Member reputation

I'm almost positive that this is new with the new release. How does it work? I just noticed that I now have a rating of 3 out of 5 ("Neutral"). I just tried to rate another member as 5 out of 5, but he still shows as having no reputation -- but perhaps reputation and rating are different functions.

Edited by Daniel Hersh

I'm almost positive that this is new with the new release. How does it work? I just noticed that I now have a rating of 3 out of 5 ("Neutral"). I just tried to rate another member as 5 out of 5, but he still shows as having no reputation -- but perhaps reputation and rating are different functions.

Hi Daniel

I believe they are two different functions. Nearest I can find, rating a person with stars can only be done from the profile page of a member. Mouseover the number of stars to cast your vote.

The reputation looks like a rating up or down on individual posts. It's accessed by the +or- on the lower right of individual posts. From your 3 Neutral rating, I think 3 posts were voted with a +, or one post was voted with 3 +. I'm not sure whether 3- will return it to 0 (zero) though.

Either case looks to me like an anonymous popularity poll.

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo
  • Like 3

I am pleased that I have a "Neutral" Reputation

I would not be sure how others would view a "5" High Reputation you could get comments like "The Swine" fancy having a reputation like that!! or, like wise a minus reputation "He's not even worth talking to".

I will stick and be happy with my Neutral that's good enough for me.

Al ;)

ps Talking of swine's

A chap I know now only has "Bacon Flu" as he has been Cured.

A banning is in the post !!

Edited by Alan Day
  • Like 1

'Reputation' for what ? Rating based upon what, and awarded by whom ?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

Awarded by other members, based on any criteria they wish to use, I suppose.

'Reputation' for what ? Rating based upon what, and awarded by whom ?
  • Like 1

Hey! I just noticed I've got a -1 on one of my posts!?

my reputation is now -1 Neutral...I don't like it being Red though. >:(

(just noticed you can + & - your own posts to affect it)

Edited by LDT
  • Like 4

Hmmm... I don't think I like this. It's a bit like a kangaroo court where you never meet the accuser or the jury.

Or like an exclusive fraternity that can blackball members for any reason the members chose.

It smacks of elitism and anonymous buggery- whatever that may be.

It just doesn't seem right. Like a poison-pen letter from somebody who doesn't identify himself.

Don't worry LTD- I'm going to give you five big fat positive stars now. If I can figure out how to do it.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

What about 'User rating' up the top right? Is that another popularity poll?

Hi Dirge

Yes it is, with the word anonymous added.

From the help file, the difference of each:

If enabled, you will see reputation options in the corner below each post. You may see an icon representing the reputation other members have given for that post, along with icons to give reputation. To give the post a positive reputation, click the + icon or to give the post a negative reputation, click the - icon.

You may only be able to give positive or negative reputation, and for some users you may not be able to give reputation at all.

Rating a User

The profile supports a user rating system. This will let other users rate down users that cause problems, or value the rating of good users. To edit the rating, bring up the member's profile, then click on the stars to choose the rating.

Rating

You may be able to rate the user by selecting one of the stars at the top of their profile. If you can rate a user, the stars will change color as you move your mouse over them. If you cannot rate the user, you will not be able to select the stars. You cannot rate yourself. You may be able to change your rating. To do this, just click on a different star and your vote will be updated.

• Like 1

Yes, just voted your post 'positive' by way of an experiment.

Blimey. It's like being on Big Brother.

And 5 stars for always being helpful (which you are). And I see someone has already got at me and I'm down to 4. I can see a lot of entertainment here after a heavy night...

I'm not sure I'm too comfortable with all this.

(5 minutes later) But now I've found another poor soul with NONE, so perhaps I'm up to four? It still seems a bit invidious.

Edited by Dirge
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, just voted your post 'positive' by way of an experiment.

Blimey. It's like being on Big Brother.

And 5 stars for always being helpful (which you are). And I see someone has already got at me and I'm down to 4. I can see a lot of entertainment here after a heavy night...

I'm not sure I'm too comfortable with all this.

(5 minutes later) But now I've found another poor soul with NONE, so perhaps I'm up to four? It still seems a bit invidious.

Hi Dirge

Oh Yeah!! Well, I'll take your +1 and change your -1 to 0 and up yours to +1 on another post. So there, take that. OOPS it's supposed to be anonymous. :P

I wasn't sure if they would average out, now I know they do.

Thanks

Leo :lol:

Edited by Leo

A lot of the noisier internet forums use this form of moderation to add a level of self policing to the forums with sanctions available to moderators to deal with low scoring individuals etc.

Other social networking sites use comment "karma" where comments are ranked and presented by score.

All well and good on sites where the great unwashed battle it out every day on politics and celebrity culture.

Utterly innappropriate on a members forum where minor disagreements tend not to escalate too much and the moderator has a firm hand.

These particular gizmos can be divisive in a friendly environment where members can wreak havoc after a minor tiff by voting down all their adversaries posts. Whilst it may be fun to try out in a thread like this, I'd strongly suggest that Paul takes a look at whether these features are really needed in a cosy place like c.net forums. My vote (and a poll might be the answer) is that these features be disabled going forward.

Simon

Edit: now I'm getting upvotes, I'm changing my mind.......

Edited by Simon H
  • Like 6

A lot of the noisier internet forums use this form of moderation to add a level of self policing to the forums with sanctions available to moderators to deal with low scoring individuals etc.

Other social networking sites use comment "karma" where comments are ranked and presented by score.

All well and good on sites where the great unwashed battle it out every day on politics and celebrity culture.

Utterly innappropriate on a members forum where minor disagreements tend not to escalate too much and the moderator has a firm hand.

These particular gizmos can be divisive in a friendly environment where members can wreak havoc after a minor tiff by voting down all their adversaries posts. Whilst it may be fun to try out in a thread like this, I'd strongly suggest that Paul takes a look at whether these features are really needed in a cosy place like c.net forums. My vote (and a poll might be the answer) is that these features be disabled going forward.

Simon

Edit: now I'm getting upvotes, I'm changing my mind.......

Actually, I think I'll just start auctioning off the reputation rankings on eBay. This way I'll make money from the auctions AND by all the extra traffic from all the postings by people complaining about how unfair the eBay reputation auctions are. What genius... Man, I should be working on Wall Street...

Paul

• Like 2