Jim Besser

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all!

here is my attempt

http://youtu.be/2VBeGZEXmhM

Very clean and confident playing (as expexted) in that steady hurdy-gurdy style..., really nice and, as for me, further proof of the emerging (and maybe, even "international") quality of the tune, since my own understanding appears to be pretty different - maybe more in the manner of playing the fiddle (or whistle), or more of an Anglo-Irish approach as opposed to something rather French? What do you say?

Best wishes - Wolf

Thanks all for kind comments.

About the issue of style or playing, I would say that one of the difference I noted between concertinists is the phrasing which is related to the type of concertina. Anglo players have some staccato playing because of the bellow action (puh and pull) but players of unisonoric system like english or duet concertina play mostly legato which is the natural phrasing. If you want to play staccato on these systems, you have to think about it and work it hard because it is not natural at all. It is the same thing with melodeons and chromatic accordions. The issue of phrasing is rarely tackled for squeeze instruments unlike wind or string instruments but I think we should from the beginning work to control staccato or legato playing like others instrumentists especially players of unisonoric systems. Anglo players are lucky that their instrument do the job for them. Legato in crossing style, staccato when the direction of the bellow changes.. :D

Thanks all for kind comments.

About the issue of style or playing, I would say that one of the difference I noted between concertinists is the phrasing which is related to the type of concertina. Anglo players have some staccato playing because of the bellow action (puh and pull) but players of unisonoric system like english or duet concertina play mostly legato which is the natural phrasing. If you want to play staccato on these systems, you have to think about it and work it hard because it is not natural at all. It is the same thing with melodeons and chromatic accordions. The issue of phrasing is rarely tackled for squeeze instruments unlike wind or string instruments but I think we should from the beginning work to control staccato or legato playing like others instrumentists especially players of unisonoric systems. Anglo players are lucky that their instrument do the job for them. Legato in crossing style, staccato when the direction of the bellow changes.. :D

Anglo players are lucky when the natural staccato push-pull quality works for the type of music they're playing - it's why most Morris dance players play Anglos, or bisonic accordions.

We're less lucky when we work on music than needs to be smooth. You don't see many Anglo players doing Playford music. Halsway is a good example - to my ear, it should be legato, but the limited alternative fingerings on a 30 key Anglo make that difficult. It's something I continue to work on, with mixed results.

Hi all!

here is my attempt

http://youtu.be/2VBeGZEXmhM

I really enjoyed your playing, tona. Especially your accompaniment, which was lovely. The EC really shines on this tune. As far as staccato or legato is concerned, I think the tune works well either way. The concertina is a relatively simple instrument, and part of the appeal is to see what can be accomplished with it.

About the issue of style or playing, I would say that one of the difference I noted between concertinists is the phrasing which is related to the type of concertina. Anglo players have some staccato playing because of the bellow action (puh and pull) but players of unisonoric system like english or duet concertina play mostly legato which is the natural phrasing.

I disagree on that one, Thomas.

AFAIC there are lots of differences in the styles of different individuals (and that's what I wanted to point out and have discussed in terms of sort of a typology as to the actual influences and traditions), but OTOH I'm hearing substantial differences between the systems too.

Even if not so many of us might choose to play the English in the way I do I reckon it's a way of taking advantage of what particularly can be done with the EC (when played in a "harmonic style"): interwoven quality of the music which is not partitioned in melody on the one hand (sense-making pun, isn't it) and accompaniment on the other hand, fluent ornamentation due to alternating scales a.s.f., which I'm trying to combine to a fiddle-like overall sound.

What you, Thomas, are doing, and have been doing here, appears to truly bear evidence of the Duet's "extra" capabilities, which might be stated as: steady playing (be it legato or deliberate staccato), indipendent chording (from oohm-pah to the really complex), in this case: chords that at times outreach the melody in the "zone" of overlapping (which is done to nice effects in the second half of your recording).

Of course we can let sound one system like just another, but nevertheless there's the typical (be it well-known or just elaborated) which is related to the layout and hardware at least at the point of its origin...

Best wishes - Wolf

Dear concertina.net i just stopped by to thank you guys for choosing my tune this month, of course it's been overwhelming to see the posts and hear the fabulous versions, there's actually 162 versions now, most of which can be seen and heard on the facebook page "Halsway and The Halsway Carol" I've reposted the links you've been so kind to post here on the fb page also. I've also sent them to the main Dutch Halsway site set up by a fan of the tune in Holland, they've been added to the list, (please say if any of you would prefer your version to be removed, I really hope none of you do, they are all totally lovely) anyway he's the chap who subtitled the site "The ultimate international tune" thing, it's not a claim i make of course, the expression might be somewhat lost in translation. I've been enjoying the discussion and comments, I'm so delighted you've found new ways to perform the tune and that it works so well on the concertina, with such varied chords and accompaniments too! I hope you keep 'em coming, gratefully yours nige

http://halsway.musicwebdesign.nl/

Dear concertina.net i just stopped by to thank you guys for choosing my tune this month, of course it's been overwhelming to see the posts and hear the fabulous versions, there's actually 162 versions now, most of which can be seen and heard on the facebook page "Halsway and The Halsway Carol" I've reposted the links you've been so kind to post here on the fb page also. I've also sent them to the main Dutch Halsway site set up by a fan of the tune in Holland, they've been added to the list, (please say if any of you would prefer your version to be removed, I really hope none of you do, they are all totally lovely) anyway he's the chap who subtitled the site "The ultimate international tune" thing, it's not a claim i make of course, the expression might be somewhat lost in translation. I've been enjoying the discussion and comments, I'm so delighted you've found new ways to perform the tune and that it works so well on the concertina, with such varied chords and accompaniments too! I hope you keep 'em coming, gratefully yours nige

Nigel - thanks for stopping by and thanks for giving us such a great tune to work on this month! I'm still waiting for a version with concertina and hurdy gurdy, but that may be too much to hope for.

Nigel - thanks for stopping by and thanks for giving us such a great tune to work on this month! I'm still waiting for a version with concertina and hurdy gurdy, but that may be too much to hope for.

I ought to be able to organise that from where I live.... I'll see if I can interest my neighbours.... Oh and Hi Nigel!!

I ought to be able to organise that from where I live.... I'll see if I can interest my neighbours.... Oh and Hi Nigel!!

hello mate long time huh?

hello mate long time huh?

Yep, 29 years.! Hope all is well with you and yours.

Thanks for the tune too. Simple....yes , but that's the clever bit is it not.... easy enough to make a tune using lots of notes... making something enjoyable, catchy, addictive even and fun to dance to out of the eight notes of one octave... impressive !

best regards,

Geoff.

Hi all,

I am concertina beginner since last summer.

My concertina is a 30 button Clover C/G Anglo.

I really enjoy to read in this forum and also about the TOTM during the last 3 month.

May be that I am a little bit crazy to add my recording here, after listening to all the very professional played tunes above ( and Nigel Eaton posted something too )!

But Jim wrote something about „feel free“ and „all level“ and so here is my first very, very, beginner attempt:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s17ffqklipizyfs/Halsway-Schottische.mp3?dl=0

I would be happy to get some beginner tips so that my playing ( and my old school english ) will become better step by step.

Elke

Hi all,

I am concertina beginner since last summer.

My concertina is a 30 button Clover C/G Anglo.

I really enjoy to read in this forum and also about the TOTM during the last 3 month.

May be that I am a little bit crazy to add my recording here, after listening to all the very professional played tunes above ( and Nigel Eaton posted something too )!

But Jim wrote something about „feel free“ and „all level“ and so here is my first very, very, beginner attempt:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s17ffqklipizyfs/Halsway-Schottische.mp3?dl=0

I would be happy to get some beginner tips so that my playing ( and my old school english ) will become better step by step.

Elke

Yes - beginners are encouraged here at the TOTM.

But for some reason I"m having a hard time accessing your tune on Dropbox. Did you put it in the "public" folder? And then right click on the file and select "copy public link?" And then paste that into your concertina.net message.

That should give the rest of us a player so we can listen to your contribution!