Classical/art Songs To Learn?

bellowbelle

I'm happily working away on learning to sing and play (on my concertina, of course) some songs by some of the great classical composers. I just happen to really like them. (I have had a little bit of professional/classical vocal training years ago, but that really has nothing to do with anything and I don't sound operatic, nor do I try to!)

I am a bit of a self-styler and country bumpkin, really, so I don't even know a lot about which works are typical, or standards, or famous, or whatever. I'm wondering if anyone can make suggestions about what 'classical' (and singable) pieces would typically be included in a decent repertoire (or, as I more often put it, 'stash'), per various tunesmiths/lyricists. (Actually, some of the songs are more often considered to be folk songs.)

I'm not too worried about what 'works' on concertina, because it seems that there's always a way to make the song 'work.' Most of them, I'll express using simple (yet quite colorful!) chord work. I've found that a lot of the meloldies in books for singers have the most beautiful piano accompaniment with really gorgeous chords.

One song, so far, I have pretty much played using the piano arrangement as given -- 'Below In The Valley,' by Brahms. (I've adjusted it slightly, but, I wouldn't call it my own, I'd still credit the arranger.) From now on, though, I think I'll just figure out melody and chords and do all my own arranging from there on.

Presently, I'm working on 'The Lotus Flower' by Schumann (...potentially has the most incredibly beautiful counterpoint....if I ever get it right!).

Okay, so there's also Brahms' Lullabye -- got that one, and with my own version of lyrics, too (no, they're not nasty, sorry, heheh...).

So...what else?

I must say, when I was taking voice lessons back in....1980 or whatever, during my short experience with college life, I never dreamed I would actually really like classical songs and want to sing them, and using my 'real' voice (which is high, a soprano). I laugh to think back on how I felt during the lessons. The last thing I was working on, before quitting school (which was unavoidable), was actually a Scottish folk song, 'Bonny At Morn.' (Just found it here) It seemed so far removed from me...I just couldn't 'get' it. I was much more into contemporary and pop-type stuff (some of it church-related, kinda folksy) -- stuff that, now, I don't think I could stand to bother with! Back then, even daring to sing with my high voice was a new thing. It was the classical voice teacher I had who pointed out that I 'should' use my high voice.

In spite of my teacher's words of encouragement, I wasn't able to do much in the way of singing as time went on, partly due to generally unhappy times and some health issues. And, these days, I really only have myself to please....and, my cats, dogs, etc.. But, not only do I like the sound of the 'art' songs I find, they are also strangely therapeutic, quiescent, meditative, pleasantly subjective, whatever.

So, gimmie some more of 'em. :) ('Please.')

I really only want to sing in English, since it's the only language I understand. HOWEVER...

...ah, the big 'however.' However, I think that I'll probably add in a few songs done in their native languages.

This will partly be to save myself from taking a night or online course in a foreign language (since I don't want to). My daughter (a language/linguistics major) wants me to learn Spanish or something that she's learning and speaks, but I just don't feel like it. (We're backwards -- it's supposed to be the parent that has to encourage the kid!)

I figure if I learn one or two songs per native language, I'll be okay!

I did just find some interesting software online at artsconverge.com. I downloaded it and tried it out. Could be interesting...but I hope they'll add to their available files.

"Im wunderschönen Monat Mai" (loosely translated as "In the Merry, Merry Month of May" :P ) from Schumann's Dichterliebe, Op. 48 might be an interesting one to try on the English Concertina because the accompaniment is mostly a single voice. It's been a favorite of mine since I studied it in college. Never occurred to me to try it on the Concertina, however.

I'm happily working away on learning to sing and play (on my concertina, of course) some songs by some of the great classical composers.

Maybe you'd like Brahms' Liebeslieder Walzer (Love-Song Waltzes)?

I have a book which in a sense is the opposite of what you say you're looking for:

Folk Songs in Settings by Master Composers, by Herbert Haufrecht

(Funk & Wagnalls, 1970, Library of Congress Catalog No. 68-21721).

Pieces like:

• "Go From My Window", arr. by Thomas Morley
  • "Sally In Our Alley", arr. by Ludwig van Beethoven
  • "Lilliburlero", arr. by Henry Purcell
  • "Green Grow the Rashes, O", words by Robert Burns, arr. by Josef Haydn
  • "Lord Gregory", arr. by Max Bruch
  • ... etc.

Absolutely one of my favourites (but beware - touched by the success of the first set he later wrote a second set, which aren't a patch on the originals).

But I think they are rather busy to arrange for soloist + concertina, without losing a lot of the original, because they are mostly part songs for 4 singers with piano duet accompaniment.

Schubert is a good starting point, because he wrote lots of simple songs with unpretentious accompaniments, widely available with (inevitably flawed and sentimental) English translations. Of course, not all of them are simple, indeed most are not, so you will have to be selective. You could buy the Peters Edition Schubert Songs Vol 1, which will give you about 80 of the best known, and then leave you with the same problem I have when I get a book like "10,000 Favourite Session Tunes" - which ones are actually the really well known ones? And of those, which ones would be good for concertina? And are they still singable by you when put into a sensible key for playing on a concertina? But probably there are cheaper options available in the US, or "best hits" type books.

You can get them on line too (not necessarily free). You will need to download Sibelius Scorch (free) to see the score on some of these links - it will prompt you.

The Trout (Die Forelle) link is probably the single best known Schubert song. It has quite a fast tripping accompaniment, which I can imagine might be rather tricky to recreate on a concertina, (it's rather tricky on the piano) though if you have to play it on a concertina an English would be best. The original key is Db, so you will be transposing that one to C, if it hasn't already been done for you.

Absolutely ideal for concertina - in fact probably better than the original piano accompaniment - would be The Hurdy-Gurdy Man (Der Leierman) link from the Winterreise song cycle. It has simple and rather mediaeval drone-like accompaniment of bare fifths. A minor is a suitable key for both concertina and med/high voice.

Another one that comes to mind is In Spring (Im Fruhling) link, (definitely in Schubert's top ten). Like the Schumann mentioned above, it has a good counter melody. So maybe it would be possible to strip away a lot of the dense piano accompaniment, just leaving the counter melody and some bass notes, if that is within your concertina skills. You will be looking for it in a key like G, if you are a true soprano.

I would also have a look at some late renaissance songs, Italian and English. Albums of popular collections are available. The Italian ones have composers like Caldara, Scarlatti, Pergolesi, Gluck, Giordano, Monteverdi, the English ones Dowland, Campion, Morley, Gibbons, Ferrabosco, etc. Again, as these Italian songs are well known, they will have (awful) translations available, but I'd stick to the Italian - it's easier than German.

As these are very old, you will find many of them downloadable off the web (eg Giordano's very well known Caro Mio Ben link). A favourite of mine is Durante's Danza, Danza Fanciulla Gentile link (dance, dance, sweet maiden) (suggest A minor).

This is a transition period from the contrapuntal style (multiple simultaneous melodies) of the mediaeval and early renaissance, to the more recognisably modern Baroque style, so you will find songs with contrapuntal accompaniment which won't be suitable (unfortunately Gibbons' wonderful Silver Swan - comes in a version for 5-part choir, though somehow it is also commonly done on a lute - maybe just take the tune and write your own accompaniment link), to much more suitable chordal style (eg, Dowland's Fine Knacks for Ladies link, or Campion's I Care Not For These Ladies link).

Edited by Ivan Viehoff

Schubert is a good starting point, because he wrote lots of simple songs with unpretentious accompaniments, widely available with (inevitably flawed and sentimental) English translations. Of course, not all of them are simple, indeed most are not, so you will have to be selective. You could buy the Peters Edition Schubert Songs Vol 1, which will give you about 80 of the best known,

I would echo that - Schubert, for my money, is up there with the "holy trinity" of Bach, Mozart and Beethoven, and possibly the greatest melodist. I've not encountered the Peters edition, but the Schirmer editions of the songs are good - and come in hulking great books well over an inch thick; I can't recall how many songs you get per volume, but they're excellent value. If you can get the one that has the complete "Winterreise" cycle in, you're on to a winner.

As far as suitable keys go, it's worth bearing in mind that the better-respected editions (Peters and Schirmer would certainly count as these) will produce both "high voice" and "low voice" versions of the books - and it's only worth having the "high voice" edition if you have at least a solid top G (or even a top A) - i.e. full-blown soprano rather than mezzo.

I'm glad I read this thread, I shall go home and listen to some Schubert tonight :D

I just had a quick look at the songs you are currently singing - Brahms Wiegenlied and Schumann's Lotosblume. As well as being really lovely songs, they look just the right kind of thing for concertina arrangement - simple songs with unpretentious accompaniment. Though the Schumann looks a touch daunting to me as it modulates in to a remote key on the way through.

This gave me some further thoughts of Good Songs that look suitable for concertina arrangement - you can preview them all (and listen) via the links I gave above:

Brahms : Sonntag, Sandmannchen

Schubert : Heidenroslein, Standchen D957, Das Wandern, Das Fischermadchen (and lots more)

Butterworth :Loveliest of trees, When the lad for longing sighs, When I was one and twenty, With rue my heart is laden

Fauré: Apres un reve

Schumann: First four in Dichterliebe (Im wunderschonen.., Aus meinen tranen..., Die rose..., Wenn ich...)

Hi, thanks everyone for all the great input. I've printed this thread for reference, since there's so much good info that I'll want to have in mind.

"Im wunderschönen Monat Mai" (loosely translated as "In the Merry, Merry Month of May"
-- Thanks, Dave, I'll look for that one! I do particularly like Schumann's songs.

Considering how many "native" languages there are in the world, that could keep you going for quite a while.
Uh, heheh, yeah...Jim! :lol: I guess I will just stick to trying to keep up with my daughter. So, that means I need one each in Spanish, Finnish, Swedish, Portugese, and...well, I can't leave out German or Italian, or French. So, that's seven languages besides English.

Sounds great...shall find those too, I hope.

Folk Songs in Settings by Master Composers, by Herbert Haufrecht
Hey, that would be great. Sounds fun. Reminds me of that PDQ Bach guy...maybe you've seen that record album (don't know if it was ever a book). I laughed till I cried, one time, over his 'My Bonnie Lass She Smelleth' parody. ('My bonnie lass she smelleth, she maketh the flowers jealeth'....etc..) (Of course, no offense intended to the great Robert Burns!)

Okay...well, this post is going to have a PART II. I'll be back...unless the 'Flood Control' thing in the forum won't let me... ;)

(Part II)

Ivan, thanks for all the suggestions. As I said in my post before this, I've printed this thread so I have it for reference.

(Quotes here are of various people. Someday I'll figure out how to do multiple quotes correctly in a post...)

Schubert is a good starting point,

I have heard 'The Trout' a few times and always was impressed by it. I was just listening to some midis of it at classicalarchives.com, to refresh my memory. I'll have to see about finding the lyrics. I've enjoyed listening to Schubert, though I don't know if I am 'dramatic' enough for his songs...but, worth trying. I have played/sung 'The Stormy Morning' with my piano accordion before, though I never managed to do a very good job of it. (Maybe on concertina....)

Absolutely ideal for concertina - in fact probably better than the original piano accompaniment - would be The Hurdy-Gurdy Man (Der Leierman)

I just found that yesterday and thought the same! It was one of the files available from artsconverge.com, so with the midi, I could see the words in English AND in German. I thought it was great.

try Sullivan's 'The Lost Chord'.

Okay, Wes....but, that has lyrics, too? :huh: I know that I've heard something called that, but, I don't think it was the same work. Shall be sure to investigate.

Though the Schumann looks a touch daunting to me as it modulates in to a remote key on the way through.

I'm still working this one out on concertina, though I've pretty much got it 'done,' and just need to perfect it and practice it. I did have a little bit of a hard time grasping a few of the chord transitions, but, they actually do all move along just fine and the song is BEAUTIFUL!

And thanks again for the other suggestions, Ivan, and Stuart, and Premo and everyone. This thread is a real keeper! It's nice to get such great responses.

:)

Edited added...

Just to also mention, Ivan, that I'll check the links that you gave me, too!

Edited by bellowbelle

Here's a site with some links including one for Der Leiermann, The Organ-Grinder, by Schubert (mentioned in previous post):

http://www.artsconverge.com/ac/NEW_PLAYER/artsconverge.php

If your computer is up to it, I think that you can go ahead and play any of these without any other special download.

Also, I just bought a copy of the sheet music for this, from the Schubertline site that Ivan gave a link to. Great site!

And, BTW, since I'm here...if anyone has a link for printable sheet music of Se L'aura Spira by Frescobaldi (Renaissance era) -- I'd like to know. I've found some sound clips but that's all. I want this because I already kinda know it (it's another one from voice lessons years ago) and it'll meet my language requirement for Italian! Heheh... :)

EDIT ADDED -- FOUND IT! --

Okay, I've got my music for Se l'aura spira. I used Noteworthy Composer to translate a midi into some good-enough sheet music (good enough to refresh my mind to the tune, etc.)! Thanks anyway!

Edited by bellowbelle

try Sullivan's 'The Lost Chord'.

Okay, Wes....but, that has lyrics, too? :huh:

Seated one day at the organ,

I was weary and ill-at-ease;

And my fingers wandered idly

Over the noisy keys.

I know not what I was playing

Or what I was dreaming then,

But I struck one chord of music

Like the sound of a great Amen.

It flooded the crimson twilight

Like the close of an angel's psalm,

And it lay on my fevered spirit

With a touch of infinite calm.

It quieted pain and sorrow

Like love overcoming strife;

It seemed the harmonious echo

From our discordant life.

It linked all perplexèd meanings

Into one perfect peace,

And trembled away into silence

As if it were loth to cease.

I have sought, but I seek it vainly,

That one lost chord divine,

Which came from the soul of the organ

And entered into mine.

It may be that death's bright angel

Will speak in that chord again;

It may be that only in heav'n

I shall hear that grand Amen.

Ok.

And, besides all these great classical and art songs, I've been re-discovering a few singable country/bluegrass/etc types (in my notebooks) that can be played with interest on the concertina.

For instance, 'The Winding Stream,' one I like that's from the album 'Meeting In The Air' -- songs from The Carter Family (and recorded previous to that, too). (Though, I can't seem to do much of interest with the rest of that album.)

I am not particularly familiar with traditional bluegrass or country, but have learned some of those songs here and there.

I guess, going to Squeeze-In recently helped me realize what I do (and do not) intend to play on my concertina. So, now that I have a bit more direction, I've....got a bit more direction!