Recycling Bellows

I am curious if any forum members have attempted to combine 2 sets of (5 fold) bellows into one set of 8 fold bellows?Both sets have damage. Four and a half folds on each set are in good order, as are all the ends. I was thinking of a framing/divider element in the middle as to marry the two sets. I suspect it would be easier to buy a new set, but I am a cheapskate.

Hi Nicx66,

Yes I have, as I'm also a cheapskate but also like a challenge. I have some old bellows from 48 key EC's that appeared to be in reasonable(ish) order, nothing a partial rebind and a few gussets would not cure.

After cutting card for some delaminating cards, inserting new fabric hinges, and spending two days removing old end papers, rotten leather and replacing half a dozen gussets I gave up and ordered new bellows, it would prove cheaper in the end once I realised that it would be better to disassemble the whole thing and start again. Really minimal repairs may be workable but its like buying an old car, the rust you see is 10% of the rust you will find and the cost rises to match.

All the best with your project. I've given up on mine for the moment but may go back to it in a few months once I have finished restoring three other concertinas to working order.

Mike

As the Bellows is the Lungs, if not the heart, of a concertina it is an extremely important part of a wind instrument and a new bellows is a joy to use. If you are a cheapskate buy one from 'sandylaneman' ... you'll find him on Ebay... and fit it yourself. He makes a reasonable bellows at a very reasonable price.