Bit Of Bach

Dirge

Thanks for the compliments on this and the Debussy, everyone.

I don't play either of them at the moment! The Debussy only because I have a new favourite instrument and it has a different keyboard. I used to use my thumb on the held low C on the Rh and the new keyboard has some lower notes in the way. I need to re-learn it a bit and get it back into practice, that's all because I have no doubts about this one; it was made for the concertina to my mind. As an experiment it's a complete success.

The Bach, on the other hand, I am still as uncertain about as I was when I did the original post. I think perhaps it's just a bit of a curate's egg; some parts sound great, but sometimes those building chords get just too much. I've been 'off' it lately and it needs a bit of practice too. I've experimented with cutting the long notes short in the past but never with any results I liked. I must have another look at it.

I don't play either of them at the moment! The Debussy only because I have a new favourite instrument and it has a different keyboard. I used to use my thumb on the held low C on the Rh and the new keyboard has some lower notes in the way. I need to re-learn it a bit and get it back into practice, that's all because I have no doubts about this one; it was made for the concertina to my mind. As an experiment it's a complete success.

So, that is what you get for cheating..... using your thumb ... what ever next ?

So, that is what you get for cheating..... using your thumb ... what ever next ?

Thumbs are very badly designed. You can only use them on a couple of notes in the bottom corner of the keyboard; they won't arch over the outer notes to get to any inner ones, at least mine won't, but it is a useful extra trick and, particularly, sometimes saves you dragging your hand a long way off centre to reach middle C and its sharp on the right.