Seattle Washington

206 634 1662

Saturday March 3 2012

Button Box

www.buttonbox.com

42 Amherst Rd

Sunderland MA 01375

413 665 7793

A daylong intensive workshop based on methods as described in the new tutor: American Fiddle Styles for the Anglo Concertina. The workshop will aim to cover techniques for learning tunes efficiently and developing a better understanding of fingering options. In addition the participants will learn the elements of style in playing American fiddle tunes.

There will be 3 sessions:

1. Learning tunes efficiently. Starting with simple tunes, we will explore the technique for visualizing phrases in the form of hand shapes. Tunes: Shoes and Stocking, Old Molly Hare, Lady of the Lake. For all levels

2. Stylistic Techniques of double stops, triplets and counterpoint as ornamentation for American Fiddle tunes: Shady Grove , Granny, Sally Ann Johnson, 28th of January. Intermediate level

3. Principles of harmonic arrangements of fiddle tunes through counterpoint and chords. Rock the Cradle Joe, Rose Division Intermediate level

A concert will follow in the evening of each event

For registration and information please contact either www.dustystrings.com or www.buttonbox.com

keep us updated if you ever make it to the chicagoland or anywhere else in the midwest!

Hi David,

would love to come to chicago and do a workshop and concert I have had some inteest from some musicians in Minnesota. Are there enough concertinists in the chicago area to make it worthwhile?

Bertram

I'm assuming the workshop will be of limited use to those of us playing unusual Anglo layouts.

--Dave

Hi Dave

I think the workshops will be valuable for any player as the principles are applicable to all anglos. I would recommend at least trying the morning class as I will start by teaching a method for learning tunes that is extremely useful. Also we will be exploring many related topics such as bellows movement and articulation. You can then decide about the other two classes - the first one in the afternoon will focus on the American fiddle style ornementation - in parrticular double stops. Double stops on the fiddle define the rhythm and harmony. Accomplishing this on the anglo has its own set of challenges that need to be discussed. We will start with a simple tune and learn the guidelines to applying this to more complex melodies. Most of the double stops taught will use standard buttons that most instruments should have. When you go back to your own instrument the principles should work the same though your keys will be different The last session will deal with accompaniment through counterpoint instead of simple chords on the left and melody on the right. We will explore voice leading baselines.

I have an extra 30 button CG that I would be happy to let you use for the workshop if you let me know in advance.

The evening concert will be at the Island Music Center on Bainbridge - I will be sure to end it with enough time to take a ferry back home to Seattle. I will be having a bassist and guitarist with me and will be doing a wide variety of music from North America fiddle tradition, Latin America, Europe and even Africa. Some of the music is out there in the tangoshpere. I will be playing the bandoneon as well as the concertina.

Bertram

Would that I could go...

Sorry you cant make it - Appreciate if you could spread the word. thanks Bertram

The word is spread--and I may be able to make the one at the Button Box after all. Here's hoping.

Bertram,

I play a very unusual G/D (layout linked in my signature), and have never played a C/G. How much trouble do you think I'd have with my layout and your class?

--Dave

Sorry I am not dialed into how to access your layout in the signature but I think you can manage the C/G for the first class - The technique is based on translating phrases into hand positions - it is derived form a bandoneon method - I have taught a tune to someone using this method without a concertina. I am not sure about the afternoon classes but the principles are applicable to all instruments as I said in the above communication. who knows you might even get turned on to the C/G system - it's very well thought out and you can play comfortably in most keys (with study).

Would that I could go...

Sorry you cant make it - Appreciate if you could spread the word. thanks Bertram

The word is spread--and I may be able to make the one at the Button Box after all. Here's hoping.

thanks for spreading the word - I hope you can - it would be nice to meet you

Bertram

keep us updated if you ever make it to the chicagoland or anywhere else in the midwest!

Hi David,

would love to come to chicago and do a workshop and concert I have had some inteest from some musicians in Minnesota. Are there enough concertinists in the chicago area to make it worthwhile?

Bertram

I guess it all depends on if you do a concert when you are in town and if you are looking for an organization to sponsor the event. I think the best way to do it would be through the Old Town School of Folk Music, because they have a very far reach and interest all sorts of folk musicians.

I am an Irish musician, so my experience is biased towards that, and I would say that there are not as many concertina teachers or professionals in the area as one would expect. Nevertheless, I think there is a strong but spread out contingent of hobbyists. That would mean that there is a lot of room for someone of your expertise! The Old Town School, for example, does not even list any concertina classes, even though I know there is a demand for teachers.

I am not sure how much I could help, but if you are interested please send me a PM or email through the site and we could discuss it some more. I also might have ideas of some other midwestern cities where a smaller event might be more possible, if that is more your style.

Edited by david_boveri

...the principles are applicable to all instruments...

Would it make any sense attending the workshop (Massachusetts) playing a Hayden Duet?

Hi David I am not sure -the workshop is a hands on session and will attempt to make sense out of the 30 button C/G system. I will also be giving a perspective on the various sections of my new book that will help people better approach the material As I result it wpuld be more of a listening day for you which is never as much fun. Having said that there will be a considerable discussion of principles of learning on the instrument, practice and study techniques, tehnical aspects of bellows use and accenting, fingering attacks for legato and staccato, phrasing, stylistic details of American fiddle bowing styles to the concertina and coujnterpoint with voice leading basslines Wish I knew more about the crane system but unfortunately my plate is full just trying to keep the claves of the C/G Anglo and the bandoneon seperate.

Bertram

Hi David,

Bertram

I guess it all depends on if you do a concert when you are in town and if you are looking for an organization to sponsor the event. I think the best way to do it would be through the Old Town School of Folk Music, because they have a very far reach and interest all sorts of folk musicians.

I am an Irish musician, so my experience is biased towards that, and I would say that there are not as many concertina teachers or professionals in the area as one would expect. Nevertheless, I think there is a strong but spread out contingent of hobbyists. That would mean that there is a lot of room for someone of your expertise! The Old Town School, for example, does not even list any concertina classes, even though I know there is a demand for teachers.

I am not sure how much I could help, but if you are interested please send me a PM or email through the site and we could discuss it some more. I also might have ideas of some other midwestern cities where a smaller event might be more possible, if that is more your style.

Absolutely I would do a concert - I once played at the Old Town when I recorded for Flying Fish records (early 80s) I am very interested in discussing this with you in more detail - can you send me your email and phone to info@bertramlevy.com and I will call you.

thanks for your helo David

Bertram

Bertram It'd be great to see and hear you in UK. Any plans, I would be pleased to help with contacts etc. The book is proving a great challenge and help and is applicable to all styles on Anglo I reckon.

Mike

I am very pleased that the book is helpful - it will get easier as you go I have been helping folks via Skype on Wednesday evenings who have questions on subjects in the book so if you need some help let me know.

I would very much like to tour in the UK and would like to discuss this with you in detail as to time of year etc. I would be up for workshops and concerts. My daughter and I have a fiddle concertina duo that would be great to bring to the uk. If you have skype I would appreciate sending your number to my web site info@bertramlevy.com and we will set up a time to talk.

thanksfor your interest Mike

...the principles are applicable to all instruments...

Would it make any sense attending the workshop (Massachusetts) playing a Hayden Duet?

Hi David,

Bertram came to Palestine, Texas a few years ago and did workshops. I play a Crane duet. I have to say that I enjoyed him immensely and took all sorts of tidbits from the workshops. He does do a lot with fingering that isn't useful, but the rest of it was. He did a master class where I was able to play a piece and he critiqued it. If you can manage something like that, well... I learned much.

Kind regards and take care.

Kurt