Circa 1900 Picture.

Rex

Look at the fingers. Even if you or I were posing for a picture and not playing, would our fingers likely take on such a clueless position?

I wonder if a harmonica player would say something similar about the way that instrument is being held. Ans shouldn't the resonator on the bow be aimed at the audience, rather than toward the "musician's" chest? :unsure:

shouldn't the resonator on the bow be aimed at the audience, rather than toward the "musician's" chest? :unsure:

No, the berimbau is played with the gourd resonator pointed towards the chest. The tone is modulated by pressing the opening into the body and moving it away again, giving a "wah-wah" sort of sound.

A quick search found some samples:

http://www.capoeirista.com/music_rhythms.html

The unusual poses might have something to do with the way they had to stay still for so long, required with early photography.

Edited by Boney

This photo, with many others, can be found as part of the extensive liner notes for the "Squash Box" CD issued by Silex/Memoire in 1993.

Oh! By the way, these concertina players can play. They just don't play 'the thing' the same way you/we are used to hearing it played.

Edited by Sandy Winters

David.when I pick up my heavy-as-hell 44key Jeffries,it assumes this exact position ! Hence the knee support or whatever. Robin

Add to that in 1900 film, lenses, etc. were still very slow. They didn't do snap shots but rather posed. These souls very likely had be sitting for this picture and perhaps previous poses for many minutes and may have been very weary of it all. It is way too bad that we can't hear them.