Classical/art Songs To Learn?

bellowbelle

Here's a site with some links including one for Der Leiermann, The Organ-Grinder, by Schubert.

If your computer is up to it, I think that you can go ahead and play any of these without any other special download.

Unfortunately, no. And I'm getting weary of having to download yet another piece of custom software for each and every music site I access, whether it's to play the music, or just to view it.

So I'm not going to bother. :(

... contemporary and pop-type stuff... -- stuff that, now, I don't think I could stand to bother with!

:o Wait...I take that back!!

(What was I thinking?)

Just this morning, while browsing through a stack of old record albums looking for something, I realized that I have memorized soooo many 'pop/folk' songs (i.e., some done by Bonnie Rait, Tom Waits, Bruce Cockburn, and others) that it'd really be sad to just dump them. The lyrics and chords are still ingrained in my head.

So, though I'd originally worked these out for guitar, I'll be transferring some of them over to concertina!

And, in my grand notebooks, they'll be tossed right in with the Schubert and Brahms and Schumann and all that. Why not...I can be that eclectic, cause I'm.....WEIRD!!!! :lol:

So....that's nice.

I guess when I said that I wouldn't even bother with them now, I was thinking more of the ones that -- 1) I'd learned because someone else liked them and told me to learn them, and 2) I'd worked out for guitar but that just won't translate well to the English concertina. (Quite a few will, though, I think.)

Hi wendy ,I'm so glad you posted the question.Hold your hand up when you want me to stop. !!

I like poetry if it's read to me or if it's set to music.....if I read it to myself , it doesn't work for me.

So I actively look for poems set to music. If the tunes are strong with a great poem AND there's music available AND I can sing it.......man, that's as good as it gets .i know some people hate poems set to music.

My problem is that my playing is not as good as it needs to be yet.But I practise.

So..here's some stuff

1......Linden Lea ** Words W. Barnes Music R. Vaughn Williams

Drop dead fantastic Pub Boosey & Hawkes

2.....Down by the Sally Gardens ** Words YB Yeats Music Herbert Hughes

All time great Pub Boosey and Hawkes

3......Songs of travel ** Song Cycle poems R.L Stevenson

Music Vaughan Williams

Fabulous ......9 songs ( My favourites , Wither must I wander & The Vagabond )

Pub B & H

4.....British Folk Songs Settings by Beethoven for Piano Trio ( violin, cell ,piano)

He set 70 + and they are great ; the music is easily available for a set of 12...................Pub C.F. Peters, Frankfurt

5....... Where'er You Walk ** Handel

6.........Ombra mai fu (also called the Largo) ** Handel

Pub G.Schmirer ( Hal leonard)

7.......Stepen Foster Song Book

Full of great stuff and some real dreck

Pub......Dover publicationsInc N. York

8....One Hundred English Folk Songs

Ed Cecil Sharp...... the piano accompaniment is not really folky ...more arty !

Pub..As above.

These publiactions should be easy to get , i've bought them in good quality music stores.

All of these are for piano so you have to pick out parts for the concertina.

Regs Robin

Maybe you can help me.....I've been ploughing through the Frank Butler Tutor and almost at the end is a lovely setting of Plaisr D'Amour for English concertina.....but there is a second part he doesn't use . have you seen it ?

**..........I can easily send you these for you to look at .Email me off line. R

(Quoting Robin's post)

> So I actively look for poems set to music...

Yes, I do like poetry set to music, and it's often more entwined with the music than are lyrics that are written separately and in a way just 'use' the music as a vehicle.

So, I've said I like 'sung poetry,' though I guess there was a Sung Dynasty, with poetry, so....shall say I like 'poetry set to music.' ;)

> My problem is that my playing is not as good as it needs to be yet.But I practise.

Join the club, as they say! I feel like I am still essentially learning chord positions on my concertina. It's not like learning to sing/play using some other instrument that is more like a piano keyboard. I am still learning a lot of basics about my English concertina, even while playing some songs that are a bit complicated.

>Maybe you can help me.....I've been ploughing through the Frank Butler Tutor and almost at the end is a lovely setting of Plaisr D'Amour for English concertina.....but there is a second part he doesn't use . have you seen it ?

I'm not familiar at all with that Tutor, nor any parts at all of Plaisir D'Amour for EC...shall keep it in mind, though, in case I find it. You never know...in our stacks of old papers here, there could be a copy somewhere!

>**..........I can easily send you these for you to look at .Email me off line. R

Sure, thanks, I'll probably get back to you...must hurry and get going now, my morning has slipped away from me again and I'll have to return to e-mail and the like later on tonight.

:) Ivan, so glad you posted links to Schubertline.com. I found such great things there that I got a subscription and will devote a whole new notebook/binder to the printouts from the site!

I don't sight-read music really well, but the accompaniments as given in the arrangements for voice at Schubertline, with a little extra effort, I can figure out easily enough.

So many will work well on the concertina.

Oh...and, I found 'The Lost Chord!' :D

....almost at the end is a lovely setting of Plaisr D'Amour for English concertina.....but there is a second part he doesn't use . have you seen it ?

Robin, go to the van Basco midi search engine at:

http://www.vanbasco.com/midisearch.html

Enter "Plaisir d'Amour". You should find about 7 midi renditions. Find one you like, even if it's got a lot of extraneous parts. If you don't have software for printing out the notation or making an abc, email me and I'll do it for you.

edited to add: Try to get past the awful voices many midi arrangers use. I usually set these to free-reed and nylon string, or whatever, and they can sound pretty good.

and, later,

Wow, some of these are bad. I'd start from the last of the 7 and work forward if I were you.

Also look here and here to see if this is what you want.

Edited by Stephen Mills

Thanks Stephen....some of these are pretty wild , aren't they ! I particularly liked Handel's Largo apparently played on a circus organ !!

There was one I found I really liked.Can I down-load the software I need to convert it into notation? Or do i need to buy it? There are a lot of things I'd like to do .

Robin

I use TablEdit, which can import a midi or abc file (or its native file type .tef) and convert to sheet music or a variety of tablatures and export midi or abc files. It cost me $55 a few years ago. The demo saves only 8 measures and the print facility is made annoying until you register. It has dramatically altered my music, as I download midis by the score (pun not intended), throw away the parts I don't want and fashion the rest for guitar or concertina. I can then print it or play along with the notes on the monitor at the speed and pitch I want. It's easily found on the web by searching on "TablEdit".

Look though, at a similar product at the Hetzler's Fakebook site. The software is called MidiNotate. I can't personally vouch for it, but it's cheaper and the 30-day trial version is fully functional. It doesn't do .abc's so far as I can tell. [edited comment: I see now this has gone up in price.]

I checked the Butler book when I got home. The first link I gave you is of course melody only, while the Butler book has an arrangement. The second link has too complex an arrangement. I often find with the software that there are a lot of parts in the midis, but 1 accompaniment can be chosen and the rest discarded, or 1 can be altered a bit to suit the task. It's probably unlikely we'll stumble across one with the same accompaniment as Butler provides for the first part.

Is this where I take a cheap shot at Canada or its emigrees or do I have to move to that other thread? Fortunately, I'm extremely fond of Canada, so never mind. Still, a whole thread dedicated to cheap shots might be fun....

Edited by Stephen Mills

...a whole thread dedicated to cheap shots might be fun....
It might be considered unAmerican, but I've always preferred cheap pints. ;)
Only when you're buying, I hear. (I'm really warming up to this cheap shot motif.)

Thinking to be a real cheap hot shot, eh? :)

What's that verse from "Martin Said To His Man"?

I saw Stephen buy a round.

.. (Fie, man, fie!)

I saw Stephen buy a round.

.. (Who's the fool, now?)

I saw Stephen buy a round;

Saw Jim Lucas turn it down.

.. (Thou has well drunken, man!

.... Who's the fool, now?)

............. :D

• 2 weeks later...

A Classical peice I would recommend to play on the concertina is in fact the only

the only classical composition written for the Hurdy Gurdy and Cello it is

Suite No2 by the 18th Century French composer Michel Corrette.The first time I heard it I wanted to play it and is on the Rosbif Bourree A Six record it is not long and a fun composition to play.

Al

Edited to say sorry I missed the songs bit,there are no words to this, but you could drone along.

Edited by Alan Day

This is straying from the original point of the thread, as it's not to do with songs as such, but it might be of interest - I've just invested in the Dover edition of the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book (early English keyboard music) split across two very hefty volumes for the less-than-hefty sum of £35. The majority of the pieces are variations on dance tunes of the time and I've already found a few that I think will work nicely on anglo or duet, although they'll probably need quite a bit of tinkering to get them to fit.

...it's not to do with songs as such...

Well, at least a few of the pieces were also popular songs, e.g., "Jhon come kisse me now" and "Martin sayd to his Man".

...the Dover edition of the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book ... two very hefty volumes for the less-than-hefty sum of £35.

Hmm. I paid $3.95 for each of my two volumes (about £4.50 total at today's exchange rate). I guess that was a few years back. I'd better look in the mirror and see if there are any non-grey hairs. :unsure:

it is

Suite No2 by the 18th Century French composer Michel Corrette.The first time I heard it I wanted to play it and is on the Rosbif Bourree A Six record ....

...Now added to my 'list' for instrumental pieces to find.

It doesn't show up so far online, not at classicalarchives.com, etc., but it's on my list!

Though I like singable stuff, I will yet have a huge binder for instrumental songs/arrangements, too!

• 1 month later...

What a delightful topic Wendy! I enjoyed reading all the suggestions. It really was thought provoking. You have enough to last a lifetime.

I would mention for consideration Haydn's Scottish and Welsh folk song arrangements. They are beautiful. The Welsh songs are scored for harp and would translate quickly to an English. The Scottish collections are mostly vocal line, violin, viola and cello with figured bass (too daunting for me other than to sing them) but I have a group from this collection with the klavier part realized. Should you wish, I could post copies to you.

Beethoven also put his pen to a collection of Scottish folk songs.

I recently paticipated in a program of American Vocal Music. By the luck of the draw I got Foster. Most of my 'ligit singing colleagues know I do this 'squeeze box thing' but had never seen me at it. After much soul searching and screwing up of courage, I showed up to rehearsal with my Tina in had. "Mark, are you feeling well?" and "What are you planning to do with that?" They were good sports and at the performance the audience was delighted (English Concertina and Piano...a great combination). They sang along on all the choruses. One older lady told me afterward that her grandmother had played the concertina (I was deeply moved by the look in her eyes). Only bit of pain was a very good pianist and friend in attendence who thought he was giving me a great compliment by saying "You almost make that thing sound like a legitimate instrument." Oh well.

You have enough to last a lifetime.

:blink: ...And that is sooooo true! I went kind of copy-crazy at Schubertline.com. I am going to have to be reincarnated a few times, I think, before I will master everything I've added to my binder full of scores. :P

Well, some people buy scratch tickets at the corner store. I don't; I print out stuff and add it to my collections.

Thanks for the suggestions and offer to post copies. I'll keep both in mind. I need to catch up with myself, though, before I add much more....so, I'll wait.

At the time, I don't sing with any particular group, not even at a church or whatever. I've often wanted to join a community choir (there are actually quite a few available), but, well, honestly, my reluctance comes down to simply not wanting to HAVE TO go out in the snow and ice and whatever when I don't feel like it, just to keep a commitment to the group.

It seems that the few times in past years when I've gotten whatever's 'going around' under the name of 'the flu,' I just don't bounce back from it. I love staying in the 'recovered' state....don't want to go out and get the next community thing...hate even mentioning this subject, sorry!

Hmm...as for the piano player you mention....thank goodness he plays a piano and not a concertina, he needs the extra weight, heheh!

We concertina players are more grounded in reality, maybe? ;)