instruments, too....

Wendy

I'm really glad that you "took this hurdle" and discovered the possibilities of mixing. Yes.. it is exciting!!!

You made already e great mix.

Keep on squeezing & mixing :) :) :)

Henk