Three English Concertinas For Sale At Whitby Folk Festival

John Dipper

Hello,

I'm at Whitby Folk Festival all week, performing with James Patterson and then With Alma Fiddle band. I have three English concertinas with me that are for sale.

Tenor Edeopone - just restored by Colin Dipper. Lovely 1920's model, in modern pitch and with silver capped keys.

Excelsior - just renovated by Colin Dipper

Raised ended Wheatstone played by Ron Marks.

Please contact me for more details and prices.

post-6474-0-63878500-1440544607_thumb.jpgpost-6474-0-23387100-1440544639_thumb.jpgpost-6474-0-82338100-1440544670_thumb.jpg

I am also at Towersey Festival on Sunday as well.

All lovely-looking and promising... Colin has made a new bellows for the Excelsior, hasn't he?

I would be in the market for a second one (as I really cherish the one I'm playing) for backup purposes, could I spare the money..., or a Tenor Edeo, which would be great anyways...

So good luck with the sales! Wolf

John, I'm not in the market & forgive the stupid question but I am curious.

I was looking at a couple of Tenors recently, but both had only 35 keys, so I'm just wondering how come your Tenor Edeopone has so many keys?

Is it a Tenor / Treble or just a Tenor with a lot more options?

Cheers,

Dick

John, I'm not in the market & forgive the stupid question but I am curious.

I was looking at a couple of Tenors recently, but both had only 35 keys, so I'm just wondering how come your Tenor Edeopone has so many keys?

Is it a Tenor / Treble or just a Tenor with a lot more options?

I don't know if Lachenal had different terminology, but in old Wheatstone price lists all "tenors" seemed to be listed as "tenor treble", whether they had 35, 48, 56, 64, or some other number of buttons. The common factors were that that their low note was C below middle C (giving the "tenor" part of the name) and their fingering in the treble range was the same as a treble (hence the "treble"). I.e., they were trebles extended downward, with differences in the number of buttons reflecting differences in the top of the range. I suspect that if the term "tenor" was used, it was simply a shorter synonym for "tenor treble".

More recently, it's become common to refer to tenor-trebles with 48 or fewer buttons as simply "tenor" and those with 56 or more as "tenor treble". (If you find one with more than 48 and fewer than 56, I'd like to know more.)

From what I've heard, the 35-button "tenors" (or "tenor trebles") were mostly intended for concertina band use, especially for marching bands, where the parts played didn't go especially high but reduced weight could be desirable. Also, the few I've seen tended to have larger reed chambers... for a more "robust" sound?

I'll be interested to hear what John has to say about such terminology.

Not much Wifi at Whitby - sorry for delayed reply.

Wolf; no the bellows are original on the Excelsior, with L-Pattern Lachenal papers.

Dick; the Edeophone has more buttons because it is a tenor-treble, and goes down to an octave below Middle-C, s as well as going as high as a standard treble.

Best wishes,

John

Dick; the Edeophone has more buttons because it is a tenor-treble, and goes down to an octave below Middle-C, s as well as going as high as a standard treble.

Best wishes,

John

Thanks for clearing that up John.

It looks rather tasty alright. I'm sure you won't have it for long. ;)

Cheers,

Dick