What (or Who) Is Your Avatar?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look closely it shows my Aeola treble: key board, action and reed pan. I had a hell of a job glueing the concertina back together after the photo was taken; but thankfully it still works and you cannot find the join! :blink:

Dave

Be careful, Dave. Someone may report you to the SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Aeolas). WAIT! That knock on the door could be the Concertina Police!

Write if you need bail,

Dick

won't get me I wore gloves and a false beard to cover my usual beard, but the bail money would be nice please.

SPCA, is that the secret millitant arm of the CPA (Concertina Preservation Association, nothing to do with the Child Protection Agency as some believe) :ph34r:

Dave

That knock on the door could be the Concertina Police!

I am the Concertina Police.

"FREEZE!! I have a concertina - and I'm not afaraid to use it!"

"Now, gently place that Jefferies 30 button anglo back on the table and no one will get hurt!"

the bail money would be nice please.

Dave

I think you misunderstood, Dave.

I said, "Write if you need bail."

I didn't say I'd send it!

I think the family and the rest of the street would be more than pleased to see the Konzertina Politzi (KP, as in the nuts) drag me off in chains just to stop me playing and torturing poor little tinas.

They would pay you the bail money just to get rid of me! :(

Dave

They would pay you the bail money just to get rid of me! :(

Dave

Hmmmm.

"We're holding an airplane full of concertina players hostage. If we don't get $12,000,000, we'll start releasing one of them every hour!"

This might have potential, Dave!

Regards,

Dick

Dave,

I am sorry for your loss, although I have never heard of the individuals you mention, nor of the names of any of the other victims of the 11th September attack.

I have to say that I took Dick's comment as a bit of light entertainment, never considering the parallel that you related to. I recognise that with the approach of the anniversery some people who had close connections with those directly affected by the attack will be feeling particularly sensitive. I think it behoves us all to remember the international nature of this forum, and recognise national as well as personal sensitivities. I freely confess that I would not have dreamed of the association until you pointed it out, indeed it took a few moments to work out what you were getting at.

Living in the UK we are a step removed from the direct consequences of that day.

regards and regrets

Dave Elliott

We're holding an airplane full of concertina players hostage.

Not funny.

Two Morris Dancers, friends to many on this forum, were lost two years ago.

I'm very sorry for your loss, David. I lost a number of personal friends in the World Trade Center buildings.

If the terrorists of the world are able to rob us of our sense of humor, and cause us to live on edge; they have caused far more damage than they dreamed possible.

Best regards,

Dick

Living in the UK we are a step removed from the direct consequences of that day.

If the terrorists of the world are able to rob us of our sense of humor, and cause us to live on edge; they have caused far more damage than they dreamed possible.

Apologies for moving further from the topic of concertinas and avatars, but I feel I must answer publicly.

First of all, those who know me (or have read some of my posts here) will attest that I most certainly have not lost my sense of humor, and do not sit around all day bemoaning the loss of two individuals I knew but were not close friends. Nevertheless, certain things that used to be funny just aren't anymore. Ethnic jokes, sexist jokes and jokes about captive passengers on hijacked airplanes are certainly on the list.

I also feel a little uneasy accepting the sentiment (twice, here) "Sorry for your loss." It was not my loss, just as it is not just a New York thing or even an America thing. It was a human tragedy that affected the entire planet. I would remind Mr. Elliott that more British subjects died at the World Trade Center attack than in any other single event since the end of WWII.

Edited by David Barnert

Nevertheless, certain things that used to be funny just aren't anymore. Ethnic jokes, sexist jokes and jokes about captive passengers on hijacked airplanes are certainly on the list.

David,

You may, at your discretion, add or delete subjects on the list of things you find humorous.

I will never attempt to correct you.

Best regards,

Dick

• 3 weeks later...