Forums Upgrade

Yes, the forum software upgrade was completed by Invision yesterday (I paid them to do it to make sure it went smoothly and no data was lost). Everything is properly installed and upgraded, but the templates/skins are reset to mostly default settings because it was a pretty major version upgrade, so old customizations were lost.

So I'll be working to reset the templates, adding back the logos, ads, and links as appropriate.

Some other settings may have been reset (like the max file/photo upload setting which I just increased back to a larger value to allow more photo uploads per user), so if things aren't working as expected, just send me (or Ken Coles) an email or PM and I'll try to fix it.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I would like to add my thanks to you for caring so much about this forum. It was very nice of you to upgrade it. I always find change hard to deal with, but if I stick with it, usually the changes enhance my life. So thanks.

Happy new year to you and everyone on Concertina.net.

Helen

Thanks are due to you as ever, Paul, for putting your time and your money into hosting this superb community.

I'll second that (or 10th it or 800th it or whatever)

ps doing full refresh on the forum pages helps a lot (I'm at work with a different browser and OS now) - for this browser, Shift-Refresh got all the new styled icons on board and various other subtle changes happened that this system had been hanging back with.

Chris Jordan

I just want to say that this new IPB interface has made my life in the concertina.net forums much easier. Thank you, Paul. One simple change has made it simpler to make sure I've had a chance to view every post that has appeared since I last logged off: The "your last visit" time is not updated during a session.

With the old system, looking at the posts through the "View New Posts" page, after looking at a few posts I would notice that it was cueing to the last post on each page rather than the first unread post, because it had updated the "your last visit" time to the present. Worse, if (while I was reading the new posts) a new post appeared in a topic that wasn't on the "View New Posts" page, I could very easily miss it.

Now, hitting the "View New Posts" link always shows me all the posts that have appeared since the last time I logged off, so after I have read through them, I can click the link again and see what new posts have appeared while I was reading.

Is everybody doing this?

-or-

Am I the only one anal enough to want to see every post?

-or-

Does everyone else know a simpler way that I don't? :unsure:

Now, hitting the "View New Posts" link always shows me all the posts that have appeared since the last time I logged off, so after I have read through them, I can click the link again and see what new posts have appeared while I was reading.

Is everybody doing this?

-or-

Am I the only one anal enough to want to see every post?

David,

I'm sitting here laughing hysterically because I just did exactly the same thing. :lol: :lol:

Yours in anal compulsiveness (should that have a hyphen?),

Michael

Now, hitting the "View New Posts" link always shows me all the posts that have appeared since the last time I logged off,....

'S funny. I seem to be getting the opposite problem. Now, I can close my browser, reopen it some time later, and have the posts/Topics I read earlier in the day still marked as unread. Although I've read them all, I have to open each Topic to discover whether there's something that's actually new.

Do I have to explicitly click on the "Log Out" link before I close my browser? Ah, and what if I've read some of the Topics, but not all of them? Well, maybe tomorrow I'll find time to experiment.

What I'd really like is an "I'm finished with this one" button on each post, since sometimes there's a post I want to respond to, but I don't have time at the moment. If it takes me a day or two to get back to it, I have to go searching through the previous days' many posts to locate the one I want. Sometimes I just give up. I really want a way to segregate messages into "still interested" (including, at least for me, unread) and "no longer interested". In a sense, what I want is to be able to tell the system which posts to remember, not have it remember things based on criteria that are useless to me.

What I'd really like is an "I'm finished with this one" button on each post, since sometimes there's a post I want to respond to, but I don't have time at the moment.

In lieu of a feature in the forum software, try this:

If you click the "Post #" link at the top of the message you want to save, it pops up a dialog box with the direct link to the post. Save the link in a local text file, and copy them back into your browser when you're ready to respond.

Not an ideal method, and not everything you're looking for, but it might do in a pinch.

'S funny.  I seem to be getting the opposite problem.  Now, I can close my browser, reopen it some time later, and have the posts/Topics I read earlier in the day still marked as unread.  Although I've read them all, I have to open each Topic to discover whether there's something that's actually new.

I noticed this same thing after I wrote the my post, but I don't see it as a problem. I'd much rather have it this way than the old way. The answer to your statement at the end of the above quote is that since they are arranged in reverse-chronological order, as long as you remember about what time you last logged off, you only need to look at the topics from there up.

Apparently, it takes some time (more than 15 minutes, less than a few hours?) before the "your last visit" time is updated. I like this: if your system crashes or your session is otherwise interrupted, you can get right back on and pick up where you left off.

Do I have to explicitly click on the "Log Out" link before I close my browser?

No. I never click the "Log Out" link unless I'm on a different computer (at work, internet cafe, etc.).

What I'd really like is an "I'm finished with this one" button on each post, since sometimes there's a post I want to respond to, but I don't have time at the moment.

I agree. I'd also like to be able to ignore a whole thread. I'd also like to be able to read all posts since an arbitrary time (although this was from my pre-upgrade wish list, and it may be less important now).

If you click the "Post #" link at the top of the message you want to save, it pops up a dialog box with the direct link to the post.

Hey, I didn't know about that! Was it also there in the old version?

I think that's very useful, for various purposes. :)

Well, here's my latest scenario:

.. I clicked on View New Posts, and I viewed them, then went Back to the Forums main page, but I didn't Log Out or close my browser.

.. A while later, I again clicked on View New Posts, and while it listed all the Topics I had just read, none had the bright blue buttons that indicate there's something new/unread.

.. Then I closed my browser.

.. Later -- I think at least an hour after my earlier reading of the posts -- I reopened my browser, went to C.net Forums, and clicked on View New Posts. Now it shows me all the Topics I read previously, and they all have the bright blue buttons that indicate unread posts... except that there aren't any new ones, only the ones that I read previously (and for which the system earlier had apparently recorded the fact that I'd looked at them).

So how/why did the system lose that information, which it had previously?

Now, hitting the "View New Posts" link always shows me all the posts that have appeared since the last time I logged off,....

'S funny. I seem to be getting the opposite problem. Now, I can close my browser, reopen it some time later, and have the posts/Topics I read earlier in the day still marked as unread. Although I've read them all, I have to open each Topic to discover whether there's something that's actually new.

Do I have to explicitly click on the "Log Out" link before I close my browser? Ah, and what if I've read some of the Topics, but not all of them? Well, maybe tomorrow I'll find time to experiment.

What I'd really like is an "I'm finished with this one" button on each post, since sometimes there's a post I want to respond to, but I don't have time at the moment. If it takes me a day or two to get back to it, I have to go searching through the previous days' many posts to locate the one I want. Sometimes I just give up. I really want a way to segregate messages into "still interested" (including, at least for me, unread) and "no longer interested". In a sense, what I want is to be able to tell the system which posts to remember, not have it remember things based on criteria that are useless to me.

Have you tried the "Track this topic" option?