Hawkwood Concertina Band Weekend

I just wanted to write a brief note about the Hawkwood band weekend these past few days to thank all concerned, and especially Jenny Cox for organising this marvellous event. It was great to see everyone again, plus a few new faces. One highlight among many for me was Dave Townsend leading the massed ranks of concertinas through his new work for band plus solo baritone (played by Pauline de Snoo) - a Fantasia on Vaughan Williams's "Linden Lea". The band certainly achieved an unexpected level of subtlety! Another innovation this year was the addition of a percussionist, which provided a welcome additional texture to the sound of the band.

Needless to say, I'm far too tired to manage to do anything particularly constructive today, and my eyes still need considerable protection from sunlight B)

(edited to repair dreadful prose!)

Edited by stuart estell

A superb weekend, nearly 20 hours of band play spread over Friday evening to Sunday mid afternoon, 45ish bandsmen (& women), around 8 Bass instruments, inclusive of contrabasses, pehaps a dozen baritones, 50 ish trebles and a piccolo!. Arrangements running four treble parts, two barry and somethimes two bass parts! and then the drummer.

Band or a BAND????

Of couse socially some people (Hi stu) stopped up late playing and singing together until the early (or late) hours of the morning,..........

I took my daughter this year, and the bands peoples' ages range was 17/ 18 yrs old all the way through to..............I suppose, er well retired.

so lots of disciplined play, challenge, good age mix, and a fine social element.

Dave