Selection of Tutor

Germoe

Hi!

I'm looking for some anglo concertina tutorial. I narrowed the selection to The Concertina Demystified (Bertram Levy), In-Between Anglo and The Irish Concertina (both Mick Bramwich). What do you think, should I take them all, only one xor two (which); what could you say about them?

I have got concertina for several years at home but more actively I play last year. But in my country is only one player and he don't live in my region and he don't play too actively for almost ten years so I'm self-taught. Previously I learned to play classical guitar eight years so I know music theory a little; and now I play the bodhrán in one band four years so I have some expirience with Irish music.

Thanks.

JJ

I would suggest you chose one book or the other and go all the way (or most of the way) through it, and then tackle the other. I no longer remember which of these I did first, but I got a lot out of both of them and each has useful things to teach. Bramich will give you some ideas with melody lines, while Levy encourages you to consider many aspects of the instrument, including harmony and two-hand playing. You will have fun!

Ken

It souinds as though you like Irish music so I'd advise Mick Bramich's book as it's the only one I found which was detailed enough, unfortunately the 'top guns' haven't written tutors. If you find reading it is better you van take it slowly nad write in other information by pencil. If youcan get athe CD that accompanies it that will help.

Mick is on Facebook too.

Dan Worrrall's books on the Anglo and his CD Rom would be very helpful and are mentioned on other posts on concertina net.

The Online Academy of Irish Muischas good visual and sound tuition (already mentioned in another post)

All the best.

Mike

Thought I would add My two cents worth.

As a fairly new player of the concertina(I play other instruments as well)I started with and am still working through Levy's book, Since I am leaning toward the Irish sytle I have also started Bramich's "Irish Concertina". As I am new to the instrument I have found Levy's book(with Cd's) highly efective, in teaching me to use the instrument and understanding the why and the how of playing. That foundation I am building has helped with the Bramich book. If I had not started Levy's book first I think I would have just been pressing buttons.