Bertram Levy Daylong Workshop on American Fiddle Styles

BertramLevy

...the principles are applicable to all instruments...

Would it make any sense attending the workshop (Massachusetts) playing a Hayden Duet?

Hi David,

Bertram came to Palestine, Texas a few years ago and did workshops. I play a Crane duet. I have to say that I enjoyed him immensely and took all sorts of tidbits from the workshops. He does do a lot with fingering that isn't useful, but the rest of it was. He did a master class where I was able to play a piece and he critiqued it. If you can manage something like that, well... I learned much.

Kind regards and take care.

Kurt

Thanks, Kurt. Good hearing from you. I had a feeling that might be the case. I'm going to see if I can get away that weekend.

...the principles are applicable to all instruments...

Would it make any sense attending the workshop (Massachusetts) playing a Hayden Duet?

...Having said that there will be a considerable discussion of principles of learning on the instrument, practice and study techniques, tehnical aspects of bellows use and accenting, fingering attacks for legato and staccato, phrasing, stylistic details of American fiddle bowing styles to the concertina and coujnterpoint with voice leading basslines Wish I knew more about the crane system but unfortunately my plate is full just trying to keep the claves of the C/G Anglo and the bandoneon seperate.

Bertram

Hi David,

Bertram came to Palestine, Texas a few years ago and did workshops. I play a Crane duet. I have to say that I enjoyed him immensely and took all sorts of tidbits from the workshops. He does do a lot with fingering that isn't useful, but the rest of it was. He did a master class where I was able to play a piece and he critiqued it. If you can manage something like that, well... I learned much.

Kind regards and take care.

Kurt

Thanks, Kurt. Good hearing from you. I had a feeling that might be the case. I'm going to see if I can get away that weekend.

Well, I just registered at the Button Box workshop. Maybe I'll even borrow a C/G (I have no experience playing one, but it can't hurt to have one at hand).

Note, the workshop is not actually at the Button Box, it's in Amherst, at the Unitarian Universalist Church, which should be familiar to anyone who has been to any but the most recent of the Northeast Concertina Workshops.

Anybody else going or want to share a ride?

Anybody else going or want to share a ride?

I'm going (my initial belief that I couldn't turned out to be incorrect), but coming from the opposite direction...echoing David's question: anyone want to share a ride from Boston and its environs?

Joshua Mackay-Smith

• 2 weeks later...

Need I ride from boston. Is there anyone in boston going to the workshop that could give me a ride on Saturday morning March 3?

thanks

Bertram

I'll be driving out in the morning--I'll send you a PM.

Joshua

Need I ride from boston. Is there anyone in boston going to the workshop that could give me a ride on Saturday morning March 3?

thanks

Bertram

Joshua

thanks Joshua I appreciate that very much I will need to be there about 20 - 30 minutes before the workshop begins. Is that too early for you?

Bertram

thanks

Bertram

Joshua

thanks Joshua I appreciate that very much I will need to be there about 20 - 30 minutes before the workshop begins. Is that too early for you?

Bertram

It shouldn't be a problem. I sent you a PM earlier--we can work out details through that, or email if that's more convenient (I'll send you another PM with my email address in it).